Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013

dszerlag is on a distinguished road
best electronics package

Hi I'm new to the board and have a question that surely has been debated many times but thought i would ask anyway. I am refitting a 1886 Pearson 39. It has ST-50 instruments that work including WS. Other than that and a new VHF no electronics. I would like some thoughts (of which there must be many) about the best electronics I can buy for the boat with a budget of 5K. Looking for chartplotter, radar and AIS receiver. I intend to go off shore on occasion and will be sailing the boat from Newport to S. Florida this fall, outside of the ditch.
S. Florida, Bahamas and Carib will be the intended cruising grounds for the next three years or so.
Thanks in advance.
David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: best electronics package

Garmin seems to be winning on price. Raymarine on sheer breadth and interconnectivity. Simrad wins on capability (HD Radar), and Furuno seems to win on ruggedness (if at the price of new features). Just my opinion.

I'm likley refitting my boat with Raymarine soon. But I'm watching the open source community very closely. I love how OpenCPN can do radar overlay (on a Garmin scanner). Other people have reverse engineered Airmar tranducers.

$5k being your budget, I'd look at Garmin.
jrd22 and Group9 like this.
Old 08-06-2013

szigi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
Hi I'm new to the board and have a question that surely has been debated many times but thought i would ask anyway. I am refitting a 1886 Pearson 39. It has ST-50 instruments that work including WS. Other than that and a new VHF no electronics. I would like some thoughts (of which there must be many) about the best electronics I can buy for the boat with a budget of 5K. Looking for chartplotter, radar and AIS receiver. I intend to go off shore on occasion and will be sailing the boat from Newport to S. Florida this fall, outside of the ditch.
S. Florida, Bahamas and Carib will be the intended cruising grounds for the next three years or so.
Thanks in advance.
David
If you have working ST50 instrument, I think you should consider sticking with Raymarine, since you could network your existing instruments/transducers into the new setup (look for the Seatalk-converter kit and the ITC-5 transducer converter). Also it is worth considering having some of the old instruments as backup, even if you go for a MFD.
Old 08-06-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

pm me if you end up wanting to sell the ST50s. I might be in the market for windspeed head unit.
Old 08-06-2013

sure, i actually just had the masthead unit repaired. I dont know what I am doing just yet but should make decision in the next 2 weeks or so.
Old 08-06-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dszerlag View Post
sure, i actually just had the masthead unit repaired. I dont know what I am doing just yet but should make decision in the next 2 weeks or so.
Slight thread drift here, but are you aware of anyone that will service the ST50s? Raymarine won't support them anymore.

Back on point: Depending on how you use your boat may influence your decision on an electronics package. E.g., if you are racing at all, then you might want to look at B&G or NKE.

Finally, didn't the 1886 Pearson '39 come with a quadrant and a taffrail log? These are tried and true technology! Why give them up?
Old 08-06-2013

A friend of mine repaired the masthead, he dabbles with electronics on his own Was a coastie electronics tech. The 39 did come fully equipped but i decided to even get rid of the lead line and modernize.
Old 08-07-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I didn't even know Pearson was making sailboats back in 1886!!!
Old 08-07-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road

It's been on my wishlist too... I have a garmin 546 plotter, But I'd like to add radar and ais ( though the 546 will accept ais it won't interface with radar. So I've been eyeballing the 741xs bundle. GARMIN GPSMAP 741xs / GMR 18HD Radar Value Pack at West Marine

Add a radar mount. last time I priced them I think Questus mounts were the most reasonably priced.

you'd need a pod or a mount for the helm..it all adds up quickly...but I think will fit into your budget. are you doing the install ?

I really like my 546. Somehow I misplaced the thumbscrew that holds the unit on the mount. I called Garmin to see if I could get a replacement...they sent me a whole new mount.. N/C arrived in 5 days. This , 4 years after I purchased the unit.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-07-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2013

That is good customer service!