SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   AGM Mounting positions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/96191-agm-mounting-positions.html)

TwoD83 01-29-2013 03:23 PM

AGM Mounting positions

Hi! I've read in many places that one of the advantages of AGM batteries is that they can be mounted in many odd positions that wet cells cannot. In every picture I've seen or account I've heard, however, they are always mounted just as a car battery would be. Has anyone actually mounted one in a strange position and have any feedback on it? Does it affect battery performance? Do they, in fact, remain sealed? Just wondering. Thanks!

btrayfors 01-29-2013 05:48 PM

Re: AGM Mounting positions

Upside down is good :-)

Seriously, you can install them in any position you like. I suppose the most used position other than upright is lying on their side.

Why do you wanna install AGM's on that Cheoy Lee, anyway? All too often, they're the WORST option for a cruising vessel.

Bill

Stumble 01-29-2013 09:28 PM

Not on a cruising boat, but I saw a rack of them installed SoR a solar array where they were stacked on their side with the 'top' facing out. This was so all the connections were easy to service and inspect.

They worked fine, though I have doubts about AGM's for solar as well as on a boat.

Plumbean 01-30-2013 01:08 PM

I have them installed on their side. No complaints.

chef2sail 01-30-2013 07:09 PM

We have two of our 6 6Volt AGM on their side with no problem over 5 years now. No difficulties

TwoD83 02-06-2013 08:21 PM

AGM Mounting positions

I got some rather large (Group 8D) AGM batteries for a song. I'm re-wiring the whole boat, which allows me to put them wherever I want and their size won't allow me to put them where the old ones were. Just wanted to see what my options were.

boatpoker 02-06-2013 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See any problems with this installation :)

TwoD83 02-07-2013 03:14 AM

AGM Mounting positions

That's actually close to what I was thinking. How is the battery supported? I see the straps, anything special supporting the weight?

boatpoker 02-07-2013 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoD83 (Post 986919)
That's actually close to what I was thinking. How is the battery supported? I see the straps, anything special supporting the weight?

Nothing supporting the weight. The cheap plastic strap holding the battery in place had torn free and it wouldn't take much of a bump for the battery terminals to contact the inverter ....... BANG !

Neither AGM nor GEL's are exempt from ABYC battery installation standards which although not mandatory make a lot of sense. eg. batteries much be in a box or tray resistant to spilled electrolyte. Even AGM's can split .....

Maine Sail 02-07-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 986846)
See any problems with this installation :)

Ouch......:eek: