SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Getting ready to add shore power (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/95970-getting-ready-add-shore-power.html)

jrophoff 01-22-2013 12:20 PM

Getting ready to add shore power

1 Attachment(s)
Quick question...

I found a breaker panel like the one pictured below. It has the main breaker / reverse polarity, then two more breakers. One breaker will be for the outlets, and the other I will use for my refrigerator and my battery tender jr.

Will that be an issue combining the charger and the refrigerator?

I ask because I have noticed most panels have a separate fuse for the charger.

The charger and refrigerator will be on a 10A fuse. The outlets will be on a 15A fuse.

chucklesR 01-22-2013 12:25 PM

Re: Getting ready to add shore power

There will be an issue if the combined draw of the fridge and the charger is over 10amps obviously.

jrophoff 01-22-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 979427)
There will be an issue if the combined draw of the fridge and the charger is over 10amps obviously.

The Battery Tender Jr. doesn't draw more then 1 amp. and a refrigerator shouldn't draw more than 5 amps.

chucklesR 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

Should be fine then.

A charger that small should not boil off batteries so leaving it on won't hurt.
I assume that was your other concern.

jrophoff 01-22-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 979436)
Should be fine then.

A charger that small should not boil off batteries so leaving it on won't hurt.
I assume that was your other concern.

My concern more or less was do I need individual breakers? Could I get away with combining a fridge and a charger on one circuit? Is there something I was missing? Not concerned about the charger.

mitiempo 01-22-2013 02:50 PM

Shouldn't be a problem currently but if you were to get a charger that could more than maintain a charged battery it could be an issue. I would buy a panel capable of one more circuit.

How are you charging your batteries now?

jrophoff 01-22-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 979516)
Shouldn't be a problem currently but if you were to get a charger that could more than maintain a charged battery it could be an issue. I would buy a panel capable of one more circuit.

How are you charging your batteries now?

I have one battery and charge it with the same charger (It does charge the battery as well as maintain it). The motor also charges the battery if needed. It is a smaller boat at 25 ft. I don't think I will be needing a larger battery bank or charger.

mitiempo 01-22-2013 05:10 PM

Most shorepower chargers are sized to get a battery fully charged in a reasonable time. If the battery is down much a maintainer at about 1 1/2 amps would take days to full charge a battery. Engine charging is quick to about 80 or 85% state of charge but the last 15 or 20% will take 8 or more hours regardless of alternator size. Fully charged batteries have a much longer life than batteries left partially discharged.

A maintainer is good for keeping a fully charged battery at full charge over a long period of time which is all it was designed to do.

jrophoff 01-22-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 979606)
Most shorepower chargers are sized to get a battery fully charged in a reasonable time. If the battery is down much a maintainer at about 1 1/2 amps would take days to full charge a battery. Engine charging is quick to about 80 or 85% state of charge but the last 15 or 20% will take 8 or more hours regardless of alternator size. Fully charged batteries have a much longer life than batteries left partially discharged.

A maintainer is good for keeping a fully charged battery at full charge over a long period of time which is all it was designed to do.

This is what I have. Unlike a float charger it is capable of bulk charging too. Since it charges at a slower rate, the battery stays cool, ultimately prolonging my batteries life:

Battery Tender® Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Batterytender.com

It does a good job, and since the only thing that I run off the battery is my depth finder and running lights (cabin lights are LED and use their own batteries), I don't use too much battery. Especially since all my sailing is done in the day time. After a long day of sailing I am down to 90-95%. Now that I have a new motor that charges the battery as well I should be in good standing.

I am adding a stereo this year. That may push me into purchasing a larger battery charger.

Gladrags1 01-22-2013 07:56 PM

My feeling is that you should put the refridgerator and battery charger on seperate circuits if only because you may want to have the fridge off at the dock when you are not using the boat. I find it best to turn off the circuite at the breaker rather than the fridge's thermostat.

Just gives more options.

Tod