Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-23-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
VHF Radio - static on transmit not recieve

Hey friends - I have discovered my VHF radio has developed some bad static when I transmit......I did a radio check today using the SeaTow automated radio check here and although the programmed message from SeaTow came through crystal clear the recording of my outgoing message came back sounding really statickey (is that a word?). I scanned through the channels and can hear traffic at the cruise port very clearly, so I'm guesing it isn't the antenna. The unit is a Standard Horizon Explorer GX1600 that's about two years old and it has never had a problem until now. Any ideas on what could be causing the outgoing message to have this problem?
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio - static on transmit not recieve

Engine running? Sounds like interference. Does it occur when engine is off? Test a number of variables to test for interference.

Tod
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

It could be the mike or mike cord. Try a repeat with the mike and cord held against something so there is no relative movement between the mike, cord and radio.
Old 12-24-2013

capt jgwinks is on a distinguished road
Were you plugged into shore power at the time? That will often put a loud 60 hertz hum into the signal.
Old 12-24-2013

Thanks for the replies, guys.....last night I tried turning off the shore power and still got the static, and plugged in the ram mic at the helm and got the same thing. This morning I checked the antenna connections at the radio and at the base of the mast where it is spliced in but no luck there either. I checked all the grounding and that all seems secure, too. Puzzling. I'm starting to worry that the radio itself is on it's way out. Reception is still really strong but the transmit has a lot of static.

It looks like a bird has been camping out at the top of the mast judging from the mess on the mainsail cover, so maybe the connection at the masthead has come loose......not sure how I could be getting good reception if that's the case, but that's the only other thing I know to check. Guess I'll check SH customer service and see if they have any tips before I go aloft.
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry
Old 12-24-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

bird guano, etc. could be corrosive up there but I'd try to get a real person to listen to your transmission, to make sure the "static" is in your signal and not an artifact of the way SeaTow's recording is being made. Before you go nuts trying to chase down the gremlin, make sure it IS your gremlin, not theirs.

It can also be worth making, or picking up, an "emergency antenna" that plugs directly into the back of your VHF. As a troubleshooting tool, that will also tell you right away if a problem is in the cable and antenna, or in the radio.

Standard Horizon has outstanding customer support, it might be worth calling them and asking if they have any ideas on this. And if the radio is UNDER two years old? Maybe it had a 1-year warranty (some of them are 3) with a second year free warranty from your credit card company? It pays to check and if you've got some warranty, just send it in to SH for a tuneup and checkout if all else fails.
Old 12-24-2013

Thumbs up Re: VHF Radio - static on transmit not recieve

Thanks HelloSailor......the problem seems to have resolved itself - whether it was with my gear or Seatow's I'm not sure. I did a radio check a little while ago with a friend who lives about 3 miles away and the transmit and receive were both crystal clear, and now I'm getting the same from the SeaTow automated service. I had taken the antenna connections and ground connections loose and cleaned them, and when I put them back together everything seems to be working. Problem solved, I guess, until the next time the gremlin decides to have some fun.....

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry
Old 01-07-2014

sail1948 is on a distinguished road

Gratulation, its running fine.

My question:
Is there a DSC radio check by the US Coast Guard at Short Wave?
I found a note of a Dover (UK) based one
http://www.gmdsstraining.co.uk/news-and-newsletter
its working on all SW bands.
Thanks, Wilhelm

Old 01-07-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogandy View Post
Thanks HelloSailor......the problem seems to have resolved itself - whether it was with my gear or Seatow's I'm not sure. I did a radio check a little while ago with a friend who lives about 3 miles away and the transmit and receive were both crystal clear, and now I'm getting the same from the SeaTow automated service. I had taken the antenna connections and ground connections loose and cleaned them, and when I put them back together everything seems to be working. Problem solved, I guess, until the next time the gremlin decides to have some fun.....

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a safe and happy New Year!
Do you have any inline connections that would benefit from sealing with self-amalgamating tape?
Old 01-07-2014

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Wilhelm, I confess that I do not understand half of that article. It seems to be written for a specific audience who will know what it does not bother to say.

In the US, as far as I know DSC functions (and is monitored) only on VHF. At least, that's all that is used for small pleasure craft, or all that is publicized for out use.

And again AFAIK the use of 2187 for anything was obsoleted and formally discontinued perhaps five years ago, by the ITU as well as the USCG. Why anyone would be monitoring it, let alone why anyone would have equipment set to broadcast on it, totally baffles me. But then again, I'm easily baffled and definitely not an expert on these things.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.