SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   SSB Antenna wire (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/101946-ssb-antenna-wire.html)

sailak 07-30-2013 01:51 AM

SSB Antenna wire

My boat has an Icom M710 SSB with tuner installed. The back stay is insulated and used as the antenna. I have been able to receive but very scratchy and somewhat distorted. I have not gotten any reply when sending so suspect I may not be putting out. As I started looking at things I found the wire to back stay connection was done with a poorly fitting clamp and the wire pulled out of the clamp. For the interim I used a small hose clamp to secure the wire to the back stay. As I checked further I found the wire was crimp butt spliced just above the deck. The splice fell apart when I removed the tape covering it. I think my antenna may be sub par. :D

What kind of wire should I use between the back stay and the radio?

How should I attach the wire to the backstay?

I'm clueless about this stuff, advice/tips appreciated.

Thanks.

btrayfors 07-30-2013 07:47 AM

Re: SSB Antenna wire

Dale,

Use GTO-15 wire between the tuner and the backstay. This is high-tension, single conductor wire....essentially neon light wire.

At the backstay, one good and easy way is to use stainless steel wire clamps....the U-shaped ones with two nuts on them. Get a third nut (most are metric sizes these days) and fit a good ring terminal on the end of the GTO-15 wire to slip over one of the clamp studs, and secure it with the extra nut. This makes a very strong connection which can be easily removed, inspected, cleaned, or replaced.

Bill

aeventyr60 07-30-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btrayfors (Post 1066359)
Dale,

Use GTO-15 wire between the tuner and the backstay. This is high-tension, single conductor wire....essentially neon light wire.

At the backstay, one good and easy way is to use stainless steel wire clamps....the U-shaped ones with two nuts on them. Get a third nut (most are metric sizes these days) and fit a good ring terminal on the end of the GTO-15 wire to slip over one of the clamp studs, and secure it with the extra nut. This makes a very strong connection which can be easily removed, inspected, cleaned, or replaced.

Bill

To help maintain the integrity of the connection you can wrap the entire clamp(after connecting the antenna wire) with butyl tape. I used some heat shrink before butyl tape became the in thing.

CapnChuck 07-30-2013 09:35 AM

When you clamp the GTO to the backstay, be sure and loop the wire so it points DOWN. This will keep water from wicking into the cable and causing corrosion. Chuck

sailak 07-30-2013 11:11 AM

Thanks Gents!