Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Hookin' Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
My AP is an St6001+ (actually that's the control head, the AP itself is a 400G Course Computer). Ih have multiple ST60 (some plus, some not) at twin helms (ST60 Tridata Dept/Speed and ST60 Wind at each, the ST6001 AP head to stbd and an ST60 Graphic on port, with ST60 Graphic repeaters at the nav station and forward berth.

AFAIK the ST60 Multi (I had a couple before upgrading them to Graphics) will control the autopilot only in a limited way - the TRACK button can advance a waypoint or disengage the AP. In practice on our boat this has only ever happened by accident, either an errant button-push or our toddler.

The C80 is a less-networked version of the E80 I have at the helm (mine is networked with an E120 at the nav station, and a RD424HD digital radar). A good unit, though since bringing out the "wide" series, Raymarine renamed the C and E series to "Classic".

In what is IMO one of the more dubious bits of product marketing I've encountered (and this puts it up against some pretty stiff competition) they now brought out a "lowercase-e" series, which is quite different from the uppercase E eseries, whether E-wide or E-Classic). Ok, admittedly off topic but I had to get that one off my chest from a while back.

The C80 will connect to a Raymarine analog radar scanner, but I'd be very surprised if there is any inter-species compatibility between radar scanners and displays.
Thanks red, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I understood that you could go from the NMEA feed of the LRC 1500 radar to the C80 - or at least to the Setalk backbone with a converter. That really is the biggest trick in this set-up I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Smack.

We had a C80, Raymarine analog radar and Raymarine control head to the autopilot. When Haleakula was struck by lightning the C80 circuit boards were damaged, an $700 fix possibly. Since the insurance covered everything we decided on all new.

We chose the C95w. The analog radar was not compatible so it forced them to get the new digital radar a huge improvement and energy saver. All the units are linked through NMEA instead of Seatalk. An added advantage I now everything is blue toothed and steams through my IPAD so need to a second setup at the Nav station. Also I can program routes at home and transfer seamlessly to the Chartplotter

For what you pay for a C80 it may worth it to upgrade. All the other instruments will network. There are packages for the CP/Radar combos all the time.

If you decide to go the C80 route, I would give you my old one if you wanted to repair it. It comes in a custom Navpod enclosure ($300). Its in excellent condition.

Dave

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarine...n-Display.aspx

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-10-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks red, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I understood that you could go from the NMEA feed of the LRC 1500 radar to the C80 - or at least to the Setalk backbone with a converter. That really is the biggest trick in this set-up I think.
That would be a trick, indeed. An analog radar scanner's output is basically a video signal (rather than a TV scanning lines horizontally from each sync pulse, it scans radially outwards, with the echos being the "image" information). That is both the wrong kind and too much info to put on NMEA, whether -0182 or -2000.

According to a short websearch for your radar, it can DISPLAY NMEA info for Lat/Long and Waypoint Bearing/Range, if RECEIVED from another device. I did not see any indication that it could send anything via NMEA.

Even if it had the capability, about the only thing that would be feasible for it to send would be alarm (proximity or waypoint arrival) conditions. And of course, this would require that the 1500's display be present and operating, not just connecting the scanner to the C80.
Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
That would be a trick, indeed. An analog radar scanner's output is basically a video signal (rather than a TV scanning lines horizontally from each sync pulse, it scans radially outwards, with the echos being the "image" information). That is both the wrong kind and too much info to put on NMEA, whether -0182 or -2000.

According to a short websearch for your radar, it can DISPLAY NMEA info for Lat/Long and Waypoint Bearing/Range, if RECEIVED from another device. I did not see any indication that it could send anything via NMEA.

Even if it had the capability, about the only thing that would be feasible for it to send would be alarm (proximity or waypoint arrival) conditions. And of course, this would require that the 1500's display be present and operating, not just connecting the scanner to the C80.
Okay - perfect. Man, I love it when things are explained like this. The SEND vs. RECEIVE is where I was misunderstanding things.

So, at this point, I just need to focus on a good chartplotter that will interface with my existing ST60 instruments. I suppose I can then upgrade to digital radar down the line and pump it into this chain?

Thanks again dude.

Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall03 View Post
Smack,

We are going through a progressive electronics upgrade as well. In the end we have gone to B & G for both instruments and plotter, but we had the advantage of not having exisitng Raymarine gear.

If your going to spend money on a C80 I would encourage you to look at the Raymarine e7d. Not much more money than a C80, however a lot newer, more capable unit.

Not the biggest screen in the world( But hey it's not the size that counts ). Will do the funky wifi talk to ipad business as well.

We have made the call however to go to a B & G Zeus Touch in the cockpit, check it out- specifically the sailsteer function.
Thanks Chall. So, you've got me thinking...

Here is the e7D:

I'm honestly trying to figure out the advantage of this device to an iPad (with case and pedestal mount), used with a transmitter like the iMux:

iMux - The Brookhouse NMEA 0183 Wifi multiplexer

The iMux-ST will apparently feed all the Seatalk data to the iPad wirelessly, and even allow control of the AP.

With all the iPads and iPhones we have, this seems like a pretty good system with a hell of a lot of redundancy.

What's the downside?

Old 07-10-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks Chall. So, you've got me thinking...

Here is the e7D:

I'm honestly trying to figure out the advantage of this device to an iPad (with case and pedestal mount), used with a transmitter like the iMux:

iMux - The Brookhouse NMEA 0183 Wifi multiplexer

The iMux-ST will apparently feed all the Seatalk data to the iPad wirelessly, and even allow control of the AP.

With all the iPads and iPhones we have, this seems like a pretty good system with a hell of a lot of redundancy.

What's the downside?
I'm in the process of upgrading my antiquated electronics package as well (RM C70 Classic plus analog radar). I'm a new boat owner, and thus have zero first hand knowledge, but I've been researching many of the same topics. Here are the downsides of the iPad only approach, as I see it:

1. iPad is hard to read in sunlight
2. iPad is not waterproof
3. iPad is not permanently installed on boat (what if you accidentally leave it at home?)
4. iPad is subject to being dropped, broken, or lost (owing to portability)
5. Multi-purpose unit (iPad) is inherently less stable and more vulnerable to malware or software conflicts than a single purpose unit (chartplotter)
6. iPad has limited connectivity (is there even a way to display radar or sonar?)
7. Most of the new chartplotters have sonar circuitry built in, which iPad does not.

Aside from the obvious cost issue, having a dedicated chartplotter than can communicate with the iPad (like most of the latest units) seems like a much more robust and reliable solution to me.
Old 07-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
I'm in the process of upgrading my antiquated electronics package as well (RM C70 Classic plus analog radar). I'm a new boat owner, and thus have zero first hand knowledge, but I've been researching many of the same topics. Here are the downsides of the iPad only approach, as I see it:

3. iPad is not permanently installed on boat (what if you accidentally leave it at home?)
5. Multi-purpose unit (iPad) is inherently less stable and more vulnerable to malware or software conflicts than a single purpose unit (chartplotter)
6. iPad has limited connectivity (is there even a way to display radar or sonar?)
7. Most of the new chartplotters have sonar circuitry built in, which iPad does not.

Aside from the obvious cost issue, having a dedicated chartplotter than can communicate with the iPad (like most of the latest units) seems like a much more robust and reliable solution to me.
I agree with this. I use my I Pad bluetoothed into the C95w Raymarine so its like having a secondary station.

I choose the C95w vs E70 because of the the touch screen only capabilities of the e70I found even though i took care of our C80 after 4+ yeras the screen eventually got a little clouded dull because of the salt mist. Now add to that you are doing a lot of touching with your dirty fingers vvs using knobs abd buttons it could only add to the mess.

My wife would also swipe through menus too quickly.

All I am saying is look at both models ( c95w screen is larger too). Both have bluetooth I Pad capability a great plus.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-10-2013
Last Man Standing

Hey Rusty - I don't have any knowledge either, but it seems worth a try for the kind of sailing we'll be doing for the next couple of seasons (Bay and close-in Gulf).

I'll answer each of your points with my completely uninformed assumptions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post

-I have the iPad 2. It's pretty good. And I also have a bimini, so that might help.
-I'm looking at the Lifedge product line for both case and pedestal mount.
-I wouldn't leave the chartplotter at the helm anyway. And I could buy an iPad (or 4) JUST for the boat at far less than the current Raymarine chartplotters. I'll also have serious redundancies with all the iPhones we have.
-Not an issue with the case.
-If I end up with a dedicated iPad on the boat, this isn't an issue.
-From what I read, if the signal is Seatalk/NMEA 0183, the iMux will push it to the iPad. So, if it's digital radar/sonar that is Seatalk compatible - yes, I think so.
-True. I'm not worried about sonar for now. But again, if it's Seatalk it seems it should work.

Old 07-10-2013

Quote:
Hey Rusty - I don't have any knowledge either, but it seems worth a try for the kind of sailing we'll be doing for the next couple of seasons (Bay and close-in Gulf).

I'll answer each of your points with my completely uninformed assumptions...
I concur with most of your points, but would add the following:

-I have the iPad 2. It's pretty good. And I also have a bimini, so that might help.
*I've been underwhelmed with iPad performance in sunlight just for general use, let alone a fixed mounting at the helm with the sun over your shoulder, and with other issues to deal with.
-From what I read, if the signal is Seatalk/NMEA 0183, the iMux will push it to the iPad. So, if it's digital radar/sonar that is Seatalk compatible - yes, I think so.
*I know even less about boat networking, but I've read that 0183 is similar to PC serial bus = very slow. I doubt either has the bandwidth to transfer moving images, like radar or sonar. Wifi would be more likely, but then the radar or sonar needs to communicate by Wifi, and I haven't heard of any that do.
-True. I'm not worried about sonar for now. But again, if it's Seatalk it seems it should work.
*Assuming that bandwidth wasn't an issue (see previous), the iPad would only display the image, which means you'd still need some sort of separate sonar unit to generate and process the sonar data, which many chartplotters do themselves.

There are dozens of threads, here and elsewhere, about using an iPad as a chartplotter. My understanding is that is exactly what the high dollar racing teams are doing (though my guess is that they have an old fashioned chartplotter on board too).
Old 07-10-2013

Garmin (and others) sell a device that adds wifi to older chartplotters. That might be a less expensive way to have the benefit of a large multi-touch screen (iPod), without giving up the connectivity and reliability of a traditional chartplotter.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.