SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Autohelm 6000+ clutch will not release

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TheCommander 
#1 ·
I have an Autohelm 6000+ with type 100 computer and a type 1 rotary chain drive. The clutch will not release when the pilot is placed in STANDBY mode. The clutch will release when master 12v power to the ap is turned off.

I have independently tested the 6000+ head and the ST600R remote control. Both exhibit the same problem when connected individually. The clutch will not release.

The clutch will not release when both the 6000+ head and ST600R are disconnected.

The clutch will release when I disconnect one of the clutch leads from the computer. The clutch voltage at the computer is 6.0V in either ap ON or STANDBY mode. I know that should be 12v, how disturbing is this?

Advice so far has been that the computer is at fault. I have not been able to find a vendor that will repair or replace that.

Some have suggested that I put a toggle switch at the helm in one of the clutch control lines to force a release ----- and tide me over until the ap controls can be upgraded. A new autopilot system is not at the top of my list to acquire.

This is all new to me. I've just owned the boat for a couple of weeks. My previous sailboats were daysailers with ob engines, not many systems to diagnose and repair.

Sure would appreciate help and advice on what should be done to make this autopilot useful. It works just fine when engaged.

See less See more
#4 ·
No PM received received, so guessed you have limitation with your account; anyway the email contact for repairing older Raymarine equipment is C250 at mydurango dot net and the guy's name is Dan Gerhardt. I can vouch for his excellent workmanship after having 2 AP100 computers and 1 AP display head successfully repaired at a modest price
Cheers
Will
neither of you guys can use the PM feature, as you don't have enough posts. I think it is 15 or so. but posting email address publicly is a good way to get spam-bots to send you lots of spam.

#8 ·
Hi W,

Thanks for following up!

Yes and no and yes?

In the IPYOA forum someone suggested putting a clutch disconnect switch at the helm. I finished installing a weatherproof toggle switch yesterday. It is inline with the black clutch control line from the AP100. Works like a charm. Press STANDBY and then switch clutch off. Reverse proc to engage. This clutch thing is a very common issue. I was referred to the Autohelm 6000+ manual that states the AP might occasionally lock and suggests installing a disconnect at the helm. Interesting they put this in the owner's manual rather than cure the bug that eventually became a permanent fault. Good thing Raymarine wasn't building computers for the Space Shuttle.

I've delayed sending the AP100 to Dan in Durango until after a vacation starting tomorrow, actually a reposition cruise from where I purchased the boat in Rock Hall MD to NYC. My kitchen cabinet of advisors are split on leaving well enough alone, waiting till end of season to remove and send to Dan or sending asap. I'm leaning on leaving it as is. Have had experiences where sending stuff out for repair comes back with new problems. Always a risk of breaking something when removing, reinstalling and damage/loss in transport. And we're talking about this now rare beast of a working OK AP100. Wouldn't be cheap to replace. --- The Raymarine chain drive unit will work with most vendor ap computers. My plan on eventual electronics upgrade is to put in a new ap system and mfd chartplotter AND wire/keep the 6000+ in place as backup. The current ap backup system is an unused Sailomat 600 wind vane steering system. I would need a cargo container in tow with all the extras that came with the boat. The Sailomat is going on eBay soon.

Opinions welcome please.

#10 ·
After a 210nm voyage from Rock Hall MD to new homeport at Keyport YC in Keyport NJ, decided that the interim solution is permanent. The Raymarine 6000+ system worked very well and it became natural using the clutch disconnect switch. I'm not going to remove and ship a working AP100 anywhere. Might break something else in transit and they can't be replaced.

I have not had a chance to list the windvane yet on eBay. It's a low priority. If you are interested that can change. It is a Sailomat 600. Lightly used would be an understatement. I'm pretty sure it has never cruised, some of the components look new. First owner bought it as backup to Raymarine 4000 ap and in ten years, only did one rt cruise from Chesapeake to Bermuda. Second owner (I purchased from) never used it. Kept in his home attic. Mounting bracket is unwrapped, in factory new packaging.

Best,

Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.