SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Expense of connecting new Yanmar 4jh57 engine to Raymarine chartplotter

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Richard0 
#1 ·
I have replaced my Yanmar 4Jh-hte with the new Yanmar 4jh57. After 8,800 engine hours the old power plant didn't seem ready to match the vitality of the boat. One of the nice things about the new engines is the electronic data available of the panel. The engine control unit (ECU) allows for access to alot more information, including engine operation and oil and water temperatures and current fuel consumption (fuel rate), throttle positions, load percentage, etc.

My only complaint now is the expense to be able to see the panel data on the Raymarine chartplotter. It seems that would be quite simple. The whole idea of NMEA 2000 was to make data flow easier between systems. The industry seems to have used it to make things more difficult.

To use and view the engine data within the chartplotter we would have to buy converters of Yanmar's CAN bus to NMEA 2000 to be able to feed the data to our Raymarine chartplotter's SeaTalkng backbone. I thought it would be a simple plug and play, but it requires an ECI 100 CAN converter ($569.80), an ECI 100 harness ($984), a CAN converter harness ($245.77). All of this just to be able to see the data that's already being monitored and displayed on the C-Panel. The C-Panel display is small and requires a scroll through of data. Not the safest way to maintain situational awareness.

This should be simpler and cheaper than it appears to be. Has anyone else been through this? Any suggestions?

See less See more
#5 ·
Although I'm right there with you, though I personally have a couple more light than you(breathes on nails, polishes on shirt smuggly) no bid deal, ha! I can see the virtues of having a new electronic engine like his connected to a screen. It might allow him to see real time numbers for load, fuel consumption, digital rpms, as well as your basic engine info like we common folk have.

But is it worth the cost, to us probably not, to him maybe..

To the OP, check out Maretron website. They have some connectors for Yanmar just not sure which one.

See more @ redemptiverepair.com

#7 ·
I got RS-11 from noland engineering -- It is NMEA 2000 but they have an adapter cable to Seatalkng. I have my Universal M30 talking to my raymarine instruments just fine. I swapped my oil pressure idiot light sensor for a dual sensor (light + gauge) so have oil pressure, water temp, tach, voltage. I display it all on an i70. I think all told it was about $300. No fuel burn ..

Les

#9 ·
The open source community has launched a System K initiative that can by pass much of the expensive proprietary NMEA standards. They already have a number of instrument displays displayed on a web server so with a wireless router it can be viewed on a tablet, cell phone or laptop. Bothe NMEA standars were obsolete networking envionments by 1990.

The Digital Yacht iKommunicate, which looks to be an adaptation of a Rasberry Pi, is an off the shelf application of the System K for under $300.

#10 ·
Just to resurrect this old post.
Things have moved on. A Russian outfit called Digital Yacht have produced a plug in gadget that converts the Yanmar J1939 protocol to nmea 2000 protocol and puts them both in your nmea network. Cost about £200.
Has anyone tried this?
As well as engine parameters, this could potentially read diagnostic codes via a laptop with YD's free program - anyone tried that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.