Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

redline is on a distinguished road
Re: Running a fridge on a mooring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Only way to constantly run a fridge on a mooring is with a gen set, and I don't see that happening.
I ran my fridge all summer on a mooring using just solar panels, June through Sept up on Lake Champlain. I have a Honda EU2000i but never even brought it to the boat this summer. The batteries (house bank is 3 Group 27 for about 310 AH capacity) were back to full charge by early- to mid-afternoon. Never ran the engine for purely charging (as we used to pre-solar), nor did we use shore power all summer.

That was with three Kyocera 135W panels on the arch and a BlueSky SB3024i MPPT controller. Two panels would have handled the fridge (Danfoss compressor with L-shaped evaporator, no freezer (though milk or food in contact with the evaporator did tend to freeze) at about 5A drain on a 60-70% duty cycle.

If you have the space to mount them, solar is definitely the way to go for unattended power (and cold beer upon arrival).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Dual voltage or just plain 12v fridge. Junk the microwave. Solar panels.
A microwave should not be a problem as most people only use it to reheat things, and to pop popcorn, so it will have a max run time of 4 or so min. I think you can safely run that on an inverter, just remember to unplug it when not using it. They are pretty handy for most people. I hate them, but lots of folks love them.
Old 12-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
A microwave should not be a problem as most people only use it to reheat things, and to pop popcorn, so it will have a max run time of 4 or so min. I think you can safely run that on an inverter, just remember to unplug it when not using it. They are pretty handy for most people. I hate them, but lots of folks love them.

Yep, you are quite right but for mine the disadvantages far outweigh pluses. To boot, me and the fair Wombet only ever eat popcorn at the movies. The only thing we use our microwave at home for is to heat milk for breakfast coffee, on board we just heat it on the stove beside the espresso thingy (stove top not electric).

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-11-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Doesn't ice get expensive over time, let alone inconvenient? Seems that most that don't have an electric refrigerator, don't bother with cold at all over time.

110v fridge is useless. 12v fridge, maintained with solar is civilized. JMO
Bene505 and jimrafford like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

The Womboat has a 12v Danfoss job. We have two x 185 panels. We usually run engine for an hour a day for hot water. All good.

As for leaving fridge running when we are away from boat (long term) I'm not sure. I keep meaning to try it out and see how it goes. I reckon we'd need to keep the wind gen going if in winter.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-11-2012

bassviking is on a distinguished road

I've been running an Adler Barbour on a Mooring In SD for a few months on a solar setup with no problems. 230 Watt Panel with a Morningstar 15a MPPT controller and 4 CG2 batteries. I never see the batteries drop below 12.5 volts while on the ball with this setup.

Now I'm not sure at all if an "12v Fridge", an Engel and Adler Barbour are all "apples to apples" but its a fridge and its been running on a solar setup for at least 7 months now. The concept is totally doable.
Old 12-12-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassviking View Post
....Now I'm not sure at all if an "12v Fridge", an Engel and Adler Barbour are all "apples to apples" but its a fridge and its been running on a solar setup for at least 7 months now. The concept is totally doable.
They all seem to be about the same if the insulation and box size are the same. The Engle uses less elect. when running but seems to run longer. Here are a couple links that seem to bear out that the total amp/hrs to cool the portables are pretty close together...

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/Newsle...dgeComparo.pdf

....and....

Ray's Caravans, Campervans & Motorhomes - Portable Fridges 1-

We use an EdgeStar in our Mac that....

Macgregor 26S Inside Mods page 22

.... is a 63 quart portable and 180 watts of solar kept up with it, a lot of computer time and a CPAP machine at night and some other smaller loads. We did run a gen-set for maybe 4-6 hours total in 3 months of use in Florida. The solar did all of the rest.

We made a larger box for the Endeavour that also has a small freezer section and it actually uses less electricity than the portable, but I'm sure that is because it has much more insulation....

Endeavour 37 Interion Mods Index

If you are in a pretty good sun area 150 watts of solar and a couple batteries should keep a smaller portable Engle or Danfoss type fridge running on a mooring no problem,

Sum

==============================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

Old 12-12-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

So it seems that it will be do-able with the right fridge/solar combo....cool

For this year I will use ice rather than invest in a totally new system but it is good to know that for a little extra $$$ I can have the convenience of a fridge. it is lugging the cooler and ice that will be a pain.
I still plan on a small solar charger and controller to keep the batteries topped off while on the can after a weekend of lights and music anyway so I will look for a system that can be added to down the road to handle a fridge.

Thanks again for all the replies, this is why I like forums...to learn from others experience rather than make the mistakes myself.
Old 12-12-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
This fridge however is VERY, VERY efficient...
That's the key. It's doable, but not with a typical dorm fridge and an inverter.
Old 12-12-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough

Insulation is key.

A well insulated fridge will run off a 130w panel.

Regards,
Brad

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.