Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-02-2014

Whispering Wind is on a distinguished road
Re: Airmar / Raymarine DST800 Transducer Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopalx View Post
Im going sailing on Sunday weather permitting so will video the removal of the blanking plug to compare.
Wopalx, get a chance to pull the plug?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2014

Whispering Wind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoobaGooba View Post
Just saw the video, thanks.

I'll pull my DST800 sender this weekend and check out the flow for comparison.
How bout you, WG, get a chance to pull the ducer?
Old 07-02-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

I'll pop my cork tomorrow. If you don't hear back, you'll know it did not go well
Old 07-03-2014

wopalx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Wind View Post
Wopalx, get a chance to pull the plug?
No the weather was ****. Will do it this weekend, as I really need to put the screws on Raymarine for a fix.
Old 07-06-2014

I was out for a sail yesterday so took a quick video of the water flow when changing the balancing plug for the transducer.

You can see clearly (through the water flow) that there is no flap or anything slowing the flow of water.

http://http://s789.photobucket.com/u...ary/Transducer

Last edited by wopalx; 07-06-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added link to video
Old 07-07-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wopalx View Post
I was out for a sail yesterday so took a quick video of the water flow when changing the balancing plug for the transducer.
I expect you were using one hand for the video. Ignoring that you are taking too long.

Have the plug going in ready to go in one hand with the arrow aligned. Use the other hand to unscrew the plug in place. With one plug in each hand you should be able to switch in two or three seconds. Fast lets in much less water than enters in 15 seconds.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I expect you were using one hand for the video. Ignoring that you are taking too long.

Have the plug going in ready to go in one hand with the arrow aligned. Use the other hand to unscrew the plug in place. With one plug in each hand you should be able to switch in two or three seconds. Fast lets in much less water than enters in 15 seconds.
Yes normally it takes me significantly less time. I was however wanting to show the water flow.
Old 07-07-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

From the amount of water coming in in that video, it does seem to me that you've lost the flapper.

For completeness, here's a link to the installation manual for this beastie - I assume you guys are following it to the letter? http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...20_install.pdf

Of particular importance here:
1. On the blanking plug, inspect the O-rings (replace if necessary) and lubricate them with the silicone lubricant supplied or petroleum jelly (Vaseline®)
I found out the hard way with my DST transducer that if the plug wasn't properly lubricated when you pushed it in the first time, due to the extremely close tolerances, pulling it out pulled the flapper out also.. but after doing that once and learning from my mistakes, I've been smearing Vaseline on the plug every couple of times I use it, in accordance with the instructions. I really haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by Classic30; 07-07-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2014

It was installed according to the instructions by a Raymarine agent so I can only assume they did it correctly.

There is heaps of lubricant on the transducer and the blanking plug so I doubt it's a lack of lubricant causing the issue.

I know from Raymarine that Airmar had some issues and altered the design a couple of years ago, below is what Raymarine sent me prior to us having the new one installed;

"Regarding the DST800 snap ring, the the ring design was revised as a result of NCR712, reducing the ring gap from 0.56 to 0.112112 in on Airmar ECO 09E0197 with an effectivity date of 02/18/2010. Airmar has implemented the change on all affected products and has purged all of the "old" snap ring stock. If you can provide the serial number(s) or date code of the affected units I will confirm the mfg date and whether these units were assembled with the old or new snap ring version.

As you may recall, the risk of the original valve becoming dislodged requires the ring to be positioned with the gap positioned directly over the valve hinge. Assembly instructions include the orientation of the snap ring with ring gap 180 deg from the valve hinge. An incorrectly positioned ring could occur during assembly, or during post-delivery handling. The ring can be rotated by hand from the "as assembled" orientation (180 deg from the valve hinge) during installation or subsequent handling. Please note, that with the snap ring gap located over the valve hinge (incorrect placement or subsequent manual rotation), the valve body remains securely retained within the housing, but includes a higher risk of failure due to the size of the snap ring gap and valve hinge. "
Old 07-10-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

I pulled my DST800 transducer today. Far less water ingress than seen in your video. I was surprised to see how well the flapper worked. Minor geyser 2-3 inches high.