Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-13-2013

northwestsailor is on a distinguished road
Advice on HAND-HELD Marine Electronics

We're members of a sailing club, usually sailing a 25' Catalina on the Potomac between Washington DC and the entrance to the Chesapeake. The boat has a VHF mounted in the cabin and a depth sounder (and compass) in the cockpit. There are no other marine electronics aboard.

What HAND-HELD marine electronics do you suggest we carry with us when we sail in these waters?

Would you recommend anything else/more for sailing the same boat on the Chesapeake?

(Please don't tell us about marine electronics that we could install; it's a club boat and we don't control that).

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice on HAND-HELD Marine Electronics

I have a number of hand held VHF radios and within the major manufacturers in the $100-$125 price range, I see zero difference in reception and transmission capabilities. Beyond basic communication, it's a matter of what bells and whistles you want (GPS, Bluetooth, etc).

Since I have a number of ways to get my position on other devices that have GPS, I feel no need to pay extra for it on the hand held.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-13-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Garmin GPS78 hand held unit. With charts.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-13-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I checked my iPhone Garmin app against the chartplotter on the boat I was on between Miami and Georgia (part ICW, part coastal). It provided consistent location information.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-13-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

All handheld GPS units will give you accurate positions, it's just a matter of battery consumption and the bells and whistles. The same is pretty much true for handheld VHFs. There are some small differences in performance with VHFs, but not enough to worry about. The best options to look for, IMHO, are waterproofness (almost a given these days) that its floatable (please don't ask me about this ), and how viewable the screen is in bright sunlight.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 08-14-2013

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Advice on HAND-HELD Marine Electronics

We sail on the Chesapeake and carry a Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx which has been great. Rick solid, battery operated but pretty efficient. Garmins approach to chart distribution and updates is somewhat irritating (i.e. SD cards, one update per chart purchase within first 12 months, etc).

We also have a Uniden waterproof VHF.

Not electronic but we also keep a set of binoculars on deck.

Last but not least we keep a backup handheld Garmin GPS unit (not a chartplotter)

Those items should provide you reliable and portable navigation anywhere on the bay.

Josh
Old 08-14-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

You can save a lot of money if you have a decent smartphone, either MS, android or 'i' - all have chart apps available, and all are good.
For 14 bucks I got Navionic's USA East - the charts are the exact same as the charts used on big buck chartplotters (2D type) and most smart phones use a micro chip gps receiver now not just vectored cell towers for location.
My phone is my 3rd backup (chartplotter, netbook with PolarNavy, phone, hardheld magellan, paper charts - in that order).

For VHF, just go with the simplest one you can find that can be recharged via the boats 12v. You don't need MMSI or DSC as you'll be hopping boats - and on a narrow river.
Old 08-14-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Yea to Chuckles. Our previous boat had no fixed electronics other than log and depth. We used an old Garmin handheld GPS without charts. Simply took our lat and long if out of sight of land and plotted on paper. Eventually put in a Navman (crap) plotter with C-Map charts and hardly ever used the thing other than for planning. For mine I find the small screens too annoying when it comes to charts but younger eyes may have more luck. Handheld VHS worked well also.

Newer boat is uber electronic but we still keep a handheld or two as backup.

Now use puter or tablet for planning.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Garmin 76Cx with North American East Coast chart chip
Old 08-15-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

You should explore Garmin's handheld selection. They have many models an different iteration of the same models. Many can do double duty such as sailing and hiking, sailing and street maps (often with voice directions). I think it's their 640 that is preloaded with all US charts and streets. I don't think there is another manufacturer that comes close to the variety of different hand helds and "portable" models.