Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road
Mast wiring strain relief

I am planning on taking Lily's mast down this winter, and re-wiring it, and getting the various lights working. There is an anchor light, steaming light, deck light and VHF antenna wire. I'm not worried about the actual wiring, but about strain relief, that is the thought of 35 feet of wiring hanging from a crimp connection for the next 5 - 10 years. I am thinking of getting some tubular webbing, and wire-tieing the harness to the webbing, then bolting or riveting the webbing to the mast top and bottom, hopefully with enough tension to keep the wires from slapping. My original thought was to use the long zip tie spider method to prevent slap, but I've got internal halyards and I'm not 100% sure that would work. Any thoughts, suggestions or cautions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road
lou

All those ideas sound very engineering/logical to me Lou
Taking off the strain! wonderful that you can get her down and do it right
I'll let some of the other guys get more technical
take care
Old 10-18-2012

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Re: Mast wiring strain relief

Be careful friend. Don't make the wires too tight in warmer weather. On a very cold day, they will be tighter still, perhaps too tight. Leave plenty of slack.
Old 10-19-2012

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I was planning on generous "slack loops" , just in case I did need to make repair, I'd hate to get to the top of the mast and find out the wire was 1/4 inch too short!
Thanks,
Lou
Old 10-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

The only problem with tieing themn together is if you have to work on one of them while the mast is up. I suggest you find a way to run the wires through a pvc conduit which you have attached in the mast.

It is a perfect time to also put a junction box in if you havent already so in the future when the mast comes down, everythi8ng is a quick disconnect.

Also use this time to run at least one or two messanger wires down the conduit permanently for future use.

Dave
miatapaul and copacabana like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-19-2012

Dave,
I thought about a conduit,but three things stop me, 1) doesn't address strain, 2) I don' t want to drill too many holes in the mast, 3) can' t figure out how to get the steaming/deck light wires out of the middle of the conduit to the fixtures.

The mast is deck stepped,current system is 3Dri-Plugs, deck,steaming and instrument,and the vhf coax and anchor wire through compression post and exiting in the bilge. I don't like the wires in the bilge at all. Since the mast will not be coming down that often, I'm not sure the Dri-Plugs are necessary. I'm thinking of a cable clam or similar for the through deck, a junction box in the cabin for the light wires, and a direct run for the vhf to the radio. Currently there are no instruments. I am thinking of Tacktick wireless wind instru ments, but that isn't in the budget until 2014 or 15. I will run couple of spare wires for repairs/ additions. I have this crazy hope, that supported wires, to proper connections,LED bulbs and lots of dielectric grease will hold off problems.
Thanks for making me think.
Lou
Old 10-22-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillia28 View Post
Dave,
I thought about a conduit,but three things stop me, 1) doesn't address strain, 2) I don' t want to drill too many holes in the mast, 3) can' t figure out how to get the steaming/deck light wires out of the middle of the conduit to the fixtures.

The mast is deck stepped,current system is 3Dri-Plugs, deck,steaming and instrument,and the vhf coax and anchor wire through compression post and exiting in the bilge. I don't like the wires in the bilge at all. Since the mast will not be coming down that often, I'm not sure the Dri-Plugs are necessary. I'm thinking of a cable clam or similar for the through deck, a junction box in the cabin for the light wires, and a direct run for the vhf to the radio. Currently there are no instruments. I am thinking of Tacktick wireless wind instru ments, but that isn't in the budget until 2014 or 15. I will run couple of spare wires for repairs/ additions. I have this crazy hope, that supported wires, to proper connections,LED bulbs and lots of dielectric grease will hold off problems.
Thanks for making me think.
Lou
If you're thinking about adding a through deck fitting consider this. I did quite a bit of shopping and concluded that while a bit expensive, it's the best thing out there. You can kick it, step on it, and add as many wires later on as you want.

I run the wires through this and then to a terminal block nearby inside the boat.

Salty John: Cableport and other fine boat and yacht chandlery products.

Through the Deck

Last edited by asdf38; 10-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

My keel stepped mast is 47' high. The electrical cables run through conduit from the base to the top of the mast. The only strain relief for the electrical cables is where they exit the mast. It's been that way for 26 years, and still works.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 10-22-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We dont have any strain releif except at the mast head where it is cale tied. The conduit will prevent it from swinging thus reducing the swing and therefore the strain.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-26-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

The PVC pipe conduit that Chef2sail recommends is a great idea. I did the same on my boat when I pulled the mast. I have internal halyards and the PVC conduit was the best way to organize the inside of the mast. To relieve stress on the wires, I pulled them up at the top of the mast and passed them through a clear plastic hose filled with polysulfide. This piece of hose is clamped and holds the weight of the wires, not the wires themselves. The junction box is also a good idea if you ever want to pull the mast again. It also allows you to get your voltmeter on the wires to troubleshoot. If you go with all LED lighting up the mast you can go with much thinner wire. Don't forget to change your fuses or breakers to the appropriate size for the new LED bulbs.