Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-31-2013

Argo38 is on a distinguished road
what electronics to use- Raymarine, furuno, simrad or other

Hi
first time user..

I am after some advise on selecting an electronics package on a 15Ton 38ft steel yacht. we fitted raymarine E series hybrid touch to my brothers yacht and have had problems with it shutting down, reverted to Ipad on coastal trip.

needing radar, plotter, auto helm, wind instrum etc.

seems raymarine is the most user friendly, but reliable??

any views, pros cons of other brands?? spending lots of $ so all advice taken on board
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road
Re: what electronics to use- Raymarine, furuno, simrad or other

I can't speak for other brands but I put new Garmin, plotters, radar, sat radio and below deck auto pilot on my boat 3 years ago. Have had no issues, spending about 60 days a season on the boat.
PSC 34 #286
Coorie Doon

Last edited by 34crealock; 12-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

From what I have read they all are to one point or another bad. Some customer service is horrible, others are flaky in operation, but if you go to pro level they are at least reliable. I think that is where people go wrong, they think they are going to be pro level function out of consumer grade goods.

So given that I would head to West Marine or someplace that has multiple setups and see if you like the interface. That is really important, as you will have to go through the interface every time you use it. Then ask locally what people are using and what they like and dislike are. I would check to see if there is a firmware update on the Raymarine E series, as I think I recall that is there latest model and perhaps has a software fix for it.

But if you want total reliability look at what the professional watermen are using. There livelihoods are on the line. They are normally too busy to learn new systems too so you will likely have good interfaces there as well. I think as these systems get more complicated, the more there is to fail, so perhaps keeping it simple is the answer?
Old 01-20-2014

Argo38 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: what electronics to use- Raymarine, furuno, simrad or other

Cheers for that, good advice, sorry it took a while to reply, (couldn't work out how to)

You are right there is a factory fix for raymarine E series, I am hoping that it will not be needed when I buy. re kitting whole yacht elec so want to use same brand all through, although looking at wireless mast fittings, ie wind etc

seems people rely on ipad these days even some comercial guys and off shore yachties???..
Old 01-20-2014
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Not sure if anyone relies on an iPad, but lots of people use them. Personally I wouldn't have one but there you go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2014

RocketScience is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
...But if you want total reliability look at what the professional watermen are using. There livelihoods are on the line...
Well, that would be Furuno.

Coast Guard
More pics HERE.

Commercial Fishing
More pics HERE.

I'll be the first one to tell you, that if you want a lot of bells and whistles, go Garmin, but they are relatively new to the marine market, and from what I hear, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. If you want super intuitive, ease of use, and a price point that's hard to beat, go Raymarine. But if you're willing to pay a bit more, don't mind a steep learning curve, and reliability is foremost, Furuno all the way. That's what I did.

P.S.
I'm not affiliated with Furuno in any way
Old 02-12-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I think Garmin has great customer service. You an call right up and talk to a guy in Oregon. I know less than most but I think of them as

Garmin-newer but the easiest and best. Especially the best GPS technology. Best house charts. Mid cost.

Raymarine-the more fancy brand. My little experience with their customer service was when a trailer was parked at a boat show and me and one other guy were in it and they wouldn't answer my questions about autopilots. Although I think they are known for having the best autopilots.

Lowrance- the blue collar, decent quality, good customer service but since they cater a lot to fisherman, and not always big fancy fishing boats but like they have some of the cheapest fish finders and chartplotters. But you get the most for you money. They come often with preloaded charts.

Hummingbird-mostly low level for fishermen

Simrad-harder to use, good quality. Good radars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2014

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

My personal favouite is Furuno, especially for radar as I find their use quite intuiitive and their manual written by an actual english speaking person.

I also find Garmin reasonably intuitive and reliable.

I have had many problems with Simrad plotters and radar.

Comnav is by far the most reliable and easy to use autopilot on the market.

I do not like Raymarine plotters at all particularly when radar is used on the same display as some of the most basic adjustments are buried several layers down in a menu maze and anytime you change something on the radar you get changes on the plotter (sometimes small, sometimes huge). These are the only units I keep the manual at the helm on deliveries.

I do like the old Raymarine XX series radars as menus are minimal and the frequently used adjustments are knobs just like the older Furunos.
Old 02-12-2014
1984 Bene First 35'

gbgreen59 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have had many problems with Simrad plotters and radar.
I have been considering Simrad because they make a tiller pilot for larger boats (mine is a 35'). Raymarine's tiller pilot is limited to around 32' if I remember right. So, I am considering building the electronics around the Simrad product line. If I understand things correctly, the plotters need to be used with the same brand of radar, depth guage, etc. Only Nemea I/O devices can be used interchangeably.

I would definitely appreciate opinions.
Old 02-12-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgreen59 View Post
I have been considering Simrad because they make a tiller pilot for larger boats (mine is a 35'). Raymarine's tiller pilot is limited to around 32' if I remember right. So, I am considering building the electronics around the Simrad product line. If I understand things correctly, the plotters need to be used with the same brand of radar, depth guage, etc. Only Nemea I/O devices can be used interchangeably.

I would definitely appreciate opinions.
If you stick to NMEA 2000 (all major manufacturers have NMEA 2000 now) you can mix and match within some limitations.

Radars and MFD's must come from the same manufacturer (as radar is not a part of NMEA 2000 standard)
With depth, speed, temp and wind sensors can share data with plotters and display units in the NMEA 2000 network.

Note that there is no standard for calibration and software updates.

An autopilot can normally operate in three different modes
  1. Steering to a compass course (fluxgate -most have rategyro today)
  2. Steering to relative wind (need wind direction from wind sensor)
  3. Steering to way point need integration with MFD (plotter)
For 3 to work you need the MFD to be connected.

To control the autopilot from the MFD I think you will need both to come from the same vendor.
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
gbgreen59 (02-12-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.