Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this pro wiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
So, with a new installation, where would the shop draw the line. "We mount the motor, but you can hook up the prop shaft and/or connect the instruments." ? I would think they would want it to be running and have functioning instruments when they signed off on it. Am I wrong?

I suppose one could choose just about any phase of completion if the dealer would offer it? If it is a brand new engine and one wanted a full warranty the dealer may require that he do or oversee ALL the work? Lots of possibilities.

Paul T

Last edited by Faster; 12-19-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2012
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road

If it works... it works...

Not everybody is anal/retentive enough to make 90* bends with a "wireing schematic" layout just for "looks"...

If that's what you want then make it so but be prepared to pay....(or DIY)

If you paid for installation and it runs.. it was "professionally" installed..

You have to pay extra for anally installed...
Old 12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post

Not everybody is anal/retentive enough to make 90* bends with a "wiring schematic" layout just for "looks"...

If that's what you want then make it so but be prepared to pay....(or DIY)

Points taken, good enough for government work. In addition to being a telephone installer/repairman many years ago, I have done a fair amount of automotive and marine wiring and always tried to do it right the first time, not wanting the boat going up on the rocks. I found it doesn't take much more time to make it neat (not necessarily perfect) , secured, labeled, good solid connections and sealed with shrink wrap. To each his own, your mileage may vary.

Paul T
Faster, SVAuspicious and L124C like this.
Old 12-19-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I took a pass on Cal 29 that had a Beta installed as there was so much hacked stuff IT WOULD never pass a survey

The unit comes with a panel that plugs into the motor HOW hard can it be to do that part correctly ?
L124C likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I took a pass on Cal 29 that had a Beta installed as there was so much hacked stuff IT WOULD never pass a survey

The unit comes with a panel that plugs into the motor HOW hard can it be to do that part correctly ?
From the looks of L's picture it appears the "pro" didn't want to replace the existing panel, he may have been in a hurry as many "pros" seem to be. Never enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to come back and fix it. Perhaps with the advent of "plug in" stuff, quality hand wiring may be becoming a lost art, except for Mainsail, who I would hire in a heartbeat, his work is art work.

Paul T
Old 12-19-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

"Professional" means that someone got paid to do the installation. It does not mean that they did it right. Usually "professionals" are paid by the job, so there is incentive to maximize revenue by taking as many jobs as time allows.

I am strictly an amature (I prefer "craftsman"). If I looked at the number of hours that it takes me to do anything on the boat (usually 3X what I planned), and what I would be willing to pay... Well, I couldn't afford me.

NONE of the visible crimps would pass my inspection. That red one is an el-cheapo butt splice. It looks like the others are too, but I cannot really see. EVERY splice that I use is heat shrink, and adhesive lined.
davidpm likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 12-19-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
"Obviously, there appears to be a major malfunction."

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Yeah...Thats about what they said that icy morning before launching space shuttle Challenger!

Quote:
Not everybody is anal/retentive enough to make 90* bends with a "wiring schematic" layout just for "looks"...If that's what you want then make it so but be prepared to pay....(or DIY)
I hardly think at least protecting this birds nest of a wiring job is "just for looks" or "anal". I mean, let's say someone stuffs a bunch of sails and gear down there. I get in a position where I need the motor, turn the key and get nothin!

In any case, it seems that some think this wiring may have been done by a factory shop (the issue in the OP). Yet others think the motor installation might have been professional, while the wiring was not. If so, it's another case of Marine practices being different than things on land. What do you think they would say if I took my Tacoma to the Toyota dealership for a new motor and said, "just put it in, I'll do the wiring."?

Last edited by L124C; 12-19-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-19-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
From the looks of L's picture it appears the "pro" didn't want to replace the existing panel, he may have been in a hurry as many "pros" seem to be. Never enough time to do it right the first time but always enough time to come back and fix it.
You may be right. But if I was paying for the installation, I would take one look at the wiring and ask "Did you actually expect to get paid for this? Try again!" Kind of speaks to the seller's apparent disregard for the boat, which is the main reason I'm on the fence.
So, you don't even think this is a Beta Panel (had a A-4 previously)? Here is a picture of the other side and a shot of the main panel, most of which I don't have a problem with, though I would certainly identify everything. Once again... gotta LOVE the Access!
Attached Thumbnails
Is this pro wiring?-1125121003a.jpg   Is this pro wiring?-1125121050.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 12-19-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Hard to say about the panel from that shot.. but the cover flap doesn't look new..

The shift/throttle is definitely not A-4 vintage.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
You may be right. But if I was paying for the installation, I would take one look at the wiring and ask "Did you actually expect to get paid for this? Try again!" Kind of speaks to the seller's apparent disregard for the boat, which is the main reason I'm on the fence.
So, you don't even think this is a Beta Panel (had a A-4 previously)? Here is a picture of the other side and a shot of the main panel, most of which I don't have a problem with, though I would certainly identify everything. Once again... gotta LOVE the Access!
As far as I can see , with some exceptions, the main panel looks OK? Can't see if the terminals have been soldered or crimped. In either case shrink wrap can help reduce corrosion, doesn't look like it has been used anywhere. Most of the wires have at least been somewhat secured with ties to keep them from flying around.

I suppose, with rare exception, there will always be some "touch up" work to do when buying a boat. Just depends on the price and how much time you have to spend on it. Buying it is voluntary.

Paul T