Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: The bottom line on Ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I see Universal Radio has a special for $300.
That is tempting. The alternative is a sw scanner and a VX-6R waterproof for dinking around.

Please see my post above. I'm very interested in what you guys that are both hams and sailors have to say.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

Some advice:
Do not waste time with low budget HF receivers. A good one is hardly any cheaper than a HF transceiver and a cheap one will frustrate you.

I have NO knowledge of these units other than looking them up, but here are a few samples:
Icom IC M700 Single Side Band Radio System w Sea 1612 Auto Tuner Excellent Cond | eBay

The old IC-M700s are very good radios and do ham frequencies.

The 706 does BOTH HF-SSB and 2 meters and is quite small.
ICOM U*-IC-706MKIIG-VA14 | HF, 6M, 2M, 70CM All Mode Mobile Tranceiver in original box.

You will find VHF and UHF radios fairly limited on a boat. I do have 2 meter gear, but very few boats do. I would guess 99.5% of maritime radio traffic is ham-HF/SSB, marine HF/SSB, and marine VHF. I have my 2 meter on all the time and I think I have heard another boat on there maybe twice in 15 years. Most 2 meter activity seems to be people driving to and from work conversing on a repeater. I did program my Standard-Horizon HX370s for some 2 meter frequencies. It works well on them and also remains a watertight and legal marine VHF radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

An Icom 706 (any series) might actually make a good compact receiver. Especially because they often died when the transmitter final transistors blew, and for some years now there have been no replacements available for those. So there should be units being sold "as is, for parts, does not transmit" out there.

But equally, be warned that a 706 series would be a poor choice for anyone expecting to transmit in the future, as any damage to the finals is not repairable. In theory, sure, that would never happen. In practice, there was a lot of protest about this.

At the right price...as long as you know the story. They also drain power even when they are off, and they are vulnerable to voltage damage, as the input power uses capacitors rated at 15VDC. On a 14.4 power supply, those should have been rated 25VDC. Capacitors generally are only manufactured to a 10% voltage tolerance, so a 15 volt rated part is really only designed to be used up to 13.5 volts, which is less than normal alternator power.

Good radios--but like many, some frailties. There are reasons Icom discontinued them.
Old 05-12-2014

Coquina is on a distinguished road

So forget about the 706 then
My TS-440 has tolerated a decade of boat use and was used when I got it. They are really old now though.
Actually THIS looks like a great boat radio and is new:
Icom IC-7200 Transceiver, Icom 7200