SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Vhf

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  aa3jy 
#1 · (Edited)
Couple of questions. We are looking at doing a 3 day 2 night trip on Superior and on the NPR website for the Apostle islands it says you need to have a radio. I am curious, is a radio required by law on the great lakes? We are in a 24 footer and aren't doing anything crazy, however to use VHF I would need a HAM license. The closest session is 2 hours away and is 4 days long, not happening anytime soon. Is there such thing as an online course? As I have found nothing for that. And I assume the FRM radios on UHF would be useless for contacting anyone or being contacted by a park ranger or the USCG?

Edit:
Found an answer on the HAM class. This site has the class online however it looks like the test must be in person. http://www.hamclass.net/

#3 ·
Yeah I was definitely going to have some sort of radio, just the freq type was the issue. So the descriptions for the products always say you need a HAM license for VHF, the mounted ones or handheld. Are there like super simple handhelds I'm missing?

#4 ·
As Donna said, you don't need a ham license. That license is ONLY for ham radio frequencies.

Being on a boat anywhere, a radio will be needed. You won't always be near cellular coverage to call for help.
Look at Marine VHF. Try looking at West Marine or similar store to see what marine radios are available.

Don't look at FRS radios.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I have a Baofeng that I bought after getting my ham license. I can't recommend it. My display crapped out in a couple months.

Buy a marine radio. The distress channel is a button to push. As are the weather channels. There is no programming or entering of frequencies.

It's a whole lot easier in the end.

Reactions: wallster
#7 ·
Daniel's advice is good!.....

If you don't have a marine store close, Amazon.com is a good source. Just search for "Marine VHF radio". You can find low cost hand held units like.... I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS ONE, just a low cost example....
Amazon.com: Cobra Electronics MRHH125 Compact Waterproof Marine Handheld VHF Radio with 1 or 3 Watts (Black): GPS & Navigation@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31IKiP-f57L.@@AMEPARAM@@31IKiP-f57L

Or higher quality ones for more $. OR, you can find ones you mount on the boat. You should get a MMSI number, but if not leaving the USA you can get it free from BoatUS ( https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/instruct.asp )
NOTE: "an MMSI number from BoatU.S. Is transferred into the Coast Guard MISLE database for use in Search and Rescue."

Greg

#10 ·
I get surprisingly good cell phone reception in the Apostles now, almost everywhere, but I still wouldn't rely on it.

This is the VHF I have:
Amazon.com : Uniden Handheld Floating Two-Way VHF Marine Radio (MHS126) : Frs Two Way Radios : Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31pF9vRbiyL.@@AMEPARAM@@31pF9vRbiyL

It has a weather alert feature that goes off when NOAA issues a weather warning for your area. The weather can change quickly on Lake Superior and since you'll be on a 24' boat that's something you'd want to pay attention to.

I'm chartering a boat up there in September, I'm really looking forward to it.

Be sure to report back on how your trip went!

#13 ·
I get surprisingly good cell phone reception in the Apostles now, almost everywhere, but I still wouldn't rely on it.

This is the VHF I have:
Amazon.com : Uniden Handheld Floating Two-Way VHF Marine Radio (MHS126) : Frs Two Way Radios : Car Electronics

It has a weather alert feature that goes off when NOAA issues a weather warning for your area. The weather can change quickly on Lake Superior and since you'll be on a 24' boat that's something you'd want to pay attention to.

I'm chartering a boat up there in September, I'm really looking forward to it.

Be sure to report back on how your trip went!
I sure will, was thinking sometime late August, been doing Winnebago mostly now.
Yeah I was actually looking at that radio yesterday and am deciding on probably doing the step down from that one, the MHS75. One thing that I thought was annoying is most come with car chargers instead of wall chargers, Ill have to get a DC outlet or something for the boat when I get the radio.

#14 ·
It's true. I do wish there was some kind of basic way to distribute the rules, without a license.

Licenses are often just a money grab and the theory of eliminating them was to encourage more boaters to have a radio. In today's age of cell phones, they might be less necessary for 90%+ of boaters, although, not unnecessary.

#15 ·
When you buy a handheld marine vhf radio, it won't operate on frequencies that require a license. However, they also operate at lower output power than an installed unit. All boat going out of cell phone range, should have an installed unit, IMO.

Here are some other feature to consider.

Weather channels..... most marine radios can access these.

DCS distress..... this was mentioned above. It also requires you to apply for an MMSI number, which can be free from BoatUS. However, the battery drain on a handheld when this feature is used can be notable. Get a power cord, many spare batteries, etc.

GPS.... some handheld units have a built in receiver. Great idea. Also worry about power drain and get that power cord.

AIS... I believe there are models that will receive AIS signals, which would alert you to the location, speed and direction of large commercial vessels.

Have fun shopping.

#17 ·
The Baofeng radio is a ham rig and not certified for the marine frequencies. You want a genuine marine-band unit that operates only on that band.

#18 ·
Keep in mind that a DSC radio wants to be connected to a GPS, otherwise you will have to manually input you lat and long at regular intervals when the alarm goes off. If you have to press the emergency button without a GPS connection you will have to manually enter your location for the distress call by going through the menus. This means knowing your actual location.
To be honest since I upgraded I leave my radio off more than I eever did before, if I'm just sailing the bay I don't need GPS and the constant radio location alarms drive me nuts, especially when single handing the damn thing always wants an update at the worst possible time!
There are some serious advantages to a dsc radio but in a simple boat that just needs a basic radio there are some drawbacks......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.