SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Defender?

4K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  chef2sail 
#1 · (Edited)
I' interested in whether anyone else has been having trouble with Defender lately.

I have tried to use their customer service form on the website several times over the last week, and it gives me an error message. A few hours later, I receive an acknowledgement.

After seeing the error message, I sent an email DIRECTLY to Defender customer service. I have filled out the form, received the error, and sent an email at least 3 times in the past week. Still no joy...

Here is the email
I am looking for a Raymarine Seatalk NG to NMEA 2000 cable that is 1 meter long.

I see that Defender carries item #: 255562 Brand: Raymarine Model #: A06045, which is 16" long. Raymarine also makes the A06075, which is 35" long, but I cannot find it online. Can you get this cable, and if so, what would be my cost?

Thank you!
They used to reply very quickly to inquiries such as the above. I have bought from them in the past, and was always pleased with the speed of their shipping, and their prices were good, if not the best.

I did not buy a pair of winches from them, as their list price was $400 more per winch than I found elsewhere. After working with their customer service this difference dropped to $150/winch ($300) more, so I purchased the winches elsewhere.

I am now looking at buying an entire AIS system from them, and this cable is part of that system. A search in SailNet turns up a couple of older rants about Defender customer service. I am getting nervous about buying from them if they cannot respond to a simple question...

See less See more
#5 ·
Within the past few days, Ive had problems in using Defenders on-line customer service forms, etc. I simply called directly and got an immediate answer to my query. No problems encountered with online ordering.

FWIW - the Defender customer service request on-line form has an anti-robot routine (a check box) that MUST be checked; and, it appears it must be checked IMMEDIATELY (it probably has a time limit once your open their email request/service form) or the 'submit' button on that service form apparently doesn't become 'active' and your query, etc. is not submitted.
Unfortunately, they've removed their direct email address; so, if you're having problems, are blocked using the 'submit' button .... try using the telephone.

#6 ·
Hey,

About a month ago I used bought a new compass from Defender. I did my research and selected the particular one I wanted. Defender had it in black, ui wanted white. I called them and they special ordered it for me, no problems at all.

As others mentioned, just give them a call.

Barry

#8 ·
In order to offer the prices they do, Defender has to be as efficient as possible. I would suspect the lack of response may be technical or related to staffing. I agree with everyone who said that you should just call. I have never had a problem contacting Defender and purchase all my supplies thru them.

#9 ·
My experience with Defender has been okay, not great. When I've talked to them in person, they've been gruff and they occasionally take their time getting stuff out the door to UPS. I also find their website to be busy and poorly organized. That said, their sale prices are often great and most of my transactions have been trouble-free.

#10 ·
A call to Defender got me the answer to my question ($42), and I placed an order for a complete AIS System for almost $1K, including the cable. Defender asked me to follow up by sending them my MMSI certificate (US regulation) via email. Once they had that, I was assured that the order would go out the same day. I replied within 20 min.

That was two days ago. I called them after 4pm today to check on the status, and learned that no one read my email or followed up with me. The customer service person that I spoke with read my MMSI back to me, and assured me that the order would be processed tomorrow. Thus, my order has been needlessly delayed by another three days...

#15 ·
A call to Defender got me the answer to my question ($42), and I placed an order for a complete AIS System for almost $1K, including the cable. Defender asked me to follow up by sending them my MMSI certificate (US regulation) via email. Once they had that, I was assured that the order would go out the same day. I replied within 20 min.

That was two days ago. I called them after 4pm today to check on the status, and learned that no one read my email or followed up with me. The customer service person that I spoke with read my MMSI back to me, and assured me that the order would be processed tomorrow. Thus, my order has been needlessly delayed by another three days...
Update on this; the order did eventually ship, but it took them 6 days (4 business days) to get the MMSI programmed. I believe that had I not followed up with several calls and emails to verify that they had the correct information, and to push the process along, that the delay could have been longer. I received the complete order 8 days after I placed it.

#13 ·
I'll state it again... Ships same day, I always get the package next business day. Things are always what I ordered, and usually cost less than anywhere else.

I've spent thousands with them in the past, and will likely spend thousands with them in the future. Always call them if you have an issue.. they will work with you.

#16 ·
Hey,

Good for you to follow up. Too bad you needed to do that but I guess the programming requirement makes things more complicated.

Here is my typical defender story:
My boat is going to spend the winter in a slip.
I checked my dock lines from two years ago. Too much wear on a few of them.
Order new lines from defender at 3:00PM on Thursday, 10/13.
Friday 10.14 at 2:00PM the lines arrived at my house.

Barry

#19 ·
I agree! Usually when I order something "off the shelf" from Defender, I receive it THE NEXT DAY.

I grew concerned when I did not get a reply to a product inquiry email to Customer Service. (I think I wrote about that in this thread.)

However in this case involving an AIS transponder, where once my order is taken, it requires additional information (which I sent MULTIPLE times) and then required work by their "electronics guys," the ball was dropped (and seemed to roll around for a while) during the handoff between departments. It required extra effort by the customer (me) to get the order to shipping.

#17 · (Edited)
Defender is one of the best there is hands down. They are consistently one of my best suppliers. In late July I ordered a new Origo 6000 galley range for a customer. It was the last one in stock and Defender was no longer going to stock that model. As such I had them examine it before I ordered and it was in perfect condition. Defender even takes pictures of each and every order that goes truck freight before it leaves Defender. I had not previously known that..

On the day it got here I had to be there to sign for it. I was also supposed to open it and examine it before signing and letting the trucker leave. I waited and when the truck arrived the driver was apologetic and claimed he was sorry for running late. I looked at the pallet and box and it looked ok. In order to not slow down the trucker I signed for it, a big mistake on my part...

A day later I cut it open and it was clear the stove had been dropped and re-packaged. I called Defender and explained the situation honestly. I told them I did not inspect it before signing because the box "looked good" and the driver was "in a rush" and "running late". This was not my first truck freight delivery from Defender by any means and I had never had another issue even with inflatable boats.

Defender then, much to my surprise, emailed me multiple photos of the pallet and boxing before it left the Defender warehouse. What I received, and what Defender shipped, WAS NOT THE SAME. The trucking company, A. Duie Pyle, apparently dropped or damaged it but then apparently spent considerable time trying repackage and to mask and/or hide the damages. They made it look damn good but the glaring red flag was it was placed back onto the pallet upside down from how Defender had shipped it.

The bottom of the stove had been totally mashed and was not even close to repairable. Defender stood up, as usual, and went above and beyond, even for a wholesale customer whom they make very little profit on. They immediately got the ball rolling on a new stove, shipped direct from Origo, and issued a recall ticket for the damaged one. Even though I failed to inspect the stove Defender made it right at no cost at all to me or my customer. Thanks Stephen!!!

While I do have wholesalers who give me better pricing, and I feel bad and really wish I could buy more from Stephen & remain competitive, his customer service, in this industry, is about as good as it gets.

#21 ·
Hey,

I had a VERY similar experience.

I ordered a large whisker pole from defender. The pole was too long for UPS so it was shipped, at considerable expense, via truck. The A Duie Pyle driver was nice enough and unloaded the pole. I noticed one of the ends was crushed. "Hold on driver" I said. After I unwrapped part of the pole I saw that that the pole had been damaged and the jaws on the end would not open. The driver was pissed, but I would not accept the delivery.

I called Defender and expected to get told to deal the with the trucking company, etc. Instead, Defender shipped another pole to (at their expense) and dealt with everything.

Barry

The trucking company, A. Duie Pyle, apparently dropped or damaged it but then apparently spent considerable time trying repackage and to mask and/or hide the damages. They made it look damn good but the glaring red flag was it was placed back onto the pallet upside down from how Defender had shipped it.

#22 · (Edited)
I order a lot of gear from Defender but have switched to The GPS Store for electronics.

Evidently Defender had some kind of a tiff with Garmin and no longer carries their products.

So I started looking for at vendors and discovered The GPS Store (www.thegpsstore.com).

They're at all the boat shows and the guys are very knowledgeable about what works with what and what parts, cables, etc. you'll need. I've always found them price competitive and extremely prompt answering questions.

So far I've ordered a complete Garmin instrument package for our boat (NMEA2000), a chart plotter, Standard Horizon VHF, and Fusion stereo along with all the various adapters and wiring to install it all.

No connection with them other than a VERY happy customer.

Jim

Reactions: TakeFive
#23 ·
I've used GPSstore a number of times also. Always very fast service and very informative website. Definitely the go-to place for any RAM mount equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.