Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electrical Systems
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: 12V Connectors

While you could use spade or bullet connectors but they do corrode and loosen over time. The best solution is probably to add ring terminals with heatshrink on both the feed wires and the wires from the pump and use a terminal strip.
Old 05-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I have thought to use the two pin european outlets for 12v. Similar to US two spade, but not interchangable.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Andersen PowerPoles are great, the only catch being they are a *itch to crimp unless you use the matching Andersen crimping tool. If not, they are hard to assemble and easy to mangle.

A US two-blade AC plug should actually be polarized if it has been made in the last 10? 20? years. They all use one wider blade for the ground side and will not plug in when reversed. That's instead of the 3-pin grounded plugs, which are also polarized so the wide blade fits only in the neutral side.

I'd avoid any type of AC standard connector though, simply because "one of these days" someone might just find a way to plug it into something else that matches. I call that "laying land mines".
Old 05-12-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Heh, all the various suggestions fully demonstrate the sad state of this question. Again it's sort of a pet peeve of mine because I specify electronics and connectors (though usually PCB connectors) all the time and still don't have a great answer.

Though all the suggestions are good. The Radioshack connector is a standard but not sealed in any way, it can be found with gold contacts. And andersons are a nice simple standard.

However I did just notice that McMaster has a line of waterproof DC connectors. Personally, I would strongly consider these if I were installing connectors.

McMaster-Carr

Last edited by asdf38; 05-12-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

if the weather proof ones that mcMaster sells are anything like the ones in my car, they should do well. Definatly something that would work well on electrical componates that need to occasionally be unplugged for service

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 05-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

How about wiping di-electric grease across the terminal block. Can't figure out how it would ever corrode. A bit messy, however, to R&R.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-12-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Well, there is a standard. Every gizmo with a wall wart uses one of those damned coaxial power plugs, and there are some specs about which size plug to use with different voltages and wattages. So if you don't mind wiring up the plug and socket and the soldering nuisance...coaxial power plugs, wallwart style. Power on the plug, device on the socket, which is probably going to be reversed from what you'd want on a boat.

The "super" USB3 standard might also work, that's designed for higher voltages and power IIRC. (IF)
Old 05-12-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I use the Anderson connectors at the boat yard and have yet to see any corrosion develop.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-12-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

You can always use solar MC-4 connectors as they are IP68 rated and capable of 20A...

Terminating Solar MC-4 Connectors (LINK)
kd3pc likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-13-2013

KarlP is on a distinguished road

If you want duplex and they will usually be connected, the Delphi Weatherproof car connectors appear to be inexpensive, fairly well sealed, and secure.