Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Question RS-232 to Bluetooth Converters

Does anyone have shipboard experience? I am looking at purchasing one perhaps two. Best brands? Best stores?

Thanks in advance

Fair winds and following seas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: RS-232 to Bluetooth Converters

Hmm. What are you planning to use it for?

I use Bluetooth (BT) on Auspicious for my computer printer and for headsets (phone and computer). I have wired back-ups for the headsets. Everything that uses BT has it built in.

I've done a number of Pactor installations with the Bluetooth option. I don't generally recommend it but I'll do it. Again, everything has BT built in at both ends of the link.

Janet has a BT mouse on her travel laptop that does have a BT dongle that came with the mouse.

Bluetooth operates in one of the Industrial Scientific Medical (ISM) bands around 2.4 GHz. These allow unlicensed radio operation for microwave ovens, cordless phones, WiFi, motion detectors, remote controls, baby monitors, and other devices. I don't think anything mission critical (like Pactor radio modems) should depend on ISM links. YMMV.

A flaky TV remote control or phone BT headset shouldn't interfere with HF radio e-mail.

I guess this isn't very helpful.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

I've been happy with the ones from USConverters .

Since I had to pay shipment form the USA, I bought one of each type (long range and short range) - the range is really quite impressive, and I found the short-range one quite enough for ship-board use.

It was quite confusing getting it to pair correctly, but once I did it's been fine ever since. They even use the proper chipset...
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Dave
Remote control of my TS-480 HX. The link to the Pactor modem is a hard link. I would like to be able to use the autotune feature of Airmail but don't want to have to run another hard wire from the TxRx box (buried in the stern all the way to the chart table.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
Remote control of my TS-480 HX. The link to the Pactor modem is a hard link. I would like to be able to use the autotune feature of Airmail but don't want to have to run another hard wire from the TxRx box (buried in the stern all the way to the chart table.
Ah. Okay - you know that Airmail can control the radio through the Pactor modem? There are two cables between the modem and the radio. I gather you mounted the radio (v. the control head) aft.

If the link fails you can still control the radio frequency manually so it isn't too fragile an idea.

Have you considered moving the modem to the radio? That would mean replacing the existing audio cable with a USB cable which you may not want to do either.

Have you sent a question to Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio? Gary will have a lot more practical information than you'll get here -- hundreds of installations a year, even if he sells hardware to other people that do the installation.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
I've been happy with the ones from USConverters .

Since I had to pay shipment form the USA, I bought one of each type (long range and short range) - the range is really quite impressive, and I found the short-range one quite enough for ship-board use.

It was quite confusing getting it to pair correctly, but once I did it's been fine ever since. They even use the proper chipset...
I've used the USConverters ones for 4 years. Took some work to initially configure, but flawless performance ever since. I spent the extra $6 for the industrial version just to be sure I had the most reliable connection. At the time the industrial version included a DB9 gender changer which came in handy at one point for configuring it. Not sure it still includes it.

I use the adapters for transmitting bidirectional NMEA 0183 sentences between my nav system and Win8 tablet. GPS and AIS come in to the tablet, and autopilot commands go out of the tablet.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

redline is on a distinguished road

I've used a Parani10 from Sena. Takes an NMEA feed from a Raymarine Seatalk-to-NMEA converter for a laptop, and more recently, an Android tablet. It works fine though I don't use it much, mostly just the E80/E120 MFDs for navigation. It's useful for trying out software on the PC or just messing about - my laptop is way too power hungry for day-long use anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
I've used a Parani10 from Sena. Takes an NMEA feed from a Raymarine Seatalk-to-NMEA converter for a laptop, and more recently, an Android tablet...
What Android software do you use to display the NMEA data? And what sentences do you display? (GPS only, or others like AIS, depth, wind, SOW, etc.)

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

redline is on a distinguished road

TakeFive, I use Sailtracker V2.1r31 (free). It displays lat/lon, COG, SOG, Relative and True Wind (as numbers and a dial), waypoint info (bearing, dist), even depth on a graph and a Polar plot (which I have yet to get working). Oh, and position on a map, too ;-)

Tags
bluetooth , rs-232