Standard Horizon MD100 neither speed or depth working right. - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SHNOOL
  • 1 Post By chall03

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-14-2014 Thread Starter
4ksb expert.

Standard Horizon MD100 neither speed or depth working right.

The unit that came with my boat is an MD100 multi-display.. it shows Speed, Log, and depth...

The unit appears to have 2 transducers, a sending unit through hull for depth (sounder), and a paddlewheel for speed... both look very well cared for.

The problem I am having is the unit turns on, and sitting at the dock reads 5.08 knots always (never changes, paddlewheel turns freely)... the depth instantly reads between 14-16 feet deep... it varies as I sail around the lake, between 14 and 16 feet.

I find it odd the NEITHER function works, when the unit looks fairly well cared for. I checked obvious connections, reseated transducer plugs, and traced wires with no visible cuts in wire anywhere.

Anyone have a clue if it's a bad set of transducers, head unit, or both?

I can find NO reference on Standard Horizon's website they even made this unit, closest equivalent they DO list is the MD150.

AS a follow-up, assuming the transducers are OK, can I use them with any modern electronic head units? Like a Raymarine Mulit-display?

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2015

Re: Standard Horizon MD100 neither speed or depth working right.

I have the same problem with my MD150. Reading the same depth range as you describe. I haven't tried this at the boat yet, but my research suggests your unit is likely in simulation mode and can easily be turned off my powering the unit on while holding the alarm/bell key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-13-2015
Picnic Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svShearwater View Post
I have the same problem with my MD150. Reading the same depth range as you describe. I haven't tried this at the boat yet, but my research suggests your unit is likely in simulation mode and can easily be turned off my powering the unit on while holding the alarm/bell key.
Yup.

Your unit is in demo mode. Someone has been fiddling with your buttons.

Don't feel bad it took me three years to figure it out on the MD 50 on my old boat.

To their absolute credit I emailed Customer Service at Standard Horizon about it( keeping in mind it is a 27 year old unit) and they got back to me within an hour with this info.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2015 Thread Starter
4ksb expert.

Bugger you guys could have likely saved me a bunch of $$... I couldn't find a manual on that unit either... Well that's a real drag.

But looking at the positive side of things... I DID purchase some nice replacements and I've added functionality with wind, and also am integrating a Tiller Pilot with a DSC, and GPS VHF, that will provide waypoint and steer to waypoint information... you know if I can get it all hooked up right.

Thank you both for the replies and help though... now to see if I can find the pieces from the transducers and display... if it still works it would be a good gift for a fellow club sailor.

Here's my replacement unit... being tested for the first time.
chall03 likes this.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-04-2015
Picnic Sailor

Nice!

Hey there comes a point when it is worth upgrading anyway.....

post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2015 Thread Starter
4ksb expert.

Chall, nope I am not complaining... I like that unit from SIMRAD... and it forced me to think about my tiller pilot too.. so now I've gone to a TP22, that does simnet, VHF with DSC, wind, depth, speed, temp... all talking on the same network.. this boats VHF was non-functional as well (wouldn't light up, but would turn on)... So it was likely just time to upgrade...

But that just goes to show you, the brainshare is always here... just gotta ask the question the right way.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-04-2015
Picnic Sailor

Hey....I was perilously close to replacing mine as well!!!

I wonder how many units have been replaced because of demo mode....

SHNOOL likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.