Getting ready to add shore power - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
  #11  
Old 01-23-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,812
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Yes, put the frig on the breaker with the outlets. Just be sure your total draw with the frig and the outlets doesn't exceed the breaker size.

In the pic you posted above, you can't see the back of the panel. I assume it has TWO breakers for the main line. You need a breaker on BOTH the hot (black) and the neutral (white) incoming AC wires.

It this panel doesn't have two breakers for the main shutoff, then can it and find one which does.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 01-23-2013
jrophoff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
jrophoff is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Yes, put the frig on the breaker with the outlets. Just be sure your total draw with the frig and the outlets doesn't exceed the breaker size.

In the pic you posted above, you can't see the back of the panel. I assume it has TWO breakers for the main line. You need a breaker on BOTH the hot (black) and the neutral (white) incoming AC wires.

It this panel doesn't have two breakers for the main shutoff, then can it and find one which does.

Bill
That sounds like a good option. I don't really use the outlets much anyway. mainly to charge my phone ect. I may install a small led tv, but

Here is the picture from behind. Can't really tell myself.



I may install a tiny LED tv someday. But I don't think those draw more than an amp or 2. I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 01-23-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,812
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Can't see very well from that pic.

While it appears that the top two breakers are 20A each, the wiring seems screwy. For example, the white wire (neutral) coming off the second-from-the-top breaker goes to the buss bar. But, there's no white wire that I can see on the other side of that breaker.

What you want to see:

1. A breaker for the hot (black) wire....coming into and going out of that breaker;

2. A second breaker, mechanically tied to the first one so that they both are switched on or off simultaneously, with the neutral (white) wire coming into and going out of that breaker; and

3. A green wire going to the grounding bus....no breaker.

The black wire coming out of the first breaker then goes to power the other two breakers for outlets and for your battery charger.

Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 01-23-2013
boatpoker's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,083
Thanks: 8
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 7
boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Forgive me for asking the obvious but sometimes the obvious is overlooked. So you must have an AC or an AC/DC fridge, correct ? Since we know you cannot connect a DC fridge to this panel .
__________________
Dirt People Scare me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 01-23-2013
jrophoff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
jrophoff is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Can't see very well from that pic.

While it appears that the top two breakers are 20A each, the wiring seems screwy. For example, the white wire (neutral) coming off the second-from-the-top breaker goes to the buss bar. But, there's no white wire that I can see on the other side of that breaker.

What you want to see:

1. A breaker for the hot (black) wire....coming into and going out of that breaker;

2. A second breaker, mechanically tied to the first one so that they both are switched on or off simultaneously, with the neutral (white) wire coming into and going out of that breaker; and

3. A green wire going to the grounding bus....no breaker.

The black wire coming out of the first breaker then goes to power the other two breakers for outlets and for your battery charger.

Bill
Bill--

I attached a diagram. Let me know if I am getting the concept (sorry if I am not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Forgive me for asking the obvious but sometimes the obvious is overlooked. So you must have an AC or an AC/DC fridge, correct ? Since we know you cannot connect a DC fridge to this panel .
AC fridge
Attached Thumbnails
Getting ready to add shore power-screen-shot-2013-01-23-4.58.33-pm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 01-24-2013
tap tap is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 176
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
tap is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Diagram looks correct to me. Your fridge, outlets, etc. would have their hot wires attached the terminals in the lower right side of the breaker group, while the neutrals and grounds would be connected to the two bus bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 01-24-2013
jrophoff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
jrophoff is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
Diagram looks correct to me. Your fridge, outlets, etc. would have their hot wires attached the terminals in the lower right side of the breaker group, while the neutrals and grounds would be connected to the two bus bars.
Thanks for confirming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 01-25-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,812
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

I agree with Tap's comments.

The blue color is confusing, though, as is the existing wiring on the panel (black/hot wire going to one of the busses).

I'd start by removing all the old wiring from the breakers and busses. Then, start afresh using the proper wire coloring...much less confusing.

US single-phase AC wire coloring:

black = hot
white = neutral
green = grounding



Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 01-25-2013
jrophoff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
jrophoff is on a distinguished road
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I agree with Tap's comments.

The blue color is confusing, though, as is the existing wiring on the panel (black/hot wire going to one of the busses).

I'd start by removing all the old wiring from the breakers and busses. Then, start afresh using the proper wire coloring...much less confusing.

US single-phase AC wire coloring:

black = hot
white = neutral
green = grounding



Bill
Yea I agree, it all needs to be redone. The program I used to draw the lines did not have the proper colors. I used bright colors so it would stand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 01-25-2013
chef2sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,050
Thanks: 30
Thanked 57 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 8
chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Getting ready to add shore power

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrophoff View Post
This is what I have. Unlike a float charger it is capable of bulk charging too. Since it charges at a slower rate, the battery stays cool, ultimately prolonging my batteries life:

Battery Tender® Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Batterytender.com

It does a good job, and since the only thing that I run off the battery is my depth finder and running lights (cabin lights are LED and use their own batteries), I don't use too much battery. Especially since all my sailing is done in the day time. After a long day of sailing I am down to 90-95%. Now that I have a new motor that charges the battery as well I should be in good standing.

I am adding a stereo this year. That may push me into purchasing a larger battery charger.
A three stage battery charger is the best way to charge your batteries. Also dont forget if you have wet cells to equalize every month or so to desulfate the lead plates.

Dave
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___________________________
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hooking 110 power cord to shore power? dvuyxx Electrical Systems 16 06-02-2012 10:35 AM
Shore Power sailguy40 Gear & Maintenance 4 05-01-2011 11:53 PM
shore power with out shore power marcusn Gear & Maintenance 33 06-20-2008 04:55 PM
Re: shore power NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 02-01-2007 02:15 PM
shore power NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 02-01-2007 11:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.