SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Is this pro wiring? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/95061-pro-wiring.html)

L124C 12-18-2012 05:32 PM

Is this pro wiring?

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at a boat with a new Beta Marine diesel. Seller claims the motor was installed by a reputable dealer. This wiring on the control panel gives me doubts. Doesn't look dangerous, but doesn't look professional to me either.
Am I being too picky?
Posted this in the diesel thread without results. Thought some "Sparkies" might be lurking here!:)

MarkSF 12-18-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Is this pro wiring?

Cost of new Beta Marine diesel including installation, $10 to $20K.

Cost of rewiring the instrument panel to your own satisfaction, virtually nothing.

Does this put it into perspective for you?

dabnis 12-18-2012 06:05 PM

L,

Looks a bit messy but if all the crimps and terminals are proper it will probably work? Just because the work was done by a "professional" it may not always be right, even though it works, at least for a while. Could be they didn't want to take the extra time to use label's and route it in a neat manner. As mentioned earlier, if it doesn't please you you can walk or re-do it later on your own. If the mounts are solid, fittings tight, no oil or fuel leaks, and it runs well without excessive vibrations that is a place to start.

Paul T

Faster 12-18-2012 06:20 PM

Also if it was a repower the new panel was likely 'made do' with the existing wiring rather than taking the time to redo the works.

Ain't pretty, though... chances are it works OK.

remetau 12-18-2012 06:25 PM

Not a professional electrician job, but it may have been a professional engine installation. As long as everything works and the crimps are tight, I would tighten it all up and maybe label it if you need to do so.

jrd22 12-18-2012 08:18 PM

I've seen a lot worse. Doesn't look like it would take too much to tidy up.

dabnis 12-18-2012 08:31 PM

Looking at again, maybe heat shrink over the crimps and terminal ends, assuming they are clean and tight?

Paul T

L124C 12-19-2012 05:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 963693)
Cost of new Beta Marine diesel including installation, $10 to $20K.
Cost of rewiring the instrument panel to your own satisfaction, virtually nothing.
Does this put it into perspective for you?

Not really. I certainly know that diesel motors are expensive and what motivates people to cut corners. However I assumed that if a factory authorized shop installed the motor (as the seller claims), they would insist on doing the instrument panel (warranty and liability issues being what they are). One of the other posts indicates this might not be the case.

It's above a quarter berth, so the exposed wires could easily be disturbed. I know one thing. Even if I did it, it would be a lot tidier than this, and I'm no ace electrician! It's funny... On my boat space is often so tight I can't make wiring as tidy as I would like. Given the space on this boat, I could clean this mess up in about an hour, heat shrink and all! I'm actually envious, though I don't know I want the task!

So, with a new installation, where would the shop draw the line. "We mount the motor, but you can hook up the prop shaft and/or connect the instruments." ? I would think they would want it to be running and have functioning instruments when they signed off on it. Am I wrong?

chucklesR 12-19-2012 09:25 AM

Put a tupperware box or the like over the wires. Tidy them up as desired.

As said above a engine installer isn't necessarily a ABYC certified electrician. Check the crimps, IIRC they should hold to 7 pounds of pull.

Faster 12-19-2012 09:31 AM

That is a bit of an eyesore... it'll need covering up even after a tidy re-do.

I'd expect the engine install to include any and everything that gets you to the point of firing it up and leaving the dock.. so the whole enchilada, unless unusual arrangements were made at the time.