SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Chartplotter at the nav station (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/134257-chartplotter-nav-station.html)

Hudsonian 04-14-2014 10:06 PM

Chartplotter at the nav station

My wife and I recently looked at a boat with a Raymarine c-70 at the nav station. Can a repeater located at the helm?

CharlzO 04-15-2014 11:25 PM

Re: Chartplotter at the nav station

There are many options out there for dual displays (not sure exactly which models off-hand, I'm still fairly new to it all myself), but there are plenty that offer remote displays, or syncing with iPhones/iPads etc. Easy way is to pull up an owners manual online for the units you're considering, and see if they list it as an option.

Hudsonian 04-15-2014 11:32 PM

Thanks I checked the product description on the Raymarine website but hadn't thought to download the manual. Duh!

SVAuspicious 04-16-2014 06:57 AM

You might also consider moving the C70 chartplotter on deck and put a laptop with nav software at the nav station.

PBzeer 04-16-2014 08:35 AM

I use a laptop at the nav station, rather than a pedestal mount, since I don't steer by the chartplotter. If I'm going to be looking at any instrumentation, it's the depth sounder.

Hudsonian 04-16-2014 11:34 AM

Thank you, charlzo. I checked the C-70 manual which referred me to the installation instructions. The installation instructions show that the C-70 supports external wind, knot log, and depth displays but no supplemental chartplotter display.

I'm disappointed. I frequently refer to the data from the chartplotter when at the helm. Going below to get this information strikes me as inconvenient and when I'm the sole person on watch dangerous.

These instruments are quite weather resistant. Why would they be mounted below? Theft protection?

BarryL 04-16-2014 04:04 PM

Hey,

Once you start looking into electronics, even for units 2-3 years old, things can quickly spiral out of control.

My own view is that chart plotters were mounted down below because that's where the 'navigator' worked and he would need it there. I don't believe that's how it works anymore and I certainly want the plotter at the helm where I can use it while actually sailing.

You mentioned 'repeater,' what do you mean by that? Typically, a repeater will display information like boat speed, depth, wind information, and maybe lat / lon and even waypoint information (bearing, distance, time, etc.). If that's what you want you should be able to add a repeater, like the i70, which could display lots and lots of information. The downside of that is cost - the i70 is around $500 and then you would need the appropriate networking cables.

If you want to see the chartplotter display, then you really need another or new plotter.

Personally, I would just move the C70 up to the helm and be done with it. If you want information down below then use an old, cheap laptop, or a tablet with GPS or buy a cheap plotter.

Good luck,
Barry

miatapaul 04-16-2014 07:28 PM

Yes move the plotter up to the helm. Down below I would use an iPad or old laptop with Open CPN a free chart software that is well supported and will integrate with future electronics. It will even work on an old netbook, does not require much.

SVAuspicious 04-16-2014 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarryL (Post 1743769)
I certainly want the plotter at the helm where I can use it while actually sailing.

Which is a discussion in and of itself. I think the stack of electronics on the pedestal so common today is ill-advised. Instruments should be forward, preferably over the companionway where they can be seen from anywhere in the cockpit. A chartplotter should be under the dodger preferably to port.

BarryL 04-17-2014 12:06 AM

Hey,

To each his own.

I certainly don't want instruments mounted so high that they block sight, or will get grabbed or otherwise broken.

I like to have the plotter near the wheel so I can easily use it for the task at hand. If I'm racing I want to see distance and time to waypoints. If I'm anchoring I want to see the SONAR display. If I'm just daysailing I might not even turn it on. If I'm cruising and in bad visibility or at night or in a crowded area I want to see AIS targets. I don't want to have to move back and forth between the pedestal and the companionway to make changes.

The plotter on my O'day is 5" Lowrance unit. MyC&C has a Garmin 7". Neither one takes up much space. The O'day has the wind, speed, and depth instruments mounted above the companionway. They are old Datamarine units and can be a little hard to read. The C&C has Raymarine ST60 units mounted in the bulkhead at the forward end of the cockpit, next to the companionway.

Barry

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 1744873)
Which is a discussion in and of itself. I think the stack of electronics on the pedestal so common today is ill-advised. Instruments should be forward, preferably over the companionway where they can be seen from anywhere in the cockpit. A chartplotter should be under the dodger preferably to port.