Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: LED lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwester26 View Post
I did the whole of my boat with them including the mast light...HERE .PAGE 2
thanks - that's exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, serious rehab you are doing there. Kudo's to you.
Old 05-03-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Mac;
Those LED strips look similar to the auto strips I bought last week . K-Mart discont'd, white, 12 bulb, two strips per @ $10.24. Red or green were also avail and in bigger sizes too. Same stuff the Auto store sells in the pocket-rocket/ rice burner accessory dept for [near] half again as much.

My thought was to clip/cut/curl 'em up in the original fittings to meet regs for running lites. I wonder if the USCG would accept just stickin 'em to the pulpit rail and mast? There's a neat ceiling dome lite repl. LED assembly for $14.99 that has 12 LEDs in a rectangle that would paste right on to the transom for a stern runner.

Auto store also has most all the bulb types in LED at $9.99 and up. Yer lamp assembly looks interesting.I'll hafta investigate doing something similar. Still debating using the work lite LEDs I got as spreader mounted deck lights. Mebbe once I get up the mast to do the masthead/runner?

Lotsa good stuff goin' on with yer boat!
Best,
Paul
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I decided that the cabin needed lites more than any place else. I stripped the original 5W florescents and added the new twin/12 mini LED-onna-chip strips after the switch. Supplies same or better lumens apparent than originals.
Now to find more/beter LEDs for accent and task lighting, as well as runnig lite bulbs.
Old 06-15-2013

ConradIngram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Anybody out there using these?

I'm thinking of replacing all my incandescent and florescent with them.
Led lights are nice and effective.. It is time to change old florescent lights to these new energy conserving lights... Got them from ebay..
Old 06-15-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The "RGB" strips are just that. They are interleaved RED, GREEN, and BLUE LEDs are they are intended to be used with a controller that will vary the power to each of the three colors, so you get "disco" or "mood" lighting effects.

For general purpose lighting, that's a waste of time and money. Buy warm or cool white LED strips, and you can buy those way cheaper on eBay as well. Water-resistant and waterproof, check the listings.

No, none of these are voltage regulated. They are all designed to run from a "12" volt supply but they should be fine on "ships power" with the engine running as well. No twelve-volt regulated strip would work well on a battery supply, as even a (relatively) expensive low-voltage-drop regulator would require feeding them from close to 13 volts all the time, so ignoring the regulation issue is a practical way to go here.

I have run them as under-cabinet lighting in a kitchen, and after a year they still look & work fine, fwiw. Powered by a cheap "12" volt brick, with no testing to see what it actually is. I call it disposable lighting: If I have to replace it in five years, at these prices that's OK too. It is NOT anywhere near as bright as fluorescent tubes or other dedicated large bulbs though, it is nightlighting or mood lighting.
Old 06-15-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Mac;
Those LED strips look similar to the auto strips I bought last week . K-Mart discont'd, white, 12 bulb, two strips per @ $10.24. Red or green were also avail and in bigger sizes too. Same stuff the Auto store sells in the pocket-rocket/ rice burner accessory dept for [near] half again as much.

My thought was to clip/cut/curl 'em up in the original fittings to meet regs for running lites. I wonder if the USCG would accept just stickin 'em to the pulpit rail and mast? There's a neat ceiling dome lite repl. LED assembly for $14.99 that has 12 LEDs in a rectangle that would paste right on to the transom for a stern runner.

Auto store also has most all the bulb types in LED at $9.99 and up. Yer lamp assembly looks interesting.I'll hafta investigate doing something similar. Still debating using the work lite LEDs I got as spreader mounted deck lights. Mebbe once I get up the mast to do the masthead/runner?
Paul
The Coast Guard approves complete fixtures with bulbs. The do not approve fixtures without bulbs or bulbs without fixtures, nor can they. It is only the combination that must meet standards. What you are suggesting will not meet any standards. Doubtful they will even be visible the correct distance either. And if there was an accident at night you wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally - it would obviously be the fault of the boat with inadequate lights.

Led's are great when used properly. Inside nobody cares what you do but running lights have regulations for a good reason - safety. Best to replace the entire fixture with an approved one or at the very least buy the correct led bulb for any existing fixture from a reputable dealer. The latter still wouldn't be approved but will at least be visible for 2 miles and the correct color.

Last edited by mitiempo; 06-15-2013 at 09:48 PM.