Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-03-2013

dchunt is on a distinguished road
Garmin GPSMap 2006c not using plug-in card

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 2006c chart plotter with the MUS018R Lake Erie - Lake St. Clair chart plugin. The unit has worked flawlessly from when I purchased it in 2002 until today. We were out sailing and when I glanced down I saw that I was only getting the 'base map' display as if the unit was not seeing the MUS018R plugin. When we first went out it was displaying the base map plus the plugin overlay correctly.

I tried turning the unit off and on as well as putting the plug-in in both the top and bottom card slot to the left of the unit but got the same base map display. If I click the option to show the 'Card Map Information' it properly shows that the card is inserted. I have also checked on the Map | Source page to make sure that the Data Card Map is set to 'On'. It is. However, whether I turn it on or off, the map display is the same.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Any thoughts as to a solution? Is there a way to do kind of a hardware reset on the 2006c?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
Pearson 36' Arriba
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: Garmin GPSMap 2006c not using plug-in card

Do you have either another card or a unit to test to see if the problem is either the card or the unit? Is the software updated by way of a card or plug in to a PC. Since neither card slot works I'd bet on the card being bad. Call Garmin. I've always had good results with their support.
Old 08-04-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

Do a factory reset first, it erases everything but it gives you a known starting point.
Make sure that each area on the card map is checked off in the column to the left hand side of the card map screen and that it is applied. There is a check all button there.
Make sure your de-clutter is on and your detail is set on max.
If that doesn't work then you may have a hardware problem.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 08-04-2013

Thanks to both of you. I'll try the factory reset. I'm assuming I do a Factory reset as follows:

To perform a master reset:

Ensure the device is powered off
Press and hold Page and Enter simultaneously
Power on the GPS while continuing to press both buttons
NOTE: Immediately release the power button once the GPS powers on
Release on the buttons once the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Select Yes

This was for another Garmin GPSMAP but I hope it is the same for the 2006c.

Dan
Old 08-04-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchunt View Post
Thanks to both of you. I'll try the factory reset. I'm assuming I do a Factory reset as follows:

To perform a master reset:

Ensure the device is powered off
Press and hold Page and Enter simultaneously
Power on the GPS while continuing to press both buttons
NOTE: Immediately release the power button once the GPS powers on
Release on the buttons once the Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
Select Yes

This was for another Garmin GPSMAP but I hope it is the same for the 2006c.

Dan
Dan--

That process will take the unit back to where it was when you purchased/installed it. If you have been doing the periodic software up-dates you will have to reinstall them, one of which was very important as it changed how the unit operated somewhat to account for changes in the GPS signals (in about 2004-05 or so). For what its worth, I think I would try the chip in another unit to ensure its functionality before I did a cold reset. I have seen cases where a chip was corrupted somehow or another and that may be your issue.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-05-2013

Thanks. Before reading your cautions yesterday, I tried resetting the GPSMAP per the instructions I posted before. It did not work. I never got a prompt to do that. I guess that is a good thing based on your cautions.

I don't know anyone else who has a 2006c. Do you know how universal these cartridges are? Will they work in newer Garmin marine units?

Dan
Old 08-05-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Thanks. Before reading your cautions yesterday, I tried resetting the GPSMAP per the instructions I posted before. It did not work. I never got a prompt to do that. I guess that is a good thing based on your cautions.

I don't know anyone else who has a 2006c. Do you know how universal these cartridges are? Will they work in newer Garmin marine units?

Dan
Dan--

We have had a 2006C at our Nav Station since January 2002. The only time we had any difficulty similar to what you describe was on one occasion when, somehow, the maps on the installed chip became de-selected in the set-up tab. I do not know how the issue developed but it was resolved simply by check-marking the maps box and quiting back to the chart display. The chips will fit any number of units that were manufactured between 2001 and up to about 2008-'09 so there is likely someone in you marina with a device that can read the chip. Alternately, you might be able to ship it back to Garmin for review.

In case you need it, you can down-load the manual at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/ma...ID=171&ra=true . Check out the instruction on page 20 of the manual
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 08-05-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Add addendum
Old 08-06-2013

Thanks to all for the advice. For future users, to do a full reset of the GPSMAP 2006c you need to have the unit off, the map cards out and then press and hold the Power and Quit button at the same time. The unit will come on and then prompt you to erase all user data. Say Yes.

I did this, then turned the unit off then back on and then inserted the map card again. I got the dialog showing it was downloading data from the map card (not just numbers counting up but a progress bar saying 'downloading data') and then I got everything back! My GPSMAP 2006c now works like new.

Thanks again,

Dan
Old 08-06-2013
Old as Dirt!

Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice. For future users, to do a full reset of the GPSMAP 2006c you need to have the unit off, the map cards out and then press and hold the Power and Quit button at the same time. The unit will come on and then prompt you to erase all user data. Say Yes.

I did this, then turned the unit off then back on and then inserted the map card again. I got the dialog showing it was downloading data from the map card (not just numbers counting up but a progress bar saying 'downloading data') and then I got everything back! My GPSMAP 2006c now works like new.

Thanks again,

Dan
Dan--

Now that you're back to 2002, you might want to do a software update. The most recent up-date that corrects a number of issues is at Garmin: GPSMAP 2006/2006C Updates & Downloads. If you have a plug connected to your machine, you can do this from a lap-top. If not, you can load the up-date to a chip and insert it in the unused card slot. If you don't have a card reader/writer, you can get the update on a chip from Garmin, load it, and return the chip to Garmin for next to nothing.

Good Luck...

Tags
chartplotter , garmin