Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2014
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
AIS integrated into VHF Radio.

Quote:
Jon Eisberg ..... One advantage for me of having AIS integrated to the VHF, I don't have to be running a more power-hungry plotter to enjoy the benefits of AIS...

I've heard of this but know little about it. Think of AIS as a visual aid, meaning that the fixes appear on the plotter or puter screen. How does the radio present the information ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: AIS integrated into VHF Radio.

TD, there was thread on this a while back...

I believe the radio in question is the Standard Horizon GX2100-series which, unfortunately, is not available in Oz. It has an AIS target display showing MMSI, Call Sign, Ship Name, BRG, DST, SOG and COG and allows the user to quickly contact an AIS-targeted ship using DSC which is kinda cool - especially in an emergency.

The GX2100 provides NMEA output to a chartplotter, which it needs to get GPS data from (NMEA again) since it doesn't have a built-in GPS - so it's really intended to be used with a chartplotter and an associated instrument suite... although it seems there is now a GX2200 with inbuilt GPS!

Do keep in mind that these radios (this one anyway) are AIS receivers - not transponders. That would require something a whole lot more sophisticated again, with an associated drain on the batteries.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-24-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2014

CharlzO is on a distinguished road

Taking it a step further, the GX2200 has both integrated GPS and AIS. They actually display a dot-matrix display on-screen, similar to a radar circle, with blips for AIS targets within a certain range. They can then be hooked up to external plotters etc for better viewing and more detail.

I'd recommend downloading the manual and reading through for more information on it (I don't have mine installed in the boat yet, so I can't really say much on it yet)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-24-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I believe the radio in question is the Standard Horizon GX2100-series which, unfortunately, is not available in Oz. It has an AIS target display showing MMSI, Call Sign, Ship Name, BRG, DST, SOG and COG and allows the user to quickly contact an AIS-targeted ship using DSC which is kinda cool - especially in an emergency.
..after reading the Manual (a fairly serious download) I notice it states "The MATRIX Series VHF's operate on all currently-allocated marine channels which are switchable for use with USA, International or Canadian regulations.". Ignoring the crappy English, I have never understood why the USA insist on being, not just different from the rest of the world ("International") but Canada also?!? It seems those on the far side of the ocean can't agree on anything.

Anyway, my point being, Fuzzy 'ol pal, that if one were to import one from the States it should work here just fine...

Last edited by Classic30; 02-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2014

redline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
..have never understood why the USA insist on being, not just different from the rest of the world ("International") but Canada also?!?
Far be it from me to excuse anything done by the country to the south of us in the Great White North, but they and we do have a need for more simplex, and fewer duplex, channels than are internationally defined. Then again, the US went and auctioned off their duplex telephone channels.

We also deal with some legacy spectrum planning issues, like the first few channels having belonged to the railways in parts of Canada. And there's the matter of a great chunk of both countries being, er, rather far from any coastline.

I teach the Restricted Operator's Certificate (Maritime) course for our local squadron, and even I find that the matrix of channels/areas/users/authorized-uses is, well, convoluted to say the least.

On topic, I have a SH GX2150 (with AIS, without GPS) hooked up to both ship's GPS (to radio) and chartplotter (from radio) and am very happy with it. The radio *and* its remote mic both have a simple and easily readable display of nearby AIS targets with vectors, and you can call up additional detail on any, as well as call them directly by MMSI. The display is small but uncluttered, to the point where it's often easier to see than the targets on the chartplotter hidden amongst all the other info.
Old 02-25-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Far be it from me to excuse anything done by the country to the south of us in the Great White North, but they and we do have a need for more simplex, and fewer duplex, channels than are internationally defined. Then again, the US went and auctioned off their duplex telephone channels.

We also deal with some legacy spectrum planning issues, like the first few channels having belonged to the railways in parts of Canada. And there's the matter of a great chunk of both countries being, er, rather far from any coastline.
The railways.. that makes sense. Thanks!

Spectrum planning issues occur everywhere (blimey, we've had to deal with our fair share and there's nothing quite like a bit of channel interference to help people make the shift*) but I guess some countries have more desire to do something about it than others. I don't imagine it would be too difficult to simply tell everyone they need to switch to 'International' after a certain date.. but then given the bureaucracy, time and costs involved - nah, it's not going to happen.

* = Over here, the spectrum for wireless microphones (the type used at concerts and conferences) has changed twice in the past 20 years or so and is changing again right now. On the verge of one change, we had been demonstrating a new system in a local church which happened to have a gymnasium next door. The preacher couldn't see the need to spend the $$$ until, suddenly, right at a key point in the middle of his sermon, a high-pitched female voice broke in loud and clear over the speakers saying "C'mon girls! Lift those legs!!!". We got the order for new mics the very next day.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-25-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

There are lots of VHF sets with integrated AIS receivers

Lowrance (Navico) Link-8 DSC/ VHF Marine Radio - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics
Simrad (Navico) RS35 VHF/AIS Radio - Simrad Marine Electronics

Icom IC-M506 VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

All of these have AIS plot on the display

Most need GPS input - but that's no problem?

Some of these models must be available in Australia
LOWRANCE LINK-8 DSC VHF AIS ? WATERPROOF ? AUSTRALIAN MODEL | Island Inflatables
Old 02-26-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

The radio has a small 'radar' like display.

To the best of my knowledge there are a few radios that integrate AIS receivers:
Standard Horizon GX2150 / GX2200. These use NMEA 0181 to interface with other devices like chart plotters. The GX200 has a built in GPS while the 2150 gets GPS info from the network. These radios support a second corded mic.

Navico (Lowrance LINC 8, Simrad RS35). These radios use NMEA 2000 so connectivity should be plug and play. The RS35 can use the HS35 wireless remote.

ICom 506 (not available in US yet). This is another unit that uses NMEA 2000 for connectivity.

I have the SH 2150 on my current boat. It works well and I send the AIS data to a PC running seaclear that can display the AIS information. The remote mic is in the cockpit so that at night I can determine how close the ferry will get to me, and when I need to change course to stay out of the way.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I've heard of this but know little about it. Think of AIS as a visual aid, meaning that the fixes appear on the plotter or puter screen. How does the radio present the information ?
Attached Thumbnails
AIS integrated into VHF Radio.-gx2150-1-.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2014

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough

So, I bought a 2100 a couple of years ago. Just now got a chartplotter for it. Problem is that the 2100 is not fully compatible with my chartplotter since the data rates for the NEMA 183 interface don't support my single NEMA 183 interface on my chartplotter.. the 2100 wants to send some data at low speed and other at high speed.

They made a software mod on the 2150 model to allow all data to operate at the same speed, which is good.

So I have to decide between AIS or DSC, which is disappointing.

the 2200 seems to be a better way to go, since the GPS is integral, and you only need one data connection.

So

I wish they would support NMEA 2000.. I would rather only have one network on my boat.

I expressed my frustration to a Standard Horizon rep at the boat show. He wasn't particularly sympathetic. He did think that they would eventually support NEMA 2000

My choices seem to me to be:

1) Just hookup one data connection to my chart plotter. No DSC
2) Sell my radio, and get a 2200
3) Get a dedicated transponder... (Maybe I really should be transmitting anyhow
4) Continue to sulk about this

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-26-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djodenda View Post
So, I bought a 2100 a couple of years ago. Just now got a chartplotter for it. Problem is that the 2100 is not fully compatible with my chartplotter since the data rates for the NEMA 183 interface don't support my single NEMA 183 interface on my chartplotter.. the 2100 wants to send some data at low speed and other at high speed.

They made a software mod on the 2150 model to allow all data to operate at the same speed, which is good.

So I have to decide between AIS or DSC, which is disappointing.

the 2200 seems to be a better way to go, since the GPS is integral, and you only need one data connection.

So

I wish they would support NMEA 2000.. I would rather only have one network on my boat.

I expressed my frustration to a Standard Horizon rep at the boat show. He wasn't particularly sympathetic. He did think that they would eventually support NEMA 2000

My choices seem to me to be:

1) Just hookup one data connection to my chart plotter. No DSC
2) Sell my radio, and get a 2200
3) Get a dedicated transponder... (Maybe I really should be transmitting anyhow
4) Continue to sulk about this
All the VHF i listed in my post support NMEA 2000 AIS integrated into VHF Radio.

I have an em-trak AIS B transponder - it can send AIS data on NMEA 0183 (high speed AIS need high speed NMEA 0183 port) and NMEA 2000 at the same time, solve the problem with older equipment.
AIS B100 https://em-trak.com/