SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is AIS redundancy bad?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  34crealock 
#1 ·
I currently have an Ais receiver built into my vhf which displays on my Garmin plotter and seems to work well. I would like to add a class B so that other guys can see me. Do I need to unhook the receiver in the vhf and plug the class B into the network or can I just let the class B transmit over its own antenna( with all MMSI data etc) or will the system think I am crashing into myself and continuously plot my imminent demise?:)

#2 ·
No you dont need to hook the Class B transponder to the VHF.

and yes, redundancy is fine.

Not only that, your receiver on the VHF will show that you are transmitting an AIS signal, something a plotter cant do.

Ypu will need to be able filter it out so you dont get a CPA alarm on your VHF from your own signal.

Mark

#3 ·
The last boat I was on had a "buddy boat" function for the AIS so it wouldnt trip the alarm on a designated contact. Everything else on the boat was Raymarine so the AIS probably was too though I cant swear to it. Wouldnt be surprised if others have something similar. My boat is all Garmin and you can simply click on each contact to make the AIS be quiet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.