Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013

sstuller is on a distinguished road
Question about six volt GC batteries

Does anybody know if there is a six volt GC battery that is available with separate auto post and stud terminals? They are called "marine" terminals. It is much easier to make connections when the post and stud (wing nut) connections are separate. The Trojan T-105 isn't available with this type. Thanks. Steve S.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Question about six volt GC batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuller View Post
Does anybody know if there is a six volt GC battery that is available with separate auto post and stud terminals? They are called "marine" terminals. It is much easier to make connections when the post and stud (wing nut) connections are separate. The Trojan T-105 isn't available with this type. Thanks. Steve S.
You mean like this ?

Source: Blain's Farm & Fleet Golf Cart Battery

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2013

That's what I'm looking for. I'll have to find out if they are available in Florida. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That's what I'm looking for. I'll have to find out if they are available in Florida. Thanks.
Here is something similar in Florida.

(I can't fix the link, Sailnet just keeps mangling it no matter what I try, just go to the site and look at the batteries)

Source: O'Reilly Auto Parts

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 05-05-2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Sailnet's Link Mangler strikes again
Old 05-05-2013

attitudeadjustment is on a distinguished road

it might be more economical to replace the ends of the cables and go with a cheaper battery
Old 05-07-2013
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Or use something like this to add a stud:

2 Battery Terminal Connectors 5/16 2 Battery Terminal Connectors 5/16"-18 Stud - All Lead : Amazon.com : Automotive

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-08-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Trojan T-105 batteries are available with 5 different terminal types. I have never had an issue with the standard "wing nut" terminal. Best to keep connections on the battery to a minimum - use separate buses to keep the battery connections to one each for positive and negative, with the possible exception of temp sensors.

And throw the wing nuts away and use conventional nuts with washers. ABYC doesn't allow wing nuts as they can't be torqued down enough without breaking.

The T-105 description below shows the 5 connection options on the right side. The second describes the terminal types.
Attached Thumbnails
Question about six volt GC batteries-t-105.jpg   Question about six volt GC batteries-terminal_types-1-.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013

Thanks for the info on the T-105. However it confirms that the T-105 is not available with the #6 connector. The previous post mentions the clamp-on connector with a stud. Unfortunately you lose the use of the post for connections with a clamp-on lead.

Having to add a busbar because you don't have a stud on the battery adds a lot of complication. I love wingnuts on battery terminals in spite of AYBC. They must be a good idea because battery manufacturers don't provide them anymore. Batteries now come with regular nuts which are cheaper. I am sure this is their primary motivation for providing them.
Old 05-08-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

Adding bus bars does not add to the complication - it keeps the batteries neater and easier to check fluids as well as cleaning of the tops. There is nothing messier than a bank of batteries with wires going every which way from the posts. As far as wingnuts go, they can't be wrench tightened to the proper torque and this can lead to loose connections and the problems that brings. I think many with small outboard boats like the wing nuts but they have no place on a proper marine battery installation.

I recently installed a bank of 8 golf carts and a large inverter on a 48' boat. Positive from one end of the bank and negative from the other end to draw the bank down evenly. The only extra connection was a temp sensor which went to a battery in the middle. The main posts had only one connection each which went to buses. A neat installation that is simple to service and trouble shoot if necessary.

Trojan batteries have studs - and you only need one per battery. The standard stud works very well.
Old 05-08-2013

One observation about wingnuts. They avoid the safety hazard created by having to use a wrench on battery terminal fittings. Wrenches seem to act as if their job is to make a connection between battery posts. Thanks.