SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/)
-   -   Battery choice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electrical-systems/97614-battery-choice.html)

jeffzee 03-16-2013 11:51 AM

Battery choice

Good morning all, looking for some opinions and recommendations for a Battery. I have a nice little 1979 San Juan 7.7 that i purchase last summer. I need a new battery and i think i would be fine with one deep cycle, I am thinking a group 27 deep cycle. The only motor i have to start is a 2009 Yamaha 9.9. Seems like the normal Interstate batteries are a pretty good deal, about $115 for the group 27, anyone have any input?

eherlihy 03-16-2013 12:35 PM

Re: Battery choice

If you have a Sam's Club nearby, and they feature the Duracell Group 27 batteries, that would be a good choice. The Duracell Group 27 Marine battery is essentially the same as the West Marine Group 27 deep cycle batteries, and available for about $90.

Also, Sam's club will allow non-members to buy there, for an additional 10%.

voyagerct 03-16-2013 01:12 PM

Battery choice

Hate to admit it but I've had my $60 Group24 marine battery from W*M for five years and I'm fixin to replace it with a $78 Group27 next week. I'm on a mooring all summer and on the hard from Nov-April, and maintain the battery using a 25W solar panel. I run a few cabin lights, nav lights, VHF and a stereo sound system. No AC, no fridge.
My Honda 8 has an electric start with a 12A alternator. Seems that combo equates to a pretty successful system.
I could go for an AGM or GelCell type battery for 2X the price, but I doubt I'd get twice the performance.

jeffzee 03-16-2013 01:33 PM

voyagerct: Thats exactly what i was thinking about the gel cel/agm's, I could buy two regular deep cycles for less then 1 fancy battery.

chef2sail 03-16-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffzee (Post 1003328)
voyagerct: Thats exactly what i was thinking about the gel cel/agm's, I could buy two regular deep cycles for less then 1 fancy battery.

Its not that its a fancy battery,. If you had the right setups for charging and usage it would fit and be cost effecticve to get an AGM. Gel, but you dont so what you decided to get is an appropriate choice.

Also, If you had greater usage needs I would suggest two 6 volt golf carts as the thicker plates allow a much greater number of deep cycle charges thus greater life.

What you have decided is appropriate for your use, just be sure they are deep cycle batteries.

Minnewaska 03-16-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyagerct (Post 1003315)
.....I could go for an AGM or GelCell type battery for 2X the price, but I doubt I'd get twice the performance.

Nor have the right charging system, unless you changed that too. Batt types are not interchangeable on all chargers.

jameswilson29 03-16-2013 10:14 PM

I bought one at Costco - very reasonable price. Keep It Simple Sailor...

jeffzee 03-16-2013 11:19 PM

The charger i use on the boat is actually capable of charging AGM, but i dont see an advantage in terms of capacity per dollar.

norahs arc 03-17-2013 11:15 AM

Re the interstate batteries - read carefully the charging requirements. I have a set that require an equalization every 2 weeks at 17 volts. Had a hard finding a controller that would do it.

jeffzee 03-17-2013 11:25 AM

im leaning towards grabbing a group 27 deep cycle from wal mart, $75! with good reviews. Pretty hard to go wrong for $75