Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Re: laptop choice

Depending on your needs, a MacBook Pro is a lot more powerful than an air and these days it's barely bigger or heavier. Barely uses any power. Charges at 60w for two hours and lasts for 9-11 hours.

Or you could for the ipad route which takes 12w and 3-4 hours to charge and lasts forever. Most of the people that go mac stay with them. Sure everyone complains they are overpriced but I think you get what you pay for. Is this ipad has issues today or breaks, outside of water damage I just take it to the apple store and hand it to them and they give me a new one. No receipt needed, didn't have to have bought it front the apple store originally. Just hand it to them they hand you a new one.

Plus retina display is just plain beautiful. Before I left I was doing some photo stuff and had my macbook setup next to my moms hp. I pulled the same photos I took up and the difference was astounding. You have to see them new to each other to really appreciate how your photos just "glow".

I rarely recommend a brand or product. It's that good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

A windows laptop thats cheap is the way to go because they dont last long in the salt air.

Any dc/dc converter from a cheap electronics shop is fine. It needs 19.5 volts usually.
zeehag likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2014

sck5 is on a distinguished road

heres a vote for panasonic toughbooks. had one for a year before sailing from Chesapeake Bay to the Caribe and back again. It was still working fine when somebody stole it a few months after I got back. Now I have another one that i got after the cheapie died on the way to Bermuda last year. Really good computers - expensive but you get what you pay for
Old 07-15-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I went the inexpensive highly compact route. I have a Lenovo Miix2 8" tablet. They can be found for as little as $200, and have a GPS built in (contrary to the dimwits who claim it does not have one). Extremely bright, daylight viewable display. I bought matte-finish screen protectors to knock out the glare ($6). I bought a RAM mount for viewing in the cockpit, with a second mounting ball for down below ($30). It runs off of USB power, so I have a 12v adapter that inserts at my binnacle. I bought a Travelon E-Reader pouch for when the cockpit gets wet ($12). You can't plug it in when it's in the pouch, but its battery lasts 8-12 hours depending on power settings. I bought Bluetooth mouse and keyboard for when I need to use it like a laptop ($30).

I liked it so much that I bought a second one for around the house. I take the second one with me on long boat trips in case in case the battery goes dead. My nav software runs off of a microSD card, so I just pull it out of one tablet and insert it in the other one.

The Miix2 8" may not be the right one for you, but it's worth considering if you want a lower cost alternative. It fits my needs perfectly, and has become my primary chartplotter device (running OpenCPN).

Amazon.com : Lenovo IdeaTab Miix2 8-Inch 32 GB Tablet : Tablet Computers : Computers & Accessories Amazon.com : Lenovo IdeaTab Miix2 8-Inch 32 GB Tablet : Tablet Computers : Computers & Accessories

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 07-15-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Here's my Omni 10.8 (also $200) running opencpn and repeating instru data from the raspberry pi down below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ynVimzjuI

Last edited by night0wl; 07-15-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2014

Jd1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
Here's my Omni 10.8 (also $200) running opencpn and repeating instru data from the raspberry pi down below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ynVimzjuI
Any chance of geting some more details on this setup?
What os does the Rasperry pi run? What data does the Raspberry pi collect, how does it collect it and how does it feed that data to the cockpit computer ?
Old 07-15-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

We have a lenovo yoga tablet 10. Wife loves it. We use MX Mariner app. Doesn't need wifi to navigate. Incredible battery life. Recharge w/ usb adapter to 12v. Was about $200
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 07-15-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

what i have found over my 3 1/2 years out of usa and in a nuce alleged 3rd world nation---
my chromebook by sm=amsung, 300 usd, a gift froma dear friend i never met, is only puter i have owned andbeen able to operate fro the entire length of time owned...lol funny aabout that.
u started with an acer netbook and compaq laptop. the compaq is now in zihuatenejo, parted out. the acer died a long slow miserable death from first, water on mother board...lasted 3 years aftr tht.. go figger..... was drowned iin a surf landing in la cruz de huanacaxtle...lol
and so i go to pawn shops, buy th ecutest cheapest lil netbook i can find. i now have an acer and a hp netbook, each is functioning well. they supplement the chrome book, as chromebook doesnt accept banda ancha, as it is based on linux, and usa, i cannot change that.
the 2 netbooks are windows based and easy to use, as it is windows 7 i prefer. one is somewhat designated for wifi amplification and routing, the other is designated for banda ancha, aka 3g dial up service.\
all i use here is a pawn shop for pricing, and a it guy to wipe it clean and start over with what i want, not what is included in a purchase package.
works well this way.
as most laptops only last a couple of years out here in salt-air-villle, why spend so much on one allegedly able to tolerate these conditions, when these are so inexpensive. it will just drown on your first surf landing anyway...lol

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

Old 07-15-2014

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
Any chance of geting some more details on this setup?
What os does the Rasperry pi run? What data does the Raspberry pi collect, how does it collect it and how does it feed that data to the cockpit computer ?
Hi,

I have a thread on sailnet about where htis project is going. Eventually, I want to get engine sensors to be put on the data stream too....Arduino based.

Arduino / Raspberry Pi based instrumentation?

Without hijacking this thread, here is what I did. I got kplex (google it). I followed instructions on the kplex site to setup a nmea repeater. I also had my pi configured as a wireless access point by running hostapd and a dhcp server. Again, stripydog site has instructions on this.

My instruments provide an RS232 output through via the Seatalk/Nmea interface box. I connected up a Serial/US converter to that. THe Raspberry Pi has a powered USB (very important) hub attached to it. The Pi runs standard Raspbian (debian based linux distro). Hostapd and dhcp were setup to run on start, and kplex is running as a service that also runs on start.

I have some issues though. Randomly, my nmea data stream gets corrupted and the checksums effectively filter out all the data. Working on figuring that out. I suspect its my el-cheap serial/usb cables...so I've ordered a couple of new ones based on the FTDI chipset rather than PL2303 chipset. People have better luck with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to night0wl For This Useful Post:
Jd1 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
I have some issues though. Randomly, my nmea data stream gets corrupted and the checksums effectively filter out all the data. Working on figuring that out. I suspect its my el-cheap serial/usb cables...so I've ordered a couple of new ones based on the FTDI chipset rather than PL2303 chipset. People have better luck with that.
Is your Seatalk/NMEA converter the Raymarine 85001? They can be very flaky.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.