SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   What GPS to use (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/106641-what-gps-use.html)

ltgoshen 11-19-2013 11:29 AM

What GPS to use

I am a weekend sailer with a ambition to go off shore more and more. I have a Garmin 215 from the 2000's that is going bad. I would like to know your imput in what I should replace it with. I dont have $700.00 bucks. I am a man of limited means.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Coastal cruising and offshore easttern US.
thanks

jameswilson29 11-19-2013 01:07 PM

Re: What GPS to use

I like my Garmin GPSmap 76Cx...you may need to buy its successor, as it was being phased-out.

MarkSF 11-19-2013 01:13 PM

What is your budget? Fixed or handheld?

ltgoshen 11-19-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 1137145)
What is your budget? Fixed or handheld?

375-400 not sure on the hand held? Maybe fixed would be better. Somthing easy to use.

MarkSF 11-19-2013 04:57 PM

Some thoughts rather than a particular recommendation : (had my Lowrance HDS 5M for 3 years now)

The 5" screen on my fixed is far more useful than the less than 2" one on my handheld. I'd only recommend a handheld if you're changing boats a lot.

In SF Bay with currents, I love the "projected line of course" feature. It projects the actual course in a line (I have it set 1 mile ahead). So you can see where you are really going, not where you are pointed.

NMEA2000 support is nice if you want to have all the instrumentation interconnected (for example, GPS speed displayed on the GMI 10, and so on)

The AIS target display on the Lowrance is nice (connected to a AIS receiver)

The Lowrance is powerful for the money, but not easy to use. Garmin have a better reputation for ease of use.

hellosailor 11-19-2013 05:58 PM

A lot depends on what you want to do.

INshore, a $200 tablet with free nav software and charts works.

OFFshore, pretty much any GPS will do, you don't need charts to show you open water.

So a lot depends on what you want to do with it.

ltgoshen 11-19-2013 10:16 PM

Well mostly we will sail the Rivers in and around the AICD Charleston to St Augustine Fl,
I want to know where the bottom is. I want to be able to see my COG and Hull Speed. I want to start going off shore more and more and need to know where the channel to the rivers are. Along the coast here you can find very shallow water 5 miles off the beach. I need to know where I am at knight. I want to start training this coming summer for overnight sailing. From my dock to Charleston is an over night offshore. So I need a all around GPS I guess?
I have a Garmin 215 Black and white that use to work o.k but the screen is starting to go.
Thanks guys for the help. They are so expensive anymore I don't to end up with the wrong unit.

Let me know if this helps.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps2ef39d13.jpg

MarkSF 11-19-2013 11:18 PM

The GPS will give you COG and SOG, but if you want speed through the water, you'll need a knotlog/paddle. If they are both nmea2000, you can use the plotter to display the speed from the paddle.

In fact if you buy a DST800, it'll give you speed and depth. Another $250 though.

PaulinVictoria 11-20-2013 02:10 AM

WM are knocking out the Lowrance 5 with Gold charts and a transducer for $430. Seems like a good deal.

arisatx 11-20-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 1139697)
The GPS will give you COG and SOG, but if you want speed through the water, you'll need a knotlog/paddle. If they are both nmea2000, you can use the plotter to display the speed from the paddle.

In fact if you buy a DST800, it'll give you speed and depth. Another $250 though.

.. and temperature, useful in crossing the Gulf stream etc...