B&G v Garmin (GPS/Radar) - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 10-28-2015 Thread Starter

B&G v Garmin (GPS/Radar)

Hello All,

I'm about 6 weeks from pulling the trigger on an upgrade to either B&G or Garmin.

For B&G I'm thinking Zeus2 7 for Garmin I'm thinking 741xs or similiar. The cost difference is negligible. Since I'll be upgrading Radar next (most likely at end or next season). It's important or so I'm told, to choose now.

I'd like to hear specifically from those who have them installed. Please no comments from those who think or have heard or have read. I've got plenty of that on my own. I'm really interested in peoples first hand experience w/ these units.

I have an old st4000 as well (but heck it still works).
I also use ipads as secondary nav units both in cockpit and 'down under' in weather.

Thanks in advance for replies :-)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to glymroff For This Useful Post:
noelex77 (12-20-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-28-2015

Re: B&G v Garmin (GPS/Radar)

Hey,

I currently have a Garmin 740S. It came with the boat and is a nice unit. It integrates easily with other devices (autopilot, vhf, instruments, etc.). However, I'm thinking of buying a B&G Vulcan 7 to get the Sailsteer functions. The garmin doesn't do any of that. The 740XS might but I'm not sure. I expect the B&G unit will be $500 in the spring.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 Old 10-28-2015 Thread Starter

Thx for the input. I also looked at the Vulcan but it doesn't have the radar interface. Price is great for features though. Not sure but I think I read somewhere that the 740xs can do lay lines w/ firmware update.

post #4 of 43 Old 10-28-2015

Glymroff,

We just upgraded after a lightning strike, and you are indeed right about the lay-lines on the 740. They are really awesome. We went to the Annapolis show to see what RayMarine, B&G and Garmin had to offer last year. I really liked the Garmin's user interface and software but that was my preference, each one seems to make great gear. I found the Garmin very easy to use and I was pleasantly surprised when I first used the unit with the lay-lines, it almost felt like cheating. I also have a 18 HD radar dome, it is a very user friendly radar set, and I have not been disappointed. With the secondary device like an Ipad or phone, you can stream the radar to your device. This made running at night in NY harbor soooo much easier, I was able to walk up to my bow with my phone and still have a view of my radar display, but I think most vendors include an app now which allows you to have a secondary display. The radar has good auto filtering settings such as gain. I have only really had to adjust it when I was playing with it to practice with each setting. We also had the wireless G-wind unit installed. I like that unit, sometimes it acts up and drops connection, but I think that is due to the Blue Tooth when streaming Pandora to the Meteor Garmin stereo, from what I read I think the wireless wind and Blue Tooth are close in frequency. If you can, I highly recommend looking into the Garmin Meteor stereo if you are into music. I love being able to control it from my phone, or chart plotter. So far I have been quite happy with the 740xs and radar set. It has given me a lot more confidence to run in the dark around me.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
post #5 of 43 Old 10-29-2015

The B&G Zeus touch 12" is pretty much the same price as the Zeus 2 7 inch.. Pretty skookum deal in my opinion... I own the Zeus 2 7 inch and am kicking myself now!
post #6 of 43 Old 10-29-2015
turophile

I have the B&G Zeus2 9". I would not want it in a 7" because the fun things about B&G (sail steer and such) work better with more space. I wish I had the 12".

I have been very happy with B&G. There are a few minor interface things I think could be better (e.g. there are a few settings it doesn't seem to remember) and it has crashed once or twice, but not enough to be a real concern. (I get the impression that Garmin is more stable/mature.) But in general, the interface is very responsive and user friendly, the chart support is good, I have been pleased with the radar (upgrade from old RayMarine stuff), and I think that B&G has found the right balance between good multi-touch interface and physical buttons/controls for when you need them (wet hands, bouncy conditions, etc).

If I had it to do over again, I would still choose B&G, although I might go for the larger size.
post #7 of 43 Old 10-29-2015 Thread Starter

Travellerw:

I thought the zeus2 had more features than the zeus? Your wireless wind sensor stops working? I've heard this about Raymarines wireless as well. I think I'm leaning towards the B&G instrument package. I was considering the Garmin wind, but this is the first I've heard of someone with a problem with it.

Mr_f: What do you mean 'crashed', and what did you have to do when it happened?

thx
post #8 of 43 Old 10-29-2015

I install them all and am an authorized dealer for most. They are all pretty good but Garmin is the winner for me in;

-Least Amount of bugs, crashes & glitches

-Install it, set it up and never hear one peep from the customer

There is one brand with numerous products which I will no longer sell to the customer (and it is not a Navico, Garmin or Furuno product ) as their QC, or lack there of, has left me losing money on too many jobs. If you want that brand, and my installation, you buy it, I will install it, and if there are glitches, bugs, recalls etc. it is on your dime to deal with the manufacturer, not mine. I can no longer be the manufacturers "field tester", due to lack of solid design, and factory QC issues any longer....
bob77903 and jjackson18b like this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #9 of 43 Old 10-29-2015

Wow, that's very telling.
post #10 of 43 Old 10-29-2015

I have a Zeus2 7" and the B&G 4G Broadband radar. I must say that the 4G radar is outstanding. It uses less power in active mode than any of the traditional pulse radars use while in standby mode and has no main bang / dead area around the boat due to the FMCW technology. The close in detail is amazing as it will show your dingy being towed behind your boat and will even show mooring pennants (rope) extending from the mooring ball to the bow of a boat. Sightseer is really nice also.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.