Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-30-2014

BoatyardBoy is on a distinguished road
VHF mounting advice

I will be installing all the final goodies on my mast when I finally get back from offshore, I have had some questions regarding it.

First, my mast is 65' and the line from mast at keel to radio location is probably 15' or so. So well say 80' total run of wire. I initially ran RG-8x up the mast but soon found out too much loss(It will just be a spare for another antenna). So I'm ordering Beldon 9913F7 wire with Amphenol 083-ISP connectors from theAntennaFarm. I should be correct in this, yes?

The main question, I am using a GAM SS-2 whip antenna, and will be located at the top of the masthead, on the side of the mast. My concern is that I will also have a 3' aluminium pole with my red and green all around lights (red up top, green mounted near the bottom). I have read that you shouldn't mount the antenna near metal objects like this..

Am I OK with this or do i need to make a carbon fiber pole to mount the lights instead? Or will this be negligible and shouldn't worry about it. It's coming down to crunch time and I need to get the mast stepped.

Note: I chose to use red/green lights instead of a tricolor, as I think tri's are not a visible as the former option. As a profession mariner, this is my professional opinion and I already bought the lights.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF mounting advice

The metal pole for your lights WILL interact with your VHF antenna. Not recommended.

Off the top of my head you have two options. Best would be returning your lights and getting two red 180 degree lights and two green 180 degree lights. You can mount the reds on either side of the mast at the top and the greens on either side of the mast 1 meter down. Alternatively you can use the carbon pole you asked about. Note that the power wires running up the pole to the red light WILL interact with your VHF antenna.

Interaction is likely to be directionality as much as anything. That means you may think you have good performance because you can hear traffic from reasonable distance in some directions without realizing that you are missing pretty closely located traffic in other directions.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The metal pole for your lights WILL interact with your VHF antenna. Not recommended.

Off the top of my head you have two options. Best would be returning your lights and getting two red 180 degree lights and two green 180 degree lights. You can mount the reds on either side of the mast at the top and the greens on either side of the mast 1 meter down. Alternatively you can use the carbon pole you asked about. Note that the power wires running up the pole to the red light WILL interact with your VHF antenna.

Interaction is likely to be directionality as much as anything. That means you may think you have good performance because you can hear traffic from reasonable distance in some directions without realizing that you are missing pretty closely located traffic in other directions.
I see, well I looked at the 180° lights, I suppose I could return the 360 ones for exchange. Only thing now, would you recommend putting the lights on port/stbd or fore/aft on the mast? I was thinking port/stbd as the sails would cover up the fore/aft lights much more. What you think? I would spend slightly more on the lights but I would save time of fabricating the pole mount, especially if I had to do carbon. Plus not having transmission issues I would say it's even..

A picture with friends my mast head.
Old 07-31-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Only thing now, would you recommend putting the lights on port/stbd or fore/aft on the mast? I was thinking port/stbd as the sails would cover up the fore/aft lights much more.
Port/stbd. The biggest issue is avoiding interference with halyards and stays. Besides, that is what the superyachts do. *grin*

I have a combo tricolor (incandescent) and anchor (LED) light on Auspicious that has worked nicely for me offshore. I've often thought of fitting red over green lights and would definitely do port/stbd 180 degree lights. The idea is pretty far down my project list.

For the record (not relevant to you BoatyardBoy since you won't have a tricolor) red over green sailing lights may only be shown with deck-level navigation lights and NOT in combination with a tricolor.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2014

WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
I see, well I looked at the 180° lights, I suppose I could return the 360 ones for exchange. Only thing now, would you recommend putting the lights on port/stbd or fore/aft on the mast? I was thinking port/stbd as the sails would cover up the fore/aft lights much more. What you think? I would spend slightly more on the lights but I would save time of fabricating the pole mount, especially if I had to do carbon. Plus not having transmission issues I would say it's even..

A picture with friends my mast head.
An Isomat spar?
Old 07-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Port/stbd. The biggest issue is avoiding interference with halyards and stays. Besides, that is what the superyachts do. *grin*

I have a combo tricolor (incandescent) and anchor (LED) light on Auspicious that has worked nicely for me offshore. I've often thought of fitting red over green lights and would definitely do port/stbd 180 degree lights. The idea is pretty far down my project list.

For the record (not relevant to you BoatyardBoy since you won't have a tricolor) red over green sailing lights may only be shown with deck-level navigation lights and NOT in combination with a tricolor.
That's what I figured, just verifying said thought. Thanks, I'll post some pictures when it's done. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoobaGooba View Post
An Isomat spar?
Sure is, the NG-105, the big one. Do you have one as well?