Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
AIS / Marine Traffic

Now that I have an AIS system (Raymarine AIS650) why don't a show up on Marine Traffic? When I look at the target data using proAIS2 it shows a base station about 1 mile from me. Can someone explain how it is supposed to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: AIS / Marine Traffic

Good line of sight to the Marine Traffic receiver site near you? Are you sure it's a Marine Traffic site? Have you tried aprs.fi? They use different receivers. Do you know for sure you are transmitting?

Where in MD are you?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Good line of sight to the Marine Traffic receiver site near you? Are you sure it's a Marine Traffic site? Have you tried aprs.fi? They use different receivers. Do you know for sure you are transmitting?

Where in MD are you?
Marine Traffic did pick me up once while going under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, so I think I'm transmitting. My slip is in Chesapeake Harbour near Annapolis. Perhaps the base station listed on the proAIS2 target list was not a Marine Traffic base station, but aren't there any others near Annapolis? At what sort of range should I be visible with my Raymarine AIS650? I would think I would be showing up much more often.
Old 05-08-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
At what sort of range should I be visible with my Raymarine AIS650? I would think I would be showing up much more often.
AIS uses two dedicated VHF marine radio bands. Thus, your range will be approximately the same as your range transmitting and receiving on your VHF. There are technical reasons why the range might be a bit longer but generally the working distances are close enough for government work.

Fair winds and following seas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 05-08-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Marinetraffic.com has receivers only. They will never come up as base stations.

Base stations you see are government, coast guard, harbour authorities etc.

To know if Marinetraffic.com works in your area you need to see vessels on it that are very close to you.

ProAIS2 will show you that you are transmitting, but to check how far you need another boat to check for you when they are moving away from you. The difficulty is the digital package should go further than voice, so you cant hear them tell you on VHF that they can no longer see you.
Maine Sail and Bene505 like this.

Old 05-08-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Marine Traffic did pick me up once while going under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, so I think I'm transmitting. My slip is in Chesapeake Harbour near Annapolis. Perhaps the base station listed on the proAIS2 target list was not a Marine Traffic base station, but aren't there any others near Annapolis? At what sort of range should I be visible with my Raymarine AIS650? I would think I would be showing up much more often.
Hmm. MarineTraffic is showing lots of boats on Back Creek and in Selby Bay. Chesapeake Harbour should show up.

I went back a week on aprs.fi but didn't see you there either.

AIS is on VHF channels 87B and 88B. Have you tried listening for your own transmission?

If those simple things don't work you'll have to start looking at your installation. I live in Eastport off Harness Creek. Let me know if I can help.

Old 05-08-2014

Quote:
Hmm. MarineTraffic is showing lots of boats on Back Creek and in Selby Bay. Chesapeake Harbour should show up.

I went back a week on aprs.fi but didn't see you there either.

AIS is on VHF channels 87B and 88B. Have you tried listening for your own transmission?

If those simple things don't work you'll have to start looking at your installation. I live in Eastport off Harness Creek. Let me know if I can help.
Thanks. My system was professionally installed; I hope it's not an installation problem. There is a boat called Bernadette that has her AIS on 24/7 in Chesapeake Harbour. I don't see her on either website. Perhaps it is just a dead spot. I plan to go for a sail on Sunday. I guess I'll just have to try calling a few AIS targets and ask if they can see me.

How would I go about listening to my transmission? How would I be able to tell it's my data?
Old 05-09-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
My system was professionally installed; I hope it's not an installation problem.
*bites tongue* *hard*

Quote:
There is a boat called Bernadette that has her AIS on 24/7 in Chesapeake Harbour. I don't see her on either website. Perhaps it is just a dead spot.
Possible. I'm surprised those town houses block anything. They are pretty lightly constructed.

Quote:
I plan to go for a sail on Sunday. I guess I'll just have to try calling a few AIS targets and ask if they can see me.
You can also look at MarineTraffic.com (10-15 minute delay) or aprs.fi (2 or 3 minute delay) on a smartphone.

Quote:
How would I go about listening to my transmission? How would I be able to tell it's my data?
You can't tell for sure. If you hear sqaucking on 87B or 88B try pulling the antenna connector off your radio (don't transmit) and see if you still hear it, although you may still hear Bernadette.

Note that aprs.fi lets you look at data up to a week old, so even if you don't talk to anyone you can get a pretty good idea of whether you are transmitting or not.

You aren't in silent mode are you? Within 5 minutes of power-on the indicator should be green. If it is blue you are in silent mode.

dave
Raymarine Certified Technician

Old 05-09-2014

Quote:
*bites tongue* *hard*
Well everything else is working and their wiring is neat and orderly. Prettier than I could / would have done. Hopefully the quality is there too.

Quote:
Possible. I'm surprised those town houses block anything. They are pretty lightly constructed.
Agreed. That's why I'm surprised I'm not being pick up on the websites. But then again Bernadette isn't either.

Quote:
You can also look at MarineTraffic.com (10-15 minute delay) or aprs.fi (2 or 3 minute delay) on a smartphone.
I've been using the MarineTraffic app on my phone to see if I'm showing up. I didn't know about the delay.

Quote:
You can't tell for sure. If you hear sqaucking on 87B or 88B try pulling the antenna connector off your radio (don't transmit) and see if you still hear it, although you may still hear Bernadette.

Note that aprs.fi lets you look at data up to a week old, so even if you don't talk to anyone you can get a pretty good idea of whether you are transmitting or not.

You aren't in silent mode are you? Within 5 minutes of power-on the indicator should be green. If it is blue you are in silent mode.
According to PsroAIS2 I'm not in silent mode.

I came across this AIS 650 Has Very Short Transmit Range - Raymarine Technical Forum

I have the AIS100 splitter. My antenna is on top of the mast. I'll check the VSWR with the ProAIS2 app this weekend.
Old 05-10-2014
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Well everything else is working and their wiring is neat and orderly. Prettier than I could / would have done. Hopefully the quality is there too.
I apologize if I came across as snarky. I worked on three boats last week that needed significant re-wiring to get installed systems to work reliably. On one boat I pulled out 400 feet of wire abandoned in place.

Quote:
The AIS 650 runs at the Class B specified power output. The moderator response has a typo - there is no such thing as a VSWR of 0.8:1. 1.0:1 is perfect. The AIS 650 will shut down to protect itself with a VSWR somewhat above 2.0:1. Note that the original poster found an installation problem that resolved the issue.

Quote:
I have the AIS100 splitter. My antenna is on top of the mast. I'll check the VSWR with the ProAIS2 app this weekend.
I'm not a fan of splitters. I encourage my customers to avoid them. You will have a 3 dB reduction (1/2 power) through the splitter and a small additional reduction due to the additional number of connectors - bigger yet if cheap crimp connectors are used. The signal reduction applies to your VHF as well as to the AIS.

If you like we can schedule a time to meet up and I'll put an antenna analyzer on your system for you.

You can certainly get systems with splitters to work (I have). My basic recommendation is to leave the masthead antenna to the fixed VHF and put another antenna on the pushpit rail, on a spreader, or an arch. My AIS antenna is on a radar pole. I only use solder-solder silver-teflon connectors and the best coax I can get.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.