Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013

Jettest is on a distinguished road
Promariner 2500 or Xantrex Freedom 2000?

I'm in the market for a charger/inverter... Pretty sold on a single unit vs a separate charger and inverter for simplicity sake.

I don't want to spend 3000 on a mastervolt or Charles (which would be my obvious first choice).

I would really like to spend around 1000.

Anyone have luck with either the xantrex freedom 2000 or promariner 2500?

Or recommend another C/I in that price range?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013

Re: Promariner 2500 or Xantrex Freedom 2000?

I have a 32' ericson sailboat btw. Light coastal cruising, part time live aboard (8-10 nights a month). Fwiw
Old 01-13-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Where are you fitting the battery capacity on an E-32 (32-200, 32, 32-3?) for a 2000W inverter?

Personally I think the Magnum I/C's are quite good, reliable and have good tech support. The MMS1012 is a nice compact pure sine 1000W X 50A I/C.. Mastervolt & Victron are also good but pricey.

What are you using this for? What type of loads will you actually be drawing? Even 1000W is a LOT to be drawing without a large bank to back it up..

I would certainly recommend a pure sine model if spending the money to do this. The Xantrex SW2000 will be the best price but you need to add in the cost for the remote (you do with most).

The tech support and history of Xantrex reliability should be well researched before making a buying decision.

We really need more info about your system to more accurately give you the best advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 01-13-2013

Hey!

Actually I don't have much of an AC power requirement while underway... I really use AC power mainly off shore power at the dock.

That said, I need a new charger, and the boat doesn't have an inverter so I thought I'd get a C/I and "upgrade" a bit. 1000w is plenty, but I just thought the better units (read more reliable) were only available in the higher wattages. I hadn't really considered battery capacity because I can't imagine drawing more than 600-800W offshore.

Does that magnum have or require a remote panel?

Are there any decent 1000W or less combi units beside Magnum?
Old 01-14-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

The REAL issue you should consider is this: with a combined unit, if one side goes belly up, so does the other. Maine Sail has long been a proponent of separate units and there is great validity to that point of view. Especially given your situation, where you do not "need" AC power when not at a dock.

That said, when I researched this for our new-to-us 1986 boat in 1998, I did all my homework, research and cost estimates. I chose to go with a Freedom 15 and a Link 2000. The Freedom "forced" me to consider how to wire my charging systems (shorepower AND alternator) since the Freedom only had one output, just like the alternator. Back then most folks had moved to separate house and reserve banks and used two output shorepower charging systems, so they didn't worry too much about the single alternator output 'cuz they'd go home and plug in. We liked being out on the hook. That's how I "discovered" the Yandina combiner, which remains operative on our boat.

That said: If I were you, I'd buy separate units.
Old 01-15-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I second the suggestion of Magnum products. The small charter company I work for has been migrating away from Xantrex for a while now. As they fail, they are not repaired but instead replaced with Magnum. Magnums have been pretty much bulletproof. That was a poor ballistic phrase....
Old 01-15-2013

CS Cruiser is on a distinguished road

Pm'd you
Old 01-19-2013

Thanks everyone...

Ugh, I ordered a magnum MMS1012 from an online retailler, and after a week with no shipping and no confirmation - I emailed them.. No reply... Then I called - No reply... Then I sent another email saying that the customer service was horrendous, and if they dont reply, I'd post a negative review...

Then the CEO of (said) online retailer replied and said the item was out of stock, that they had emailed me 4 times (lies), and that he researched my business (I own one - unrelated to boating) based on my email address and was going to "retaliate - Times 5" if I posted a negative review using his "Power as CEO". Unbelievable.

Anyhow, I filed a report with ripoffreport.com... What a nightmare

So this has nothing to do with Magnum, but I'm now wondering about (control) with separate charger/inverters. I like the idea of the remote panel, automatic switching, etc with the combo unit.. If I bought a separate charger and inverter how does the "switching" happen? is there a remote panel that can manage a separate charger and inverter?

Thanks in advance... You guys are awesome and unbelievably helpful.
Old 01-19-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

As far as separate units, you MUST install a switch that will allow ONLY either the shorepower or the inverter to feed your AC on board unless you do not connect your inverter to your AC wiring. The advantage of the combo units are they have internal automatic transfer switches.

The Blue Sea 8032 or 8132 work just fine, and they also have a rotary switch model, but I don't have that model #.
Old 01-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I would buy two seperrate units and a switch. Look into Mastervolt chargers...they are great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.