VHF mounting advice - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
  #1  
Old 07-30-2014
SailRedemption's Avatar
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 305
Thanks: 116
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 2
SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
VHF mounting advice

I will be installing all the final goodies on my mast when I finally get back from offshore, I have had some questions regarding it.

First, my mast is 65' and the line from mast at keel to radio location is probably 15' or so. So well say 80' total run of wire. I initially ran RG-8x up the mast but soon found out too much loss(It will just be a spare for another antenna). So I'm ordering Beldon 9913F7 wire with Amphenol 083-ISP connectors from theAntennaFarm. I should be correct in this, yes?

The main question, I am using a GAM SS-2 whip antenna, and will be located at the top of the masthead, on the side of the mast. My concern is that I will also have a 3' aluminium pole with my red and green all around lights (red up top, green mounted near the bottom). I have read that you shouldn't mount the antenna near metal objects like this..

Am I OK with this or do i need to make a carbon fiber pole to mount the lights instead? Or will this be negligible and shouldn't worry about it. It's coming down to crunch time and I need to get the mast stepped.

Note: I chose to use red/green lights instead of a tricolor, as I think tri's are not a visible as the former option. As a profession mariner, this is my professional opinion and I already bought the lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 07-30-2014
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 3,658
Thanks: 0
Thanked 132 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 9
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF mounting advice

The metal pole for your lights WILL interact with your VHF antenna. Not recommended.

Off the top of my head you have two options. Best would be returning your lights and getting two red 180 degree lights and two green 180 degree lights. You can mount the reds on either side of the mast at the top and the greens on either side of the mast 1 meter down. Alternatively you can use the carbon pole you asked about. Note that the power wires running up the pole to the red light WILL interact with your VHF antenna.

Interaction is likely to be directionality as much as anything. That means you may think you have good performance because you can hear traffic from reasonable distance in some directions without realizing that you are missing pretty closely located traffic in other directions.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 07-30-2014
SailRedemption's Avatar
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 305
Thanks: 116
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 2
SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The metal pole for your lights WILL interact with your VHF antenna. Not recommended.

Off the top of my head you have two options. Best would be returning your lights and getting two red 180 degree lights and two green 180 degree lights. You can mount the reds on either side of the mast at the top and the greens on either side of the mast 1 meter down. Alternatively you can use the carbon pole you asked about. Note that the power wires running up the pole to the red light WILL interact with your VHF antenna.

Interaction is likely to be directionality as much as anything. That means you may think you have good performance because you can hear traffic from reasonable distance in some directions without realizing that you are missing pretty closely located traffic in other directions.
I see, well I looked at the 180° lights, I suppose I could return the 360 ones for exchange. Only thing now, would you recommend putting the lights on port/stbd or fore/aft on the mast? I was thinking port/stbd as the sails would cover up the fore/aft lights much more. What you think? I would spend slightly more on the lights but I would save time of fabricating the pole mount, especially if I had to do carbon. Plus not having transmission issues I would say it's even..

A picture with friends my mast head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 07-31-2014
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 3,658
Thanks: 0
Thanked 132 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 9
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Only thing now, would you recommend putting the lights on port/stbd or fore/aft on the mast? I was thinking port/stbd as the sails would cover up the fore/aft lights much more.
Port/stbd. The biggest issue is avoiding interference with halyards and stays. Besides, that is what the superyachts do. *grin*

I have a combo tricolor (incandescent) and anchor (LED) light on Auspicious that has worked nicely for me offshore. I've often thought of fitting red over green lights and would definitely do port/stbd 180 degree lights. The idea is pretty far down my project list.

For the record (not relevant to you BoatyardBoy since you won't have a tricolor) red over green sailing lights may only be shown with deck-level navigation lights and NOT in combination with a tricolor.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 07-31-2014
WoobaGooba's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3
WoobaGooba is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
I see, well I looked at the 180° lights, I suppose I could return the 360 ones for exchange. Only thing now, would you recommend putting the lights on port/stbd or fore/aft on the mast? I was thinking port/stbd as the sails would cover up the fore/aft lights much more. What you think? I would spend slightly more on the lights but I would save time of fabricating the pole mount, especially if I had to do carbon. Plus not having transmission issues I would say it's even..

A picture with friends my mast head.
An Isomat spar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 07-31-2014
SailRedemption's Avatar
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 305
Thanks: 116
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 2
SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Port/stbd. The biggest issue is avoiding interference with halyards and stays. Besides, that is what the superyachts do. *grin*

I have a combo tricolor (incandescent) and anchor (LED) light on Auspicious that has worked nicely for me offshore. I've often thought of fitting red over green lights and would definitely do port/stbd 180 degree lights. The idea is pretty far down my project list.

For the record (not relevant to you BoatyardBoy since you won't have a tricolor) red over green sailing lights may only be shown with deck-level navigation lights and NOT in combination with a tricolor.
That's what I figured, just verifying said thought. Thanks, I'll post some pictures when it's done. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoobaGooba View Post
An Isomat spar?
Sure is, the NG-105, the big one. Do you have one as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
SailRedemption's Avatar
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NOLA
Posts: 305
Thanks: 116
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 2
SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Port/stbd. The biggest issue is avoiding interference with halyards and stays. Besides, that is what the superyachts do. *grin*

I have a combo tricolor (incandescent) and anchor (LED) light on Auspicious that has worked nicely for me offshore. I've often thought of fitting red over green lights and would definitely do port/stbd 180 degree lights. The idea is pretty far down my project list.

For the record (not relevant to you BoatyardBoy since you won't have a tricolor) red over green sailing lights may only be shown with deck-level navigation lights and NOT in combination with a tricolor.
Just to show you how I mounted everything... The VHF and the maretron wind sensor aren't mounted yet as I was going to hook that up before I stepped it. Also, the windex isn't mounted either.
Attached Thumbnails
VHF mounting advice-uploadfromtaptalk1417145415341.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
SVAuspicious's Avatar
Mermaid Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: on the boat - Chesapeake
Posts: 3,658
Thanks: 0
Thanked 132 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 9
SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatyardBoy View Post
Just to show you how I mounted everything... The VHF and the maretron wind sensor aren't mounted yet as I was going to hook that up before I stepped it. Also, the windex isn't mounted either.
If the mast is still down you might want to make some Starboard spacers between the lights and the mast. Just an idea.
__________________
sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
AuspiciousWorks.com
beware "cut and paste" sailors.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
norahs arc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Saint John NB Canada
Posts: 127
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 2
norahs arc is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF mounting advice

Just a note re metal verses carbon fiber mast - carbon fiber is no better - it also is a conductor and will interfere with the radio. Now how much I am not sure but I wouldn't be concerned on my own boat If the SWR (standing wavw ratio) was within limits for the radio.
__________________
Catalina 27 Aft. galley, dinnet L/O
Saint John NB
Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 3 Weeks Ago
TakeFive's Avatar
Proud "picnic sailor"
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Swarthmore, PA
Posts: 2,761
Thanks: 6
Thanked 57 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 6
TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: VHF mounting advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
The metal pole for your lights WILL interact with your VHF antenna. Not recommended...
I'm glad you brought this up awhile ago - it's timely for me. I have a masthead whip antenna mounted against the port side of my mast, with a windex behind it. I've ordered a wireless wind transducer that I was hoping to install on an arm in front of the masthead assembly, and I'll also be replacing the manual windex since the PO mangled it a bit. I also have a small masthead anchor light as well, but it's short enough that it probably does not shadow the antenna.

I'd appreciate your advice on how to mount these things to avoid interference. I have all winter to fabricate extension arms, brackets, etc., to make sure both wind gadgets are not interfering. Just let me know what you suggest.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VHF Antenna Mounting: Masthead vs Stern Rail liveincolor Electronics 5 05-07-2012 11:29 AM
Mounting a VHF Radio in a Bulkhead Perithead SailNet FAQ 0 12-13-2011 10:26 PM
Advice from Boatyard on Mounting Radar cvsheppard Gear & Maintenance 12 06-03-2010 10:53 PM
Advice on handheld VHF radios sailingSammy Electronics 11 08-27-2009 01:45 AM
VHF/AM/FM splitter on my masthead VHF antenna tsenator Gear & Maintenance 11 07-20-2003 05:12 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.