WIFI, Gofree with basic IS20 devices. - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BarryL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-18-2015 Thread Starter
4ksb expert.

WIFI, Gofree with basic IS20 devices.

I installed the IS20/Combi Wind simrad units.. these are older (4 or 5 years) simrad devices that show depth, speed, temp, apparent, and true wind. I also added a tiller pilot (TP22 simrad) which adds to the simnet (think of it as NMEA 2000) compass heading... Then I added (hopefully no way to test inside my pole barn yet) a NMEA 0183 interface Standard Horizon Explorer 1700 GPS with DSC, it talks to the tiller pilot, which as best I can tell the tiller pilot accepts that GPS data stream as if it were a "chartplotter" to allow for "steer to waypoint." Not sure about that one, but it'd be worth a shot to see once it hits the water... and it's not a huge concern to me if it doesn't do that.

But I THINK that also means the Tiller pilot takes that NMEA0183 stream and adds that data to the NMEA 2000 stream (simnet)..

My point is, I have all this cool information now streaming on a "Standard" bus now, and I was wondering if I could get the Gofree WIFI adapter here GoFree WIFI-1 module - Simrad Marine Electronics and get all that useful information now on my phone or tablet?

The gofree is a $199 device, and doesn't really look all that invasive. If it provides me more information, and allows me to throw up my Navionics at the same time or something... I dunno I could make some kind of poor mans multi-function display (or at least that is where my pea brain was thinking)...

Looking at the specs for the gofree, it seems like they are saying it really only works with their NSS chartplotters, using an app to remote display it for the device...

My question I guess is... if I spent $199 can I get all taht same data displayed on my phone that I have on my network somewhere. Can I do anything ELSE with that data once I have it?

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-2015

Re: WIFI, Gofree with basic IS20 devices.

Hey,

As far as I know, the gofree wifi module required a chartplotter. Your wifi device (phone, tablet, etc.) just mirrors the plotter display.

While the SH GX1700 will output GPS information on the NMEA0183 bus, I don't know how useful the information will be for your tiller pilot. Without a plotter, how will you enter waypoint information? Will you enter lat / long for all the waypoints? I see that you are sailing on a lake, so maybe that's acceptable.

If I were you, I would buy an inexpensive plotter and use that to display information and to control the tiller pilot. There are NMEA 2000 plotters for $500 and under. In fact, if you are interested in racing, I would seriously consider the B&G Zeus Touch 7. This is a 7" touch screen plotter with SailSteer display, NMEA 2000, the ability to display true and apparent wind, etc. Right now Defender has it for under $600:

B & G Zeus Touch T7 Touchscreen, Multifunction Display

Defender ALWAYS has big sales in the spring.

If you want to spend less, or want something else, Garmin has a 5" unit with built in wifi and NMEA for around $500.

Barry
SHNOOL likes this.

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-2015 Thread Starter
4ksb expert.

Wow good info!

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-02-2015
Puget Sound Pounder

I have a GoFree wired into my Simrad NSS12. It is an ethernet connecter with Simrad's proprietary screw in plugs. So you do need a Simrad/B&G MFD with the correct ethernet cable. Pretty easy to install. It works very well with my old iPad 1.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-02-2015
Puget Sound Pounder

And, btw, you cannot muck with the autopilot from the GoFree clients. They restrict that for obvious reasons. But all other data is there. I use it for setting way points which is nice to do from the cabin.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-02-2015 Thread Starter
4ksb expert.

Interesting. Ok maybe I'll put an inexpensive chartplotter on my "wish" list.

My goal is not to limit my boat to the lake I presently sail. I want the boat to be ready for dragging down and dropping on larger water for a couple weeks at a time. The thought was maybe acquire a slip in warmer waters for like the month of November, and keep the boat there to see A) how I like it with the longer drive an B) to explore different areas to see how I do. So my goal for this boat is a much larger one.

Several destinations are doable, are Chesapeake, and inland towards TN (where my brother lives)... I could keep the boat locally to him, allow him to sail it while I'm not there, and come down and sail it with him when I can manage the time. Final destination would be north, so would require losing some time locally (away from our race schedule) would be any one of the finger lakes. Some are a reasonable drive from my house 2-3 hours.

The thought has also occurred to me that I could move my boat to northeastern NJ lots of options there. My biggest gripe with doing that is the extra expense to have the boat there, and the nearly doubling of time it'd take to get there.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 03-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.