SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Raymarine dragonfly

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  IvanP 
#1 ·
Hello, I am looking to install some type of depth finder on my sailboat. And wondering whether the dragonfly might be a good option as opposed to standard straight digital readout? I would appreciate your feed back. Thanks

#2 ·
I can't comment on that particular product. However, I got the transducer to go with my Lowrance chart plotter. I love it. Gives much more information about what is going on down there. With a bit of learning one can get an idea of the bottom for anchoring. Plus, if you happen to have a fishing pole handy...

#4 ·
I have a Lowrance Hook 4. I think that's in the same price range, or less, than the Dragonfly.

I really only needed a depth display, but the way I looked at is that I could spend $100 and get just depth, or I could spend $300 and get a chartplotter that shows the bottom, shows fish, shows speed, AND depth.

#5 ·
I just left a longer answer in the Seamanship and Navigation section about the chartplotter only version of this unit, which I own. The summery is that it is a really nice chartplotter, but it doesn't network. So because of that I wish I had spent a bit more so that I could add AIS info. But as a chartplotter I am really happy with it. I've heard good things about the depthsounder on the combo unit, but I haven't used it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.