Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-14-2014

wopalx is on a distinguished road
Re: Airmar / Raymarine DST800 Transducer Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
So.. you hold the manufacturer responsible for the transducer being located in close proximity to gear that can get damaged by salt water? Why do you have all that stuff located in the bilge anyway??
The thru hull is not in the bilge, it's forward in the forepeak area.

I don't hold the manufacturer responsible for damage to other items, simply I want the item to work as advertised / designed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2014

Whispering Wind is on a distinguished road

I have a new Airmar triducer installation, with a single flapper in the thru-hull. I am experiencing a 17" v-shaped geyser when the ducer is removed, and you can see visually that the flapper valve is completely closed. We hauled the boat (again, more $$$) to confirm that the flapper was not defective. This is no BS - I couldn't get anyone to believe me so I made a video. If you haven't experienced this you need to see it. The geyser drenches the bilge and splashes the sole. You need three hands to remove the ducer, control the geyser, and install the plug.

For those with detached flappers, how would you describe the geyser you are experiencing?

How about anyone with flappers intact? What are you observing?

The speed ducer Airmar supplied with my OEM Raymarine instruments 13 years ago only "gurgled", producing about 4 oz of sea water during a rapid transition. This one must put out 2-3 times that. Sure, my geyser is better than no flapper at all but come on Airmar, what were you thinking? Does the benefit of combining speed, depth, and temperature in one ducer justify such a massive cleanup?
Old 06-22-2014

Whispering Wind I responded to your post on SA.

In both cases the flapper has dissapeared. When the flapper was still in place we would get barely a drop of water coming in but we have always been pretty fast with swapping them over.

Likewise we had the older style Airmar transducers in our last boat and never once had an issue.

I've considered going to the older style and replacing the tri-ducer with separate depth and speed. However it would require a iTC5 box to interface and involve installing another hole into the hull which I'd prefer to avoid.
Old 06-22-2014

Thanks wopalx got that reply. I realize that the flapper design may have changed in the 2 years since your installation, but going from a drop of water to a geyser sounds highly unusual. I sent my video to Airmar and the initial response was that what I am experiencing is normal!?! After your flap detached, did you get a geyser? How high?

You mentioned going back to the older ducers combined with the Raymarine iTC-5 Instrument Transducer Converter as a possible fix. Does this convert the ducer output to N2K? I have B&G instruments so SeaTalk wouldn't work for me.
Old 06-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Wind View Post

You mentioned going back to the older ducers combined with the Raymarine iTC-5 Instrument Transducer Converter as a possible fix. Does this convert the ducer output to N2K? I have B&G instruments so SeaTalk wouldn't work for me.
Yes it converts the transducer output into what the ray marine displays need.

I've sent you a pm with my email address as I'd be interested in seeing your video.
Old 06-23-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Please post the video, thanks.

The model number being discussed is the DST800 series, correct?
Old 06-23-2014

Yes, this is the Airmar DST800 triducer spec'd by several instrument mfrs. Apparently there is no way to post video on this forum, so I have made it available on SA.

It shows very graphically how much sea water volume enters my boat with the flapper valve intact. You can see the flapper valve, along with its spring, in the closed position. The water bypasses the valve on 2 opposite sides, creating 2 symmetric geysers in the shape of a V. You can see the sole, located 16 inches above the thru-hull, getting splashed.

I would be very appreciative if anyone who has the DST800 triducer with flapper valve would weigh in on a informal poll:

For anyone who has suffered through a detached valve - how high was the geyser?

For those with intact valves - did you experience a gush of water into the boat anything like mine? Or just the minor gurgle that most people report with the smaller diameter speed transducers?
Old 06-23-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Just saw the video, thanks.

I'll pull my DST800 sender this weekend and check out the flow for comparison.

That said ... it is not my expectation that the DST800 flap will stop the water flow, just slow it down. And I'm coming from a former Datamarine fitting that had no flow inhibitor

Cheers
Old 06-23-2014

Thanks for weighing in WG. FYI, I pulled my ducer with the boat stationery. I expect that to be worst case scenario since flow should reduce as hull speed increases. If you have a chance to share some video or pics of pulling yours that would be great.

In light of the well documented potential for this unit to lose its flapper, I think it would be good to understand what to expect from a "normal" unit.
Old 06-23-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I've been using the DST800 for 3 years, and swap it for the blanking plug every time I sail. The jet of water you describe is normal, and the unit is working as designed. I've had no problems with the flap over about 300 swaps now.

What is at fault is your expectation. The flap is designed to reduce the volume of water during changeover, not to stop it.

My previous one had no flap - you should have seen the volume of water from that.

Think about the geometry for a minute - for the flap to fit flush inside the wall of the tube, it can't be a perfect fit inside it.

Last edited by MarkSF; 06-23-2014 at 11:50 PM.