Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013

dive7mmwet is on a distinguished road
any one update to LED's

has any one put in the screw / plug in LED bulbs?
I know the polarity must be right so all must be right at the wires in mast step,
and they will now fit in anchor light or steaming covers lens. and no need to buy $400 fixtures.
I just hate having my son on the mast, he loves it! & the $$$ he makes,, as the next thing he's working on other boats mast's and some I have no clue on their rigging!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: any one update to LED's

Other than one fluorescent over the stove, all of my lights are LED.
Old 01-15-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

My lights that I use when anchored are all Leds. When motoring I am charging so I see no reason to change running lights & steaming light..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 01-15-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
My lights that I use when anchored are all Leds. When motoring I am charging so I see no reason to change running lights & steaming light..Dale
If you do not sail at night then there wouldn't be a benefit to having LED navigation lights I guess.
Old 01-15-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
What if you sail at night? For the running lights on my boat, they use about 5 amps. At this time of year, that would be 60 to 70Ah overnight - a significant amount of power consumption, especially on a longer passage.
Old 01-16-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

FWW, I changed my nav (red, green and stern) lights to LED not because of night sailing but rather because the fancy $15+ bulbs kept failing due to vibration. I used DrLed replacements, which are not ideal as they widen the viewing angles somewhat (i.e. red/green now overlap). One day I'll change the fixtures entirely, but at least I have working lights. As another poster wrote, I did not change the steaming light as it's physically a smaller/ more robust bulb, and only used when the engine is running anyway.

The LED anchor light was DEFINITELY worth it on the consumption front. My first attempt was an LED replacement bulb in the old fixture, but eventually several individual LEDs started failing and I changed the entire fixture for a purpose-designed LED light. Even wired it to the Aux output of my BlueSky MPPT solar charge controller programmed for dusk-to-dawn, so while cruising we don't touch the switch for weeks at a time.

For the interior lights I found some 6- and 9-LED discs with side pins which fit the original ceiling fixtures, and added a few LED reading lights (which unfortunately do generate some RF noise in their immediate vicinity). Very little incadescent left aboard.

I do like the idea of LED striplights in the cabinets... just what I needed, another project. ;-)
dive7mmwet likes this.
Old 01-16-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

We added a led rope light to the bimini frame last spring. Instant cockpit lighting at the flip of a switch. No more searching for candles or the lantern. Bright enough for dining but doesn't destroy your night vision. Also makes finding the boat after dark simple.
Jim
Old 01-16-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I converted to LEDs including running lights. They have improved drastically over the last 5 year and reduce power consumption to milliamps. Go for it ,it was a good move. They can cause a buzz in your radio if they are too close to it.
Old 01-16-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

Changed all my incandescent and fluorescent cabin lights, reading lights, navigation lights, and anchor light for Dr. LED replacements this year.

So far so good....plenty bright (I chose the brighter bulbs for places where they were needed). No RFI on HF discernable. No heat (no more burned fingers on the little metal housings for reading lights).

Really nice to be able to turn on all the cabin lights and not worry about a significant draw on the house bank.

Yeah, it cost a pile of $$$, and I won't really know until after the upcoming cruising season, but I think it's going to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Bill
Old 01-18-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road

I changed out almost all the dome light and reading light bulbs to LED as I only have 190 Ah bank. And today my new Signal Mate Tricolor/Anchor LED showed up. This will be a huge improvement in terms of Ah's AND visibility. Pricey but I think worth the $$$.
Now If I could find RED plug in Double pole Bayonet arrays for the Dome lights.