Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Alternator wiring issue...

OK.. Making progress. Going to use an ACR so one more question (at this point..) I currently have a dual battery shore charger, the output leads connect to the two banks via connections at the isolator that we're going to deep six. The charger is working fine.. should I just use one output and let the ACR look after things, or wire the two outputs to each bank for shore charging?

Intuitively I'm thinking the former (let the ACR do it's thing whether shore or alternator charging)

.. sorry 2 questions:

Any reason to distrust the offer of a 90A Leece Neville from Spider Marine for $200 vs Balmar/Electromaax at $550+

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-24-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

You're right, single charger output, let the ACR do the reserve charging.

Leece Neville makes Balmar alternators. Why pay more?
Old 02-26-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Lets the ACR do the combining and isolating. You have a starting and house bank I am assuming here.

$200 for a new 90 amp Balmar alternor? That sounds to good to be true must be rebuilt even then it's cheap. You will still buy he external regulator them too?

I am Waiting for Maine Sail to weigh in on wether external Balmar Max regulator needed with the Electramax alternators with internal regulators..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-01-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
6 It is a good idea to fit a "service disconnect" for the alt output in the engine room so when working on the engine the alt is not live....
Question if I may - is this a switch? Is there an alternative to this? There is a "slight" risk that this could be left off and then you start the engine and fry the alt.
Perhaps having a keyed switch that only turns on with the engine ignition key? I'm getting old ye know...
Old 03-01-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Question if I may - is this a switch? Is there an alternative to this? There is a "slight" risk that this could be left off and then you start the engine and fry the alt.
Perhaps having a keyed switch that only turns on with the engine ignition key? I'm getting old ye know...
Starting the engine with no load rarely leads to blown diodes because the regulator has time to sense there is no voltage/load. It is when the alt is pumping out fierce current and you suddenly cut the load where the diodes most often fry.

If you remember to turn off all battery switches when working on the engine then you should be able to remember to switch them all back on.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-01-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Faster, the problem with a simple diode isolator is that is cuts the output voltage by about 1/2 volt. And unless a sense wire has been run to accomodate that...Sure, that would make your alternator "underperform" significantly.

It may or may not be worth putting any money into figuring out what was done to your alternator but one of the "twelve volt" books has over a hundred alternator diagrams in it, you should be able to find one for your Bosch, open it up, and see if anything is missing or altered internally. Or, just order a higher capacity one and make a clean start.

If you do keep it, be generous with a labelmaker and draw up a schematic once you figure it out.
Old 03-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Faster, the problem with a simple diode isolator is that is cuts the output voltage by about 1/2 volt. And unless a sense wire has been run to accomodate that...Sure, that would make your alternator "underperform" significantly.

It may or may not be worth putting any money into figuring out what was done to your alternator but one of the "twelve volt" books has over a hundred alternator diagrams in it, you should be able to find one for your Bosch, open it up, and see if anything is missing or altered internally. Or, just order a higher capacity one and make a clean start.

If you do keep it, be generous with a labelmaker and draw up a schematic once you figure it out.
Thanks HS, the decision has been made, a clean start it will be- after all what's another boat buck here and there.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-08-2013

AlanF is on a distinguished road

Excellent advice, and isolators for the most part are to be tossed in the trash. But just for the record there are some zero volt drop ones - Sterling makes some and I think ProMariner does as well, and I'm sure others. But in the end, Maine Sail's echo or batt-to-batt charger solution is great.

My boat came with a charging system that included a manual failover system that is basically just an adjustable pot that I can switch to in case the alternator regulator fails. As it turns out, I use it quite often, but not because of failure. I have it set for around 30 amps, and switch to it when upping anchor or maneuvering at low speed, when I don't want to load down the engine with the full 120 amps. Very handy.
Old 03-08-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
Excellent advice, and isolators for the most part are to be tossed in the trash. But just for the record there are some zero volt drop ones - Sterling makes some and I think ProMariner does as well, and I'm sure others. But in the end, Maine Sail's echo or batt-to-batt charger solution is great.
Both of those products are actually voltage sensitive relays not traditional diode isolators...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-08-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Alan, I could sell you a zero voltage drop isolator for five bucks. It is called a KNIFE SWITCH.

But no one would call that an isolator, which is more properly called a diode isolator.

In order to avoid confusion about what an isolator is or isn't, i would suggest using whatever proper name it has and in the unlikely event that the merchant has tried to simply call it an "isolator"...don't use that term by itself.

Yandina/West Marine always called their product a COMBINER and that ensures there is no confusion over it. Similarly the Echo Charger has its own unique name.

Zero voltage drop isolator? How many knife switches do you want? (G)
chef2sail likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.