SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

FAKE NEWS showing on my ST60 Tridata!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Julnevermind 
#1 ·
Hi all, I do post a lot on Hisse et Oh, French speaking forum, but can't manage to find a solution for this particular issue, maybe you guys could help me:

I'm experimenting some issues with the depth on my Raymarine ST60 Tridata.
My Raymarine setup consists in*:
- 1 ST60 Tridata
- 1 ST60 Wind
- 1 ST6002 (Geonav 4C linked to it) + ST4000 Tiller

My boat is a 1993 Gib’sea 302 Plus

Here’s the full story. Since I bought the boat, depth never worked, showing «*DEPTH --- « without blinking (boat in and out of the water, same issue).

- I thought it was the old airmar through hull transducer or the old wiring to the screen (since I couldn't hear the transducer ticking), so I just replaced everything with a new airmar P79 inhull transducer and complete new wiring up to the screen (a 5pin connector is originally mounted on the wire). Wire length is 14 meters.

- I glued the new tranducer with silicone to the bottom of my GRP hull far ahead the keel. The echo zone on the hull is all clean, no silicone leftovers in the field.
- I filled the pot with olive oil and fastened the transducer. It should be enough oil since it poured when I fastened the transducer to the pot.
- The 5 pin connectors on the wire seems properly connected and secured.
- The excess of wire (+-10 meters) is rolled 50cm away from the transducer.
- The 3 spades seem properly secured on the screen. The 3 connectors seem perfectly clean.

This is what I get*(transducer fastened in the pot, tranducer in a water bucket, transducer in the water close to the boat (knowing that depth is 2,30 meters at this exact place)*:

When I turn the electronics on*:
- At first, «*DEPTH ---«* appears, without blinking
- After 5-10 minutes a crazy number appears, like «*DEPTH 96,20 meters*» without blinking
- 30 sec/1 minute after, the number freezes and DEPTH starts blinking.
- After +-30 minutes, the number will drop (example 30,20m, still far away from the reality) and re-freeze, with DEPTH blinking.

WHEN I TURN THE ELECTRONICS ON AND DON’T WAIT FOR A NUMBER TO APPEAR*:
- If I try to unplug the 5 pin connectoir on the wire, the 3 dashes will be replaced by changing numbers (changing every second, still crazy figures…70m, 90m, 80m…), DEPTH not blinking.

- When I replug the 5pin connector*: After like 20 sec, the number will freeze and DEPTH will blink again.

Offset value is on zero.

Any idea where to start*?

Thanks in advance,
Julien

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi all, I do post a lot on Hisse et Oh, French speaking forum...
Thanks Julien, i appreciate the link, for those of us who speak French.
jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.