Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road
HAM v. SSB Frequencies (check radio is unlocked for HAM)?

Hi there

I have a HAM Extra license (but have never really used it for voice, only got it to legally send email over the radio).

I finally have a boat with an ICOM IC-M700Pro which works fine for email via HAM and SAILMAIL. I'm told by previous owner that the radio is unlocked for HAM.

How can I prove/check this? Where can I go to find a list of HAM only (or since I have the HAM frequencies, where can I go to find the SSB only ones as that would also allow me to answer the question) frequencies. I'm assuming there is some overlap.

I figure once i know a HAM ONLY frequency I can simply attempt to transmit and it will either work, or not. If not, I still need to get radio unlocked (which would be my NEXT problem). Just to confirm, I DO have a ham license (AI4QI) and am legal to transmit.

Thanks all in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014

redline is on a distinguished road
Re: HAM v. SSB Frequencies (check radio is unlocked for HAM)?

Your ham course study material should have a list of the ham bands; alternately you can find them all over the 'net, but (since stopping here wouldn't be much use to anyone), try one of the nets on 14.300. More info at 14300.net, summary from that page,

"There are three major nets in the Western Hemisphere that operate on 14.300 MHz. From early morning until late evening the frequency is busy with traffiic of one form or another. Begining at 0700 ET daily, The Intercon Net, formally know as The Intercontinental Amatuer Traffic Net, starts out the day. Intercon runs until 1200 ET before handing the frequency over to The Maritime Mobile Service Network. The MMSN, which also runs daily, operates from 1200 ET until 9 PM EST / 10 PM EDT or 0200 UTC. After The MMSN raps up The Pacific Seafarers Net begins operation at 10 PM EST / 11PM EDT or 0300 UTC and runs various lengths of time, depending on traffic load, but usually about 2 hours or less. "

If the radio is unlocked it should be obvious as soon as you key the mic, but you're more than welcome to check in anyway.

Norm
VE2BQS
CFN4213
The Following User Says Thank You to redline For This Useful Post:
marinegirl405 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014

windward54 is on a distinguished road

You can get a copy of the band plan on line, for example from Icom:

Amateur Radio Tools - Icom America
The Following User Says Thank You to windward54 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

You may also find more information at: American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO
The ARRL is the U.S. national amateur radio organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to OPossumTX For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Hi Maryanne,

The 700pro is easy to unlock if yours isn't already.

Look here for the bandplan for ham radio: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regul...ands_color.pdf Note this is the US band plan and there are some differences in other countries and regions. Look up the IARU regions and refresh yourself.

You are likely to find that the maritime nets on the ham bands are more useful than those on the marine bands (there is no overlap - they are interleaved). See SSB Nets & Frequencies for a list of both.

Holler if we or I can help.

73 es sail fast de dave KO4MI
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014

sail1948 is on a distinguished road

You may want to look inside the radio if the modification is made.
There are some diodes to cut.
On mods.dk - Modifications for radioamateur
you find several articals how to open the M710 to HAM bands.
Wilhelm

The Following User Says Thank You to sail1948 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2014
Every day, Something new

marinegirl405 is on a distinguished road

Wow - Thanks guys - really helpful. I had 2 problems (which now my brain has finally understood)

1) I had the ham bands, but for some reason I thought there was overlap with the ham and SSB bands, so I was not sure if any band I tested was HAM only, and therefore truely testing if the HAM bands were unlocked. I NOW realized that HAM and SSB bands are different and therefore any ham band test if valid

2) My radio a M700pro has dials so I can move to any station (great) and can listen/receive easily. HOWEVER if I want to TX, I MUST program one of the set channels to that band - otherwise my TX fails to TX.. This is a frustrating step, and one that I (without realizing) had sometimes done, and sometimes not so I was getting mixed tests - sometime I could transmit on ham bands, other times not. Eventually I worked out that I must always include this step. Frustrating but it works.

Thanks all for your help... I have successfully confirmed my radio is unlocked (14300kHz, and others) and have successfully transmitted on HAM bands.

Yay for me, and thanks to you all... you Elmers out there are much appreciated.

Old 02-26-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

[Rant]

Allow me to be an old curmudgeon. It drives me nuts when people call things by the wrong names. Particularly since they do it since they are ignorant and choose to remain ignorant.

There is no such thing as a "SSB Band." SSB is a mode. In particular it is a mode using a "single side band" with or without a suppressed carrier. AM and FM are modes, as is FSK (frequency shift keying.) There are "Ham Bands" and "Marine Bands." (You will note that I am side stepping the fact that there really are side bands, upper and lower and you can operate the single side band mode in either.) Ham's use both, Marine only uses upper. But in the context that cruisers use the word "SSB Radio" the nomenclature is wrong. The accepted nomenclature is MF/HF radio. You will note that your "SSB Radio" also can send and receive in AM and CW.

Of course we know that continued misuse of words results in the misuse being accepted, consider "quantum leap" aka an "atomic electron transition."

[/Rant]
SVAuspicious and scgator2001 like this.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 02-26-2014

redline is on a distinguished road

As a grammatical and technical nitpicker from way back, I'd agree, though in this day and age it's unlikely to see anyone using CW in the marine bands (or the original poster in the Ham bands), and while the MF/HF radio can certainly receive, and possibly transmit, AM it's raison d'etre aboard ship is for MF/HF SSB communications. And all marine VHF radios are FM.

Given that combined SSB/FM radios are scarce and not under consideration here, I'd say that calling MF/HF radios "SSB" and VHF-marine radios "FM" at least isn't going to create any conflicts. I'm all for exact terminology (and have even lectured folks on the distinction between a "DE-9" vs "DB-25" (there's no such thing as a "DB-9")), in this case the mislabeling is at least consistent and not going to generate confusion.

I still warn my radio classes that as a ham I'm as likely to say "HF" when I mean "MF/HF", with apologies in advance for mislabeling the 2 to 3 MHz range.

But I do agree there's no "SSB Band" - the spectrum really doesn't care what we do with it, only the rules do. But even so, there are Bands (plural) on which only SSB is used (ok, with a bit of FSK thrown in), and others which are soley FM (lets not into the nuances of PM vs FM), so even the the expression is irritating, at least it's unambiguous.
Old 02-26-2014

scgator2001 is on a distinguished road

An Extra class license that doesn't know how to figure out what frequencies to use?

I am speechless if the person even has a license much less an extra class

De WE4I

Tags
ham , ssb