Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Navionics differences

Can anyone tell me the differences between gold, plus, and platinum? They sell different sd cards to go in a non garmin chart plotter but their website does a poor job explaining it.

Especially gold or plus. They sell a gold card for us and Bahamas, and a plus card for us and Canada.

The plus says you can download more on the card, but why would you if it already includes all the us and Canada?

They are very expensive. Don't want to get the wrong one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2014

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: Navionics differences

Gold is all you need. the rest is just bells and whistles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2014

Jaramaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Gold is all you need. the rest is just bells and whistles.
Tend to agree with Jones, GOLD is a rather traditional 2D chart with about sufficient information in most cases. + and Platinum+ contains more info, as photos of harbours, more depth info and so on.
Note that all non-garmin doesn't work with Navionics, and some that do, do not accept + and/or Platinum+. There is a compatibility document on Navionics homepage - look into that one before you order.

At least in Europe it is possible to buy a subscription for Android / iPhone /iPad for a very reasonable sum; I got most of Europe for ~$15, a nice complement which has some of the features in + and Platinum+.

Navionics has been critized for the way information is handled when zooming out - some grounds disappear, even islands disappear. Easy to counteract - zoom in until all details are visible.

/J
Old 01-26-2014

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

We have sailed over 25,000nm from Trinidad to the Gulf of St Lawrence and three times around the Caribbean using the gold, which while expensive have proven to be very good value.

Just do not trust them outside US and Canadian waters for close quater navigation. In the Caribbean/Bahamas the charts and GPS are accurate it is just the rocks and islands are in the wrong place.

In Mexico the chart plotter showed us in the car park of a Catholic church because when they used a sextant to chart Mexico they were our by 300 yds!

In the Bahamas/Caribbean you navigate by sight!
Old 01-26-2014

If you already own a chartplotter, then yes, the $199 (+/-) price tag is steep. But, if you haven't already bought a plotter, Lowrance sells a series of plotters and plotter/sounder combos with Navionics gold charts preloaded for North America, and the price is reasonable.

Old 01-26-2014

Hmm. It's an option to get gold with a lowrance plotter. They don't all come with it right?
The rest come with silver?

I'm serious. Navionics website is terrible. I'm liking the lowrance/navionics better than garmin but trying to navigate that website is like pulling teeth.

It's that darn plus us and Canada card. They don't tell what it is. It's $169.00. And it is programmable. It says download detailed charts for the areas you go to the most. Does that mean it has gold charts for us and Canada already and you can get platinum for specific areas? Or just an individual lake. Yet why if it already has gold for all us and Canada is it less expensive than just the gold card for us and northern Bahamas? Maybe it's just a blank sd card, we don't know. They don't say.

Nor can I find any store on their website to purchase any downloads. It's on my phone this morning. Maybe a regular computer will make more sense.

Garmin should never have sold me that cycling edge 800 for $650. Thing was terrible. Nothing like their marine plotters and handhelds. But it put me off garmin. I don't know that many of you have seen it. But it has about the same quality as an etrex, the most basic and inexpensive handheld, yet less features. Or they have the $350 edge 510.which doesn't even have a map. Just a line on a blank screen.
n7cjv likes this.

Old 01-26-2014

NOB, you'rte working backwards- work from the hardware side of things, not the software side of things to get the info you need.
Lowrance Elite-5 HDI Gold Fishfinder / Chartplotter with Hybrid Dual Imaging
northoceanbeach likes this.

Old 01-26-2014

I am not having any problem navigating navionics site. All your answers are here: FAQs | Navionics

Old 01-26-2014

Yes. I woke up an got frustrated for some reason. I've gotten bitten by the tech bug but am behind on my understanding.

I have this:

Lowrance Elite-4x DSI | Fishfinder with DownScan Imaging - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

And this:

HDS-5m Gen2 - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

Old 01-26-2014
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

For Salish Sea and Vancouver Island you either want this one in Gold:
Navionics: No Ntag Charts - Info

or this one in Platinum:
Navionics: No Ntag Charts - Info

I found the 913P+ for about $250 last year, about $50 more than the cheapest price I could find on the 2XG. The tides and currents feature was worth the $50 to me. The 3D stuff is sort of silly. The satellite imagery is moderately helpful at times, but not essential.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.