Simple 15A Shore Power In Small Boat (Looking to install in-line 15A AC Breaker) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Simple 15A Shore Power In Small Boat (Looking to install in-line 15A AC Breaker)

I'm sure you'll get feedback from some that are more familiar with ABYC requirements for permanently installing 110v power aboard. I've not seen it done without a mounted hull receptacle and a breaker panel. You bring 30amp to the panel and install a 15a breaker that runs to the internal receptacle.

Do this all correctly. Electrical fires are the number one cause of boat fires. More than engines, fuel and galleys.
chef2sail and boatpoker like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2012

Dubbinchris is on a distinguished road
Re: Simple 15A Shore Power In Small Boat (Looking to install in-line 15A AC Breaker)

I'd be interested in hearing about the proper way to do this as well.

What are some sources for learning how to properly wire AC on a small boat?
Old 11-30-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

I have found much of this thread difficut to follow but going from a 30amp pedestal through an 15amp adatpter to a 30amp boat is contrary to NEC, NFPA303 and ABYC E-11.

By doing this you are turning the 15amp cord into a 15amp fuse. If the breaker on your boat is 30amp and you turn things on totaling more than 15amps ... things will melt before a breaker trips.
Old 11-30-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" but going from a 30amp pedestal through an 15amp adatpter to a 30amp boat is "
Is not what the topic is about, boatpoker.

Try again, from the top, or from the thread title. The ENTIRE BOAT is SIZED FOR 15A. There's no mention of a 30A breaker or load on the boat. The question is simply how to connect a 30A shorepower adapter, to a 15A maximum load. (Boat, cable, breaker, the whole shebang.)

No danger there.
Old 11-30-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" but going from a 30amp pedestal through an 15amp adatpter to a 30amp boat is "
Is not what the topic is about, boatpoker.

Try again, from the top, or from the thread title. The ENTIRE BOAT is SIZED FOR 15A. There's no mention of a 30A breaker or load on the boat. The question is simply how to connect a 30A shorepower adapter, to a 15A maximum load. (Boat, cable, breaker, the whole shebang.)

No danger there.
Yeah I got that but some of the other posts seemed to go in a different direction.