SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

All in one?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  seaner97 
#1 ·
Is anyone aware of a GPS/RADAR/AIS display that does it all in one (ie- a single overlay full screen)? Preferably with iOS wireless so I can use my iPad as a second screen? I've been looking at stuff on line to try to figure it out, but it seems that most of them have a a RADAR/GPS/depth/fishfinder, but the AIS interfaces either are a separate screen or add on that doesn't really look like it's integrated. Already have wind/depth/speed via old systems that don't really need to be replaced. It seems like this SHOULD be something that is out there.
And couldn't find this via multiple google searches over the last few months, so sorry if someone else finds it fast for me.

#2 ·
I'd assume most modern MFDs can do this (maybe not the iPad part). My Raymarine plotters can do this (e7 and a-something). There are a bunch of options but you can show AIS/chart/Radar all overlaid as a single fullscreen display. I often prefer to use split screen though: Radar/AIS on one half (oriented with my heading) and AIS/chart (oriented north up) on the other. My AIS module doesn't have it's own display.

The iPad thing is nice but it's not a true second screen, it shows the same thing as the plotter but you can carry it around and control the plotter with it. The only thing that doesn't work is autopilot control through the iPad app.

#3 ·
I was looking at the Raymarine and the Garmins, but it just wasn't clear from their literature. And my time off this summer I'm trying to spend as little time in Hamilton Marine as possible and as much on the water as I can.

#5 ·
On a small powerboat we recently setup the simplest one screen solution we could.

If you are putting an MFD on a boat, you probably are also putting a VHF radio. We combined a Raymarine MFD with an ICOM VHF which had built in AIS and connected them NEMA 2000. Simple, 2 boxes you need anyway. No extra box for AIS.

I believe you could do this with virtually any new MFD, and VHF with AIS.

#6 ·
On a small powerboat we recently setup the simplest one screen solution we could.

If you are putting an MFD on a boat, you probably are also putting a VHF radio. We combined a Raymarine MFD with an ICOM VHF which had built in AIS and connected them NEMA 2000. Simple, 2 boxes you need anyway. No extra box for AIS.

I believe you could do this with virtually any new MFD, and VHF with AIS.
Thanks, that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking to do, but was hoping to find one that had the wifi/iOS packaged as well, same box. I guess it's not critical, just would be nice. And really seems like something not just I would be looking for, but I guess I'm asking for too much. I actually thought I had seen a garmin package for sale once that did this, but can't find it or anything like it now.

#9 ·
Hey,

ALL the new models from Navico (which includes Lowrance, Simrad, and B&G), Garmin, and Raymarine include Charts, AIS, SONAR, and RADAR displays on one screen. They all do wireless to phone / tablet.

Not all will send RADAR to the phone / tablet, you will have to do additional checking for that.

Barry

#12 ·
Ok, looks like they all claim to do it in their new versions, which is cool. Anyone have experience with the wifi/iPad apps/tech difficulties?
And I'm assuming that one can use a different radome with these plotters? If so, any particular one that people have liked better from a reliability standpoint?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.