SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Running a fridge on a mooring... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/94875-running-fridge-mooring.html)

blutoyz 12-10-2012 06:41 PM

Running a fridge on a mooring...

I was getting ready to pull the fridge (small dorm type) and the microwave out of my new to me boat because I do not plan on being around shore power but I just figured that I would pose this question.

What are the odds that I could run a fridge on an inverter and use a solar panel to maintain the batteries? I have a 15-20 minute transit out of the cove on diesel for charging if that matters.

As I said...I was already planning on tossing the fridge and using ice but I figured that it was worth asking to see if anyone had success first.

Thanks,

jsaronson 12-10-2012 08:32 PM

Re: Running a fridge on a mooring...

I'd get a dual voltage fridge. Inverters are inefficient. A microwave draws a lot of power. An inverter will be expensive.

CarolynShearlock 12-10-2012 08:47 PM

If you want refrigeration, think about an Engel portable. It's a true refrig, not like a Coleman cooler that just cools a bit, and has about the lowest power requirement of anything out there. Runs on 12V -- depending on how big of a solar panel(s) you have and the climate, it might work. They're not cheap but they are wonderful. Everyone that I've talked to with one LOVES it -- see the comments on my blog post about it.

tdw 12-10-2012 08:57 PM

Dual voltage or just plain 12v fridge. Junk the microwave. Solar panels.

chucklesR 12-11-2012 08:32 AM

Check your power requirements, i.e. what is the draw on that fridge. It's probably 4-5 amps. Multiply that by the 20 hours a day that the poorly insulated box will cause.

You'd have to make 100 or so amp hours a day, so you are talking 300 or more watts of solar panel, a controller and a battery bank to hold it. Plus somewhere to mount the panel, wiring etc..
Even if you cut all that in half you are still spending more than 800 bucks.

That 2 dollar bag of ice is starting to look real economical isn't it?

blutoyz 12-11-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 959906)
Check your power requirements, i.e. what is the draw on that fridge. It's probably 4-5 amps. Multiply that by the 20 hours a day that the poorly insulated box will cause.

You'd have to make 100 or so amp hours a day, so you are talking 300 or more watts of solar panel, a controller and a battery bank to hold it. Plus somewhere to mount the panel, wiring etc..
Even if you cut all that in half you are still spending more than 800 bucks.

That 2 dollar bag of ice is starting to look real economical isn't it?

That's what I planned anyhow because I expected that it had far to much draw to keep up with. I just came across a remark about running a fridge on battery with panels and wanted to throw it out there.

Thanks all for the replies...now I can pitch the fridge without feeling wasteful....LOL

chucklesR 12-11-2012 10:56 AM

Also keep in mind the 15-20 minutes of running the diesel won't do much beyond replacing the amps you used to start it.

sailortjk1 12-11-2012 11:10 AM

Only way to constantly run a fridge on a mooring is with a gen set, and I don't see that happening.

Maine Sail 12-11-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolynShearlock (Post 959728)
If you want refrigeration, think about an Engel portable. It's a true refrig, not like a Coleman cooler that just cools a bit, and has about the lowest power requirement of anything out there. Runs on 12V -- depending on how big of a solar panel(s) you have and the climate, it might work. They're not cheap but they are wonderful. Everyone that I've talked to with one LOVES it -- see the comments on my blog post about it.

I have a small Engle on a customers boat that runs 24/7 on the mooring. It runs off a 460Ah house bank and is being charged via two Kyocera 140W panels and a Blue Sky MPPT charge controller. Batteries have yet to drop below 95% SOC even when it rained for two weeks straight. This system however was sized and installed as a matched set up..

This fridge however is VERY, VERY efficient and a dorm fridge will draw multiples what the Engle does... I would not recommend this with a dorm fridge, without a solar array the size of the sky dome......;)

chucklesR 12-11-2012 11:22 AM

Or run a 12v and propane refrige like I had on my Gemini.
5 years, no problems. 16 bucks a month for propane.

On a mooring a propane would be fine, the boats not rocking enough to lose the ammonia charge.