Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2013

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Charging: Gel vs AGM

I have an old(er) Guest Charge Pro 2606 Gel battery charger. The newer model is the 2606A, the "A" meaning that it has been tested to work with AGM batteries (
Amazon.com: Guest 2606A Portable Marine Battery Charger (12-Volt, 6-Amps, Single Output): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Guest 2606A Portable Marine Battery Charger (12-Volt, 6-Amps, Single Output): Sports & Outdoors

).

I have an AGM battery that I would like use as a replacement for my existing Gel battery and I'm trying to figure out if the 2606 charger will work with the AGM battery.

I called Guest and the max voltage of the charger is 14.5 volts, with a float charge at 13.1-13.5 volts Calling the AGM battery manufacturer, the required float charge for my battery is 13.5-13.8 volts. Does anyone have experience intermixing "Gel" chargers with "AGM" batteries? It seems like my charger would work just fine - but I can't seem to find any good advice. Looking at new chargers, no one publishes the voltage specifications. They all just say they can be used with both battery types.

Thanks for any insight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Charging: Gel vs AGM

All chargers that I've seen that will work with different types, have a manual switch to tell it which it is charging. I do not believe you can use a Gel charging profile to properly charge an AGM, or vice versa.

Regardless of how you charge a battery, it will take a charge and work for a bit. The issue with charging properly is that you maximize its longetivy or don't ruin the battery in the process. For example, you can boil bubbles into Gel electrolyte by overcharging or sulphate an AGM by not fully charging it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-29-2013

None of the Guest marine chargers have a switch and they're advertised as general purpose chargers for flooded, gel, and AGM type batteries. The Guest technical support folks are also telling me that their chargers work with both battery types. I'm guessing I'm just looking too deep into this as there is very little information on the internet about matching battery + charger types.
Old 04-29-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas8100 View Post
I have an old(er) Guest Charge Pro 2606 Gel battery charger. The newer model is the 2606A, the "A" meaning that it has been tested to work with AGM batteries (Amazon.com: Guest 2606A Portable Marine Battery Charger (12-Volt, 6-Amps, Single Output): Sports & Outdoors).

I have an AGM battery that I would like use as a replacement for my existing Gel battery and I'm trying to figure out if the 2606 charger will work with the AGM battery.

I called Guest and the max voltage of the charger is 14.5 volts, with a float charge at 13.1-13.5 volts Calling the AGM battery manufacturer, the required float charge for my battery is 13.5-13.8 volts. Does anyone have experience intermixing "Gel" chargers with "AGM" batteries? It seems like my charger would work just fine - but I can't seem to find any good advice. Looking at new chargers, no one publishes the voltage specifications. They all just say they can be used with both battery types.

Thanks for any insight.
Ideally you should not have been charging a GEL battery with that charger. 14.5v is WAY to high for GEL's. 14.1V is where you will get the longest life.. That charger will work with AGM but the float profile is a tad low. Still this charger should not be used as a primary charger for your bank. It is a portable charger not designed nor intended for charging house banks on a regular basis.

If this is going to be on a boat you want an "installed" charger intended for that use. The Promariner Pronautic P or the Sterling ProCharge Ultra are excellent and they make them as small as 10A...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-29-2013

MaineSail,

Thanks for the response. I guess that's what I get for listening to the sales guy at the big blue. The boat is moored and I don't have any access to power (don't have solar....yet) so I end up removing the battery after each trip out. The 75 lb battery will be an absolute bear to lug around so it may speed up my investigation (and investment) into solar.

I just didn't want to harm the new AGM battery with my existing charger, which for a short term solution, it doesn't look like it will.

Thanks again.