Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2014

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
ipads or tablets with built in GPS

Apparently there is a Lenovo miix 2 tablet with this capability. Seems like there should be other choices out there, but after talking to the apple folks there is nothing in their product line that has this capability other than using wi fi which is useless off shore. I've been using a garmin product for over 5 years now that fits on my wrist that tells me my speed while I jog that has the built in gps antenna. You would think that tablets could have this capability without having to get a service contract with the phone company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-16-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road
Re: ipads or tablets with built in GPS

You don't have to have a service contract on an ipad to use the GPS. But you do have to buy one with the capability.

The other option is to buy a wifi only ipad and a bluetooth GPS. But this is the same price as buying the 3G version in the first place.
Old 08-16-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

I have a Asus Vivo Tab Smart with a built in GPS.

Open CPN and Centrafuse Localizer are the programs I use.

I recently added Navionics Central and South America
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-16-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Apparently there is a Lenovo miix 2 tablet with this capability. Seems like there should be other choices out there, but after talking to the apple folks there is nothing in their product line that has this capability other than using wi fi which is useless off shore. I've been using a garmin product for over 5 years now that fits on my wrist that tells me my speed while I jog that has the built in gps antenna. You would think that tablets could have this capability without having to get a service contract with the phone company.
I have both Miix2 8" model and iPad.

Regarding the Miix2 8", yes it does have GPS built in, and it works without any WiFi, though initial fix can take a few minutes if you're booting up a mile or so from where you last shut down. With WiFi it seems to get a faster initial fix, presumably because it has a good guess of your location from WiFi mapping. But it definitely works without WiFi (or 3G/4G).

Note that only the 8" models of the Miix2 have built-in GPS. The 10" and 11" models reportedly do not have GPS.

Also note that Microsoft's support for tablet GPS chips is a little odd under Windows 8. Out of the box, the GPS only works with Metro apps. Windows programs that are used to seeing GPS on a COM port or TCP port will not work. But there are free and low-cost utilities that will create a COM or TCP stream from the GPS, so that fixed everything.

I am shocked that any Apple Store employee would give you such incorrect advice. Apple tries to be better than that. If, on the other hand, "the apple folks" are Apple enthusiasts on Internet message boards, then you get what you pay for (or less). As Stumble said, buying an iPad with wireless 3G/4G capability gives you a fully functional GPS. It works perfectly fine when you're out of radio range (I've confirmed this with our own iPad). And if you don't want to pay for the wireless service, just don't buy it.

FWIW, I run OpenCPN under Windows 8.1 on the Miix2. I still like it better than any iOS or Android app I've tried. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-17-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
.....talking to the apple folks there is nothing in their product line that has this capability other than using wi fi which is useless off shore........
Given how long the iPad has been out, I'm truly amazed that this confusion persists. As noted, you do not require cell or wifi for the built-in gps receiver to operate. Apple simply bundles the cellular broadband capability with the gps receiver in their higher end model. You do need to buy the cellular capable model, which I find most likely what the rep told you, and that confuses people. You do not need to use wifi or cell or even purchase a contract for the gps to fully function.

However, without cell contact or wifi, it may take a minute or so for the gps reciever to determine it's initial location. That's because a wifi or cell signal of any kind is good enough to approximate your location on earth and have the receiver focus on the most proximate satellites, rather than go through them all. No reason to roll one's eyes, however. This is what any handheld gps does, although, some will assume your last known location and start checking there.

Our iPad has already been pressed into service as our backup nav in two very critical occasions, when our plotter failed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 08-17-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

We are pleased with our iPad with GPS built-in. For some reason the Navionics charts for the iPad sometimes show more than the Navionics Gold charts for the plotter.
Old 08-17-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
We are pleased with our iPad with GPS built-in. For some reason the Navionics charts for the iPad sometimes show more than the Navionics Gold charts for the plotter.
The Navionics on my Android phone has much more functionality than the Navionics HD on my Win 8.1 tablet.
T37Chef likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-19-2014

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

I have a Samsung Note 10 tablet (Android). It's the Wi-Fi only version, so no 3G or 4G, but still has the GPS chip. I also run the Raymarine app to link it to my e7 MFD. Not only very convenient, the tablet is a bigger display than the MFD.

Last edited by Brewgyver; 08-19-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dee-
We use a 3rd gen. iPad with built-in WiFi/Bluetooth/GPS with about half dozen Nav apps..but really like the iNavX app....and best if all...all free..thanks to Les's gazillion travel points..

Clay
S/V Tango
Old 08-19-2014

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

If iPad doesn't have GPS how did I get these two shots...

Or am I part of an Apple conspiracy? Damn it! You found me out! Elvis is the helmsman (mind you he is gettin a bit old even for that.)
BTW the chart one you are looking for the green dot under "Atlantic Ocean"... ummm but not under the ocean, if ya know what I mean
Attached Thumbnails
ipads or tablets with built in GPS-ipadgps.jpg   ipads or tablets with built in GPS-ipadscreenshot.jpg  
careygreen likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.