Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 34crealock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2 year old Rogue wave wifi

Do these things corrode and wear out. I notice they build a more robust stainless model now. Mine has lost continuity somewhere. Still has power to the unit but no signal through the network cable to the computer??
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: 2 year old Rogue wave wifi

The Bullet isn't really waterproof and they do poop out after a while - usually three or four years or one really good hurricane. You can get another Bullet on eBay for much less than a whole new system.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2013

El Rubio is on a distinguished road

I would check the connection to the antenna, especially if it isn't weather sealed. Also, the ethernet connections are very susceptible to moisture damage. If it uses a standard 8 pin RJ45 ethernet plug, you can pull it out and inspect/clean the pins. A pencil eraser works well on most minor corrosion ( white powdery coating), but not as much on heavier, sometimes green looking caked on corrosion. CAT5 cables & RJ45 connectors are rather delicate and if you move yours around or connect and disconnect it often, the wires can get broken near the connector inside the wire itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Rubio For This Useful Post:
34crealock (09-19-2013)
Old 10-12-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

The marine electronics professional who made up the power over Ethernet cable and installed it had switched 2 wires around. My local computer guy found it and fixed it. Works great now.
Jgbrown likes this.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon
Old 10-13-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34crealock View Post
The marine electronics professional who made up the power over Ethernet cable and installed it had switched 2 wires around. My local computer guy found it and fixed it. Works great now.
Where was yours installed?
I had one of these come in in August with the same issue. In addition, the network was badly setup, customer was having to unplug the power to ethernet adaptor, power to the router (which wasn't even allowing wifi, or access to the 2 terabyte drive inside) every time he wanted to connect. Then running an ethernet cable out through an access hatch from the router to the laptop. All of this was done right over the back of live exposed 120v breakers and a shore power switch every time.
Old 07-02-2014

granche1 is on a distinguished road

To anyone who is considering purchasing this product I would highly recommend not doing so. As stated above, the extremely expensive stainless steel Rouge Pro is incredibly fragile and not even water resistant. The Ethernet connection is built in such a way that unplugging the device will result in breaking the unit and the warranty does not cover this. I have been dealing with these people for a couple of years and in the end have wasted $700 on this thing. It functioned correctly for a month or two. The customer service has been terrible and they do not stand behind their product.

Grant

s/v Viandante