Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Hookin' Up

Okay - so I've been researching this whole Seatalk/NMEA thing, and I think I have a very basic handle on things, but there's still A LOT that's over my head.

The basic issue is this...I need to replace the existing chartplotter - which is actually an old Hammerhead computer with GPS and Seaclear charts (and Windows 2000!). My iPad with iNavX runs circles around this thing - but I don't want to use the iPad for a primary CP because I'd like to network things together.

As for gear, here is my current nav inventory:

JRC LCD Radar 1500
Raymarine ST70 Autopilot
Raytheon ST60 Multi – Depth/Speed/Enviro/AP (1 @Helm, 1 @Nav St.)
Raytheon ST60 Depth/Speed/Wind Cluster
Icom IC-M502 VHF
Icom CommandMic II
KVH Sailcomp 103AC

Now, because I just dropped an insane wad of cash on replacing the standing rigging, and I still need to drop some more on new running rigging, and because we won't be going off-shore this season while we get used to the boat...I don't want to drop a huge amount of money into electronics right now. I want to make use of what I have.

So, here's the thinking...what about the Raymarine C-80 Color CP? I can probably find one for under a grand, and it should interface nicely with my ST60 and ST70 instruments. And it does appear to have radar input (though I don't know how the JRC 1500 will need to be tweaked on the way in).

My biggest challenge, after you guys tell me the best way to go for an affordable chartplotter solution, will be in figuring out how to hook all this up. Currently, the only instrument at the helm (w/o the Hammerhead) is the ST60 multi-display. I'm pretty sure it also controls the AP - but I've not tried this out yet.

So, let me know what you think on the chartplotter, then I'll be asking tons more questions as I figure out how to install and hook everything up.

Thanks for the help fellas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road
Re: Hookin' Up

Smack that is cruel. Now I am going to have to research interconnection of navigational aids. My conceptual method was to run everything from a waterproof computer (software). Now as an electronic tech (long out of service) I will have to find a way to implement an integrated system. If and when i figure it out Ill let you know.
Old 07-05-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Smacky, there's nothing wrong with the old C-80 (I think TDW has one in the Womboat) and it will connect easily enough to the ST60 and ST70 instruments over Seatalk..

.. but if you're planning to use your iPad onboard, if you can splurge out on one of the new C-series you could use Raymarines' new wireless App..
Old 07-05-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So desert, you in the market for an old Hammerhead computer? Have I got a deal for you!

Hart, I gotta take some baby steps here dude! I'm sure I'll go crazy here in a couple of years and get a whole new kit, but right now I just want to get the basics solidly in place.

Old 07-05-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

stealth makes an encapsulated truly waterproof computer. Not cheap.
Old 07-05-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna

C-80 is a good chartplotter. I have one and I love it on my Hunter :>)
They only problem with the C-80 older is you need a Raystar 125 GPS to hook up to it. They new chartplotters have built-in ones.
smackdaddy likes this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 07-05-2013
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
C-80 is a good chartplotter. I have one and I love it on my Hunter :>)
They only problem with the C-80 older is you need a Raystar 125 GPS to hook up to it. They new chartplotters have built-in ones.
Okay, I officially take back the "thanks fellas" quip. You are obviously one with-it sailin' chick. You own a Hunter, you know about stuff like this...I shall now bask in your glow Mel!

Thanks for the heads up on the GPS.

Old 07-05-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Smack,
Womboat plotter looks of same vintage as the C-80, maybe older ? Model is RL-80. Absolutely nothing wrong with and its linked into Seatalk network. Bit heavy, a touch clunky compared to newer gear. Ours, btw is mounted under the dodger. Personally I like that as it makes viewing from other than behind helm more practical. On passage we are on auto pilot so there is rarely anyone behind the wheel as such. Keeps it out of the weather as well.
Cheers
Andrew
smackdaddy likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-05-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

My AP is an St6001+ (actually that's the control head, the AP itself is a 400G Course Computer). Ih have multiple ST60 (some plus, some not) at twin helms (ST60 Tridata Dept/Speed and ST60 Wind at each, the ST6001 AP head to stbd and an ST60 Graphic on port, with ST60 Graphic repeaters at the nav station and forward berth.

AFAIK the ST60 Multi (I had a couple before upgrading them to Graphics) will control the autopilot only in a limited way - the TRACK button can advance a waypoint or disengage the AP. In practice on our boat this has only ever happened by accident, either an errant button-push or our toddler.

The C80 is a less-networked version of the E80 I have at the helm (mine is networked with an E120 at the nav station, and a RD424HD digital radar). A good unit, though since bringing out the "wide" series, Raymarine renamed the C and E series to "Classic".

In what is IMO one of the more dubious bits of product marketing I've encountered (and this puts it up against some pretty stiff competition) they now brought out a "lowercase-e" series, which is quite different from the uppercase E eseries, whether E-wide or E-Classic). Ok, admittedly off topic but I had to get that one off my chest from a while back.

The C80 will connect to a Raymarine analog radar scanner, but I'd be very surprised if there is any inter-species compatibility between radar scanners and displays.
Old 07-06-2013

chall03 will become famous soon enough

Smack,

We are going through a progressive electronics upgrade as well. In the end we have gone to B & G for both instruments and plotter, but we had the advantage of not having exisitng Raymarine gear.

If your going to spend money on a C80 I would encourage you to look at the Raymarine e7d. Not much more money than a C80, however a lot newer, more capable unit.

Not the biggest screen in the world( But hey it's not the size that counts ). Will do the funky wifi talk to ipad business as well.

We have made the call however to go to a B & G Zeus Touch in the cockpit, check it out- specifically the sailsteer function.